Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Do Egyptians Eat Kibbeh and Akowi?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do Egyptians Eat Kibbeh and Akowi?
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys,
I wanted to know if egyptians were fond of kibbeh and akowi? B/c i love them both . I cant find a pic of akowi, but its this white cheese that goes on top of bread, like a pie.

-

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder that too. A turkish friend gave me the recipe for kibbeh. Grossed me out until she said, you can cook it too. lol

The akowi, is that like cream cheese?

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah! the first time i had kibbeh was at a turkish restaurant (they called it something else) and then i spotted it in a lebanese restuarant and i hit it up whenever i go to an arabic restaurant (actually i havent in a long time, apparently its a fat-attack). [Frown]

noooo, its like, the most magical cheese in the world. Like- something like mozarella, but when its heated, it stays soft and chewy longer.

Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shebah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm that sounds good.

This it?

Akawi cheese: an unsalted cheese made of sheep’s milk, similar to fresh mozarella, used to make savory pies.

http://www.commercefoods.com/commercefoods.com/revrigerated.htm

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Posts: 2133 | From: Redneckland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

yeeeeeeeeah
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is another great cheese called arish, that is usually left outside to age in a ball and then kept in a jar of olive oil. Then they roll it in phyllo like a little spring roll and cook it. I think its called rakaka or something.
This is popular in Syria and Lebanon, but I don't know about Turkey or, for that matter, Egypt. Egypt, no, I think not.
I love kibbe. Cooked.

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Arish.......this reminded me of my friends kid. His name is Arash. Beautiful name. But the others made fun of him. Called him a rash.

Hadn't thought of that in a while. Intersting how off topics can remind of things. LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Hibbah
Member # 12156

was he persian?

theres this dorky persian singer named arash- he has a really good song though.

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Yes he is. His father is Persian, and mother Mexican. Our kids went to school together. his father is my dentist. Gives me 50% discount. [Smile] But most of the time I'll get 3 like 3 things done, and pay 50% for the cheapest. LOL It is near impossible to pay ME peoples for things. Even when you owe them. LOL

I think they said it was a hero from poem or something. I like it. Really a pretty name. Especially when it's said in native tongue. Really a pretty sound.

That's where I learned to make Baathm juun and theat rice with dill, limas, and tachini. Don't know the name. lol

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akawi cheese is great!

My husband makes the best konafa with it. He slices it thin, then soaks it in water to remove the saltiness.

Instead of a cream filling in the konafa, he uses the cheese. YUMMY!

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

konafa ::Drool::

theres this bakery in Queens, called Lazeeza- and they have the CRAZIEST konafa in the world. When I was leaving Ny- i went and i ordered two gigantic trays of it, ended up costing 65 bucks, and the guy thought i was nuts [Smile] but i was taking it as a gift for my khalas since it was eid.

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
Ok call me an idiot but I'm confused. lol

Lazeeza reminds me of lazeez but a girl. [Embarrassed] What does Lazeeza mean? [Confused]

Khalas reminds me of khalos, khalas, ???...... like enough! So what does it mean here? [Embarrassed] [Confused] Possibly uncle?

Sorry, but well....I am learning. hehehe

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

Hibbah
Member # 12156

ahaha, thats awesome.

please dont read my posts and interpret them as correct arabic- i dont know what im talking about.

Lazeez means delicious, so i dont know why they stick a tarmaboota at the end and make it lazeeza. either way- it means delicious (Actually its ladheedha, but oh well)

and khalas - im mixing arabic and english. Khala (aunty) + = aunties . [Smile]

khala is urdu too.

actually, so is lazeez.

Shebah
Member # 12165

Rate Member
hehehe
got it now. [Wink]

But I'm really having a hard time with associating our Lazeez as delicious. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

LOL

--------------------
شكرا و أللام عليكم
شيبى

vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com