Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » fish and chips with tartare sauce

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fish and chips with tartare sauce
unfinished thought
Member # 15848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for unfinished thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The crispy fish with its caper dip is a British favourite

-

SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE TARTARE SAUCE

* 2 egg yolks
* 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
* 1 tbsp white-wine vinegar
* 200ml vegetable oil
* A squeeze of lemon juice
* 1/2 red onion, chopped
* 1 tbsp gherkins, roughly chopped
* 1 tbsp capers, roughly chopped
* 4-5 green olives, chopped
* A small handful of parsley, finely chopped

FOR THE FISH AND CHIPS

* 6 tbsp plain flour
* Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
* 8 large Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into chunky chips
* 4 x 150g cod fillets
* 6 tbsp cornflour
* 400-500ml ale

METHOD

1. To make the tartare sauce, whisk together the egg yolks, mustard and vinegar. Start to add the oil, a few drops at a time at first, whisking constantly. As the mixture begins to emulsify, add the oil in a thin and steady stream until you have a thick and creamy mayonnaise. Taste, season with salt and pepper and add a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir in the onion, gherkins, capers, olives and parsley. The sauce should be piquant, chunky and have the consistency of very thick double cream.
2. To make the fish and chips, mix the flours together with a pinch of salt. Whisk in enough ale to make a batter with the consistency of double cream.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan or deep-fat fryer to 140C. Cook the chips for 8-9 minutes, or until just tender, and set aside. Turn up the heat of the oil to 190C. Working in batches, dip the cod into the batter and drop carefully into the hot oil, which should immediately sizzle. Shake the frying basket gently so they don't stick, and fry for 3-5 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.
4. Return the chips to the hot oil for 2-3 minutes more to crisp. Serve at once with the cod and tartare sauce.

Posts: 504 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmm now that looks good....... i want long johns now...

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
mmm now that looks good....... i want long johns now...

LOL. awesome. love me some long johns, mmmm ,hush puppies!
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
made me hungry had to fix a ham sandwhich... i dont feel like driving today too dang cold...

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm, not a fan of the ham [Big Grin] how about some pb and j?
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com