EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Depictions of Foreigners in Non Western Tradition..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depictions of Foreigners in Non Western Tradition..
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This idea came to me from another Forum. I found it interesting as a topic. Most depict Europeans but you don't have to post just Europeans.

-

The Chinese impression of the Daqin (Roman) people, from the Ming Dynasty encyclopedia Sancai Tuhui (The caption reads: The Country of Da Qin, is where western businessmen are gathering. The king wraps his head by cloth in pyramid shape. This land produces coral, gold, brocade with pattern, silk cloth (without pattern), pearls, etc. )

More on the Chinese Impression of the Roman Empire..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daqin

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nanban Foreigners..

-

A group of Portuguese Nanban foreigners, 17th century, Japan.

-

A Portuguese carrack in Nagasaki, 17th century.

Nanban (南蛮 lit. "Southern Barbarian") is a sino-Japanese word which originally designated people from South Asia and South-East Asia. It followed a Chinese usage in which surrounding "barbarian" people in the four directions had each their own designation, the southern barbarians being called Nanman. In Japan, the word took on a new meaning when it came to designate Europeans, the first of whom were Portuguese, arriving in 1543. The word later came to encompass the Spanish, the Dutch (though these were more commonly known as "Kōmō", 紅毛, meaning "Red Hair") and the English. The word Nanban was thought naturally appropriate for the new visitors, since they came in by ship from the South, and their manners were considered quite unsophisticated by the Japanese.

Note: Although they were considered uncivilized Europeans had quite an impact on Japan which led to its eventual Industrialization.

More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanban_trade

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
More on the Nan-ban Period in Japan

-

16th Century Japanese Nanban screen
showing the arrival of Jesuits in Japan Circa 1549

-

Six-panel Byobu screen showing Portuguese missonaries and Japanese women playing musical instruments. Nanban trade period, Japan; 18th century CE.

-

Black lacquer lunch box showing European foreigners. Japan, Nanban period, 18th century CE.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
 -

The Codex Azcatitlan is a pictorial Aztec codex, detailing the history of the Mexica from their migration from Aztlan to the Spanish conquest of Mexico and Christianization

-

Codex Telleriano-Remensis Folio 44R
Nuño Beltrán de Guzmán on his conquest through the province of Xalisco (Jalisco) in 1529

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Three ethnic catagories as depicted by Ethiopian artist. Asiatic, Abasha and Nilotic people.

Sorry for the small size....

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Malik Ambar India,Slave turned general, merchant,turned regent,turned king.
 -  -

African Merchants in China

-  -
Portuguese Merchants In Benin

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Battle of Adwa

Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
 -
Fon cloth appliqué inter African foreign depiction.
According to most sources I've read about this subject a large part of the avo (appliqués) of the Fon people of pre-colonial kingdom of Dahomey (Danxome) was depicting Fon warriors were depicted as red(cf.Suzanne Preston Blier 1995, 2001) as opposed as their neighbouring opponents, both being nevertheless dark-skinned Africans being indistinguishable from a foreign eye.
http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/sutra6872.php
By poster Arara Sabalu.

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
 -
Son of Taharqa Prince Ushankhuru in bondage, Assyrian

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Meeting of Chinese, Japanese and Dutch

-

Chinese depictions of Europeans..(and Americans)

-

African depiction of Europeans

-

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Africa
18th century Pendant (brass) of a Portuguese Horseman, Benin

-

Portuguese captain and his black retainer (brass)

-

Ivory salt cellar, Bini-Portuguese style, Nigeria

-

rahotep101
Member # 18764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rahotep101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an Indian carving, commissioned by Tipu Sultan of a tiger mauling an Englishman... something I know no-one hereabouts would wish to see replicated...

-

Posts: 870 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
^^^^
No one in their right mind wants to see anyone mauled by a Tiger, but people who disrupt the forum on covert disinformation missions get no respect.

But lets keep this thread free of Bickering and fighting, Thank you for the image please post more as this is an interesting topic.

rahotep101
Member # 18764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rahotep101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African carvings of Queen Victoria:

-

-

Posts: 870 | From: uk | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rahotep101
Member # 18764

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
^^^^
No one in their right mind wants to see anyone mauled by a Tiger, but people who disrupt the forum on covert disinformation missions get no respect.

But lets keep this thread free of Bickering and fighting, Thank you for the image please post more as this is an interesting topic.

You're welcome. That tiger carving is quite interesting. It contains a mechanism so that it makes a growling noise if you wind it up.
rahotep101
Member # 18764

Rate Member
This is another Indian one, of an Englishman who has come to a better understanding with the native wildlife...

-

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chinese:  -

Japanese:  -
Suminokura red seal ship with foreigners. Kiyomizu-dera Ema painting

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Here is more from India..

-  -

on the Left is Lord Dalhousie(James Andrew Broun Ramsay) according to Indian Traditional Art..

The man responsible for "Modernizing" India...More on Lord Dalhousie..

http://www.indhistory.com/dalhousie.html

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please contribute to my thread:

Topic: for veteran posters: post photos of AE artifacts you've never seen posted before

in Egyptology

Posts: 42935 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, this thread is an eye-opener for me.
Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Ya know what that makes of imperial Rome where that sort
of thing was just the first act morning games show warm-up?

-

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
^^^^

quote:
Originally posted by rahotep101:
This is an Indian carving, commissioned by Tipu Sultan of a tiger mauling an Englishman... something I know no-one hereabouts would wish to see replicated...

-

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread!

quote:
Originally posted by Brada-Anansi:

-  -
Portuguese Merchants In Benin

Wow, thanks Brada! I've been searching for examples of these after I heard them talked about in BBC's "Story of Africa" programme. Nice. [Smile] Are you aware of any others?
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Will try Sundjata I am sure there is,
Lioness I wanna broach your thread but it's a very difficult task E/S is how old? and tons of pics to wade through if you want be true to the spirit of the thread it will be a toughie .

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
 -
Edo culture, Benin Kingdom, Nigeria. Hip Pendant Depicting Portuguese Face, 1500s-1800s. Brass. The Metropolitan Museum of Art,  -

Nyau Chewa culture, Malawi. Mask of Elvis Presley, 1960s. Wood, paint, fiber, cotton fabric.

-

Kongo culture, Democratic Republic of Congo. Figure of a European Missionary Reading to an African

-

Thomas Ona Odulate (active 1900-1950, Yoruba culture, Nigerian). European Couple Walking the Dog, 1935-1955. Wood, paint.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com