EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » What death-defying beast is said to have visited ancient Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What death-defying beast is said to have visited ancient Egypt?
Larkspur
Member # 18592

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you help me answer this question?
What death-defying fanciful beast is said to have visited ancient Egypt every half-millennium or so?

Thanks!

Posts: 18 | From: Massachusetts USA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^The Bennu bird, also referred to by the Greeks as the Phoenix due to its association with resurrection and re-birth. It was said to appear every five hundred years.

More here:
http://www.egyptianmyths.net/phoenix.htm

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rahotep101
Member # 18764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rahotep101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One extinction-defying beast to appear in ancient Egypt was a woolly mammoth, according to some interpretations of this picture, from the tomb of Rekhmire:

-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posts: 870 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Does it appear every "half-millennium or so", and how was it "death-defying", like say, a Bennu/Phoenix? More than one possible answer will lead to a higher probability that he/she gets the answer to the question wrong so I think we should only focus on mythical beasts that FULLY match the description he/she's looking for.
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AswaniAswad
Member # 16742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AswaniAswad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Bennu/Phoenix was considered the ancient elder of rebirth. Is it true that the phoenix would bury its dead in a single grave and return back to it.

The only Monster i can think of is Apep,but they slew him every morning or else everything would be fucked up.

I wonder what this Beast is and does it have any association with Apep.

Posts: 410 | From: Al-Ard | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://youtu.be/HCUdOhG__d4
click me^
Ammit may fit the bill in the realm of myth he got his start in the Sahara
 -
 -
Nice doggie heel boy heel.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Ammit is actually a FEMALE as noted by the feminine name.
Posts: 26239 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com