EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » What is the story of the Thawb?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the story of the Thawb?
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered where this garment came from. Obviously the indigenous people wouldn't have a need for the head-to-toe protection from the Sun that the garment affords.

So who invented it and when?

-

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thawb like the daffa, chador, and other concealing clothing are definitely not indigenous to Arabia but were introduced to the region by peoples of northern origin, specifically the non-black peoples who are the elite of Arabia today.

You can actually see the ancestors of light-skinned 'Arabs' or Asiatics in ancient Egyptian art as well as other artwork created themselves such as in ancient Assyria etc. You may have seen Asiatic men for example wearing daffa in tomb paintings and murals.

Original Arabian clothing was not much different from Africans with both men and women commonly going topless while wearing skirts. In fact there are even recent images from the 18th and early 19th century of dark-skinned or black women in rural parts of Arabia going topless. Apparently the Islam practiced in these areas was very lax unlike today.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)
Member # 15400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AGÜEYBANÁ II (Mind718)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
I've (edited) always wondered where this garment came from.

Not saying where it came from, but living in desert areas, you perhaps might want to protect your skin against the sand when the wind blows it at your body and face. Just a suggestion.
Posts: 6572 | From: N.Y.C....Capital of the World | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure people on line here can tell you it can get down right cold in the desert areas especially at night, I did shore patrol back in the day in Bahrain and I can tell ya it was all pea-coats,gloves and watch caps.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti - I could find no definition or picture of a Daffa.

Brada-Anansi - Robes for warmth, are quite different from a Thawb

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ My Arabic is likely wrong, but daffa may refer to clothing for men. Specifically the thawb and galabiya.

-

tomb mural of thawb predecessors

-

-

Many pictures of Asiatic men are shown topless with short skirts

-

other pictures show men wearing long shawls or 'coats'.

-

-

^Notice above that the darker skinned Asiatics are topless while the lighter skinned ones wear thawb.

It's true. That Egyptians and other Africans didn't go topless all the time as there were cold temperatures as well. We know those who could afford it wore linen robes, while others simply wore shawls over their scanty clothing. But it is not of the same design as the thawb type clothing.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com