EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Scientist's study classifies different shapes of noses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scientist's study classifies different shapes of noses
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are 14 types... but which one is yours? Scientist's study classifies different shapes of noses
By FIONA MACRAE Last updated at 12:59 AM on 12th July 2011

It is not often that he tops polls for his looks.

But Wayne Rooney has one of the most attractive noses in the country, according to researchers.

The Manchester United star’s nose –or rather its snub shape –has been deemed among the most appealing by an academic who has completed what he claims is the first survey of its type to classify and record the different shapes of the human nose.

-
The snub: Wayne Rooney scores well with his ‘attractive’ nose

-
The Duchess: Kate’s straight-edged shape is a favourite with artists

Before Rooney lets the compliment go to his head, however, he should know that those with snub noses are often viewed as lacking in maturity, warns the researcher.

Professor Abraham Tamir toured shopping centres in Europe and Israel, taking candid photographs of people with interesting noses. He then sorted the 1,300 pictures and matched each with a face on a painting or other piece of art.

This revealed there to be 14 types of nose, with classifications ranging from ‘fleshy’ to ‘celestial’.

The most common, particularly among men, was the fleshy nose, best illustrated by Prince Philip, which featured on almost a quarter of all the faces studied.

Writing in the Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, Professor Tamir says those with such a nose are likely to be generous, emotional, helpful and sensitive.

-
The fleshy: As seen on Prince Philip, the most common nose.

-
The hawk: Barbra Streisand's sharp profile is 'unattractive'

-
The Mirren: Queen actress Helen's is thin and pointed

-
The Greek: Fabregas's classic shape is often found on models

-
The aquiline: Daniel Radcliffe's nose symbolises a cool tactician

-
The Roman: With a sloping tip, Tom Cruise’s shows ambition

But it is not all good news. In the professor’s opinion, both the ‘fleshy’ and the ‘hawk’ –such as Barbra Streisand’s –are among the least attractive.

The Roman nose, seen on actor Tom Cruise, was sported by almost 9 per cent, who were ambitious, courageous and clear-thinking.

Another classic, the Greek, as borne by Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas, were found on just 3 per cent.

Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe joins the 9 per cent who sported an aquiline nose, said to symbolise a cool tactician with a business mind.

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vwwvv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
The Rumpole: One in 200 have a bulbous beak like Leo McKern

-
The Celestial: Carey Mulligan’s turned-up shape is a beauty

Some 13 per cent had celestial noses, with celebrity examples including actress Carey Mulligan.

These, the professor believes, are most attractive along with the snub noses found on 5 per cent, and seen on Wayne Rooney. But while the snub shape may be attractive, it is not necessary a blessing.

Professor Tamir, of Ben-Gurion University in Israel, said: ‘The snub nose is a small nose sloping upwards at the tip. People with this frequently lack spiritual and physical maturity.’

-
The Lenin: Broad with large nostrils, found on one in 25

-
The Redknapp: Just one in 50 have a nose like Spurs boss Harry

-
The Nixon: A rarity, fewer than one in 100 had a presidential proboscis

-
The Tara: Just one of 1,300 studied had a nose like Palmer-Tomkinson

Kate Middleton, however, can also claim an attractive nose. Her shape was frequently found in paintings, suggesting artists saw it as a thing of beauty.

Simon Withey, of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, said the results would have been different had the survey been done in another part of the world.

‘Women like a nose like Angelina Jolie’s –a very delicate nose with not a lot of bulk,’ he said.

‘Men like straighter noses. In general people don’t like fleshy tips or excessive bumps.'

Posts: 1365 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But you never know. Whites are into rhinoplasty for over 100 years now. That's why cosmetic surgeons are among the richest surgeons.
Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
14 "types" of noses and no coincidence that they ALL belong to Europeans right? More Eurocentric quack "science". These media hacks will call anything a "scientific" study it seems.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Exactly what I was thinking.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7103 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this thread is garbage

and not science

Posts: 42954 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It'd be interesting were this more comprehensive, but it's still interesting to me.

So they only polled Europe and Israel, oh well get over it. Where's your studies?

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Oh well get over it"? Who put the stick up your azz? And asking "where are your studies?" has no bearing on the critique (which is legitimate).
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwwvv
Member # 18359

Rate Member
Nubian nose

FAMOUS EXAMPLE: President Barack Obama
 -
Passion and creativity ... Obama has a Nubian nose

This nose is long and wide at the base. It signals creativity and passion. Those with nubian noses are always thinking of new ways to approach problems and are instigators of change.

They are open-minded, curious and expressive with their emotions. As a result they tend to be very charismatic, with people naturally drawn to them. Sometimes their emotions get the better of them and they flare up, but their natural charm helps them to make amends.

Snub

FAMOUS EXAMPLE: Muhammad Ali
 -
Snub ... Muhammad Ali's nose indicates a quick-witted person

This nose indicates someone who is quick-witted -both physically as well as mentally.

They can think fast and tend to be more streetwise than your average person.

They also react quickly to situations but sometimes can react too quickly, which may lead to aggression.

Chinese face readers believe snub-nosed people make attentive partners.

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tink of four examples right off the top of my head, but none of you (or anyone reading) likely knows any of them (I did), they are of two races, two white, two mine / Ali's.

That meet that description, three of them (two white) the nose type, maybe just the two.

Thoughts are quick and last no time at all. And I would believe the Chinese face-readers on my two examples, but:

Obviously my gut and first instinct on this nose-shape hand-palm -esque fortune telling is that it's obviously non-sense.

Also, the study may be nonsense but as above (and thank you vwwvv) as my gut told me, Eurocentric or not, some of the types could probably extend to different races.

Wondered about the Lenin snub and the bird types (Hawk and Fleshy). And perhaps the celestial, and wonder (present tense) about the named types just above post responses and the Nubian and if which ones are actual types verses only being specific noses.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, you know u're the last person i'd call bush or razz. [Roll Eyes]

I guess I'm not the only one guilty of seeing myself as less than I actually am (thus associating/embarrasing myself with animals).

We're all prone to self-esteem issues is what I've always known. I mean I stopped hanging out with that muppet ... cuz, Chike..Chike!!?? You gotta be kidding me bro... ok i'm now solo [Big Grin]

Posts: 525 | From: Terra | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com