EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Contemporary writers (African Americans or English native speaker) & philosophy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contemporary writers (African Americans or English native speaker) & philosophy
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing I love about James Baldwin is that he was the one (and Ralph Ellison of course) who led AA literature from "the angry and bitter Black man" [Richard Wright, the elder. With out Richard Wright, there would not be J. Baldwin] into "self-awareness" or out the shell from "victim hood" beyond what slavery or colonialism brought along. I have not read much of his works, but I can't remember if he wrote anything related to philosophy [he seems to be very repugnant on the idea religion; especially when it comes to Christendom], but I am sure he read Foucault and was influenced by him.

I want to ask if you know any Black writers [native language, English] who transcended James Baldwin's et al era?

I don't know many AA contemporary writers, and I am very interested in the field philosophy and social science (monetary). Do you know anyone? There is Cornel West, and this brilliant and genius young man [only 32???]; Brad Stone
http://myweb.lmu.edu/bstone/

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apocalypse
Member # 8587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apocalypse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwame_Anthony_Appiah
Posts: 1038 | From: Franklin Park, NJ | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Thank you for the link! If he has a wiki page then he must be a well established figure.
Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:
The one thing I love about James Baldwin is that he was the one ...who led AA literature from "the angry and bitter Black man" ... into "self-awareness" or out the shell from "victim hood" beyond what slavery or colonialism brought along.

This of course is your own subjective interpretation. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ who else than those two men? Wasn't Invisible Man a breakthrough? I don't mind to be enlightened in public.

(to those who have not read James Baldwin; he was NOT! a sell out. Do not make a mistake!)

Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Forgot to add this link under:
http://myweb.lmu.edu/bstone/writings.htm

currently reading "The Philosophy of Power".

Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
^ that is Brad Stone's website. I don't know who the White man is.
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:
^ who else than those two men? Wasn't Invisible Man a breakthrough? I don't mind to be enlightened in public.

(to those who have not read James Baldwin; he was NOT! a sell out. Do not make a mistake!)

It really doesn't matter, I deconstructed their texts and came to different conclusion. [Roll Eyes]

-

Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Afronut Slayer
Member # 16637

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Afronut Slayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most serious AA writer was Ned the wino. Look him up!

--------------------
A recovering Afronut

Posts: 604 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
quote:
It really doesn't matter, I deconstructed their texts and came to different conclusion. [Roll Eyes]
What conclusion?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com