EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Anti Intellect self hate and cultural subversion-Why conscious music ain't mainstream

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti Intellect self hate and cultural subversion-Why conscious music ain't mainstream
ReelDeal
Member # 17015

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ReelDeal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During a music discussion, a colleague of mine gave his reason for the said demise of conscious music, such as

it doesn't bang in the club

it doesn’t bump in the car

girls don't wanna have sex to it

which may all be true but in the study of cultures societies and the people that define those institutions music reflects the culture of a people and depending on the culture it is used for ceremonial(example birth funeral spiritual mundane enjoyment etc) purposes special occasions and individual and collective MEMORY. The main unifying factor is a method of TRUE SELF OR COLLECTIVE EXPRESSION/ MEMORY TELLING YOUR STORY.

Being that we live in the U.S.A. the purpose of music gets confused in the cross cultural transmission that is Black American and Corporate American. I think you first have to ask

What is the purpose of MUSIC? But you see that depends on your

Culture.

The purpose of music in a Black American context was never for entertainment purposes only and that is a fact you can research.

So with all that said the excuses people make for subpar music that bangs in the club in my opinion are because of Anti intellectualism which stems from self hate(and Americanism) in where you cannot strive to be smart or well versed on several topics since popular perception says niggas are only good for dancing acting a fool and singing and since America is dumbed down overall, many Black folk just follow suit.

Which leads to cultural subversion saying in my opinion whenever a PILLAR OF YOUR CULTURE (MUSIC) is pigeonholed to the role of making corporations a safe quick buck and banging in the club(I.E. entertainment) that is evidence of cultural subversion.

So in conclusion

Niggas afraid to think express self and put it in song because they don't want to alienate a population stuck in dumbassification, Self hate and cultural subversion or niggas who don't know music has a greater purpose than getting drunk dancing and getting lap dances.

Music ties into memories..... can you remember where you were when you FIRST heard a song that you really really REALLY liked? How can this new rapping bullshit be the soundtrack to niggas lives?

Posts: 3 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viola75
Member # 17981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viola75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dont listen to it, look for not so commercial forms of hip hop,rap etc
Posts: 142 | From: england sw | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Music ties into memories..... can you remember where you were when you FIRST heard a song that you really really REALLY liked? How can this new rapping bullshit be the soundtrack to niggas lives?

So true.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dana marniche
Member # 13149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dana marniche   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:

So true.

Agreed - I guess there's always a first time. [Razz]
Posts: 4226 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com