EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » is there any ancient author that states that Phoenicians practiced cremation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is there any ancient author that states that Phoenicians practiced cremation?
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive notice archaeology claim that "Phoenicians" practice cremation
but is this supported by authors of antiquity?
can anyone show me a quote from an ancient author that supports this claim

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we go any further, have you done any effort yourself? Have you ever questioned that?
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the questioner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i have
and i couldn't find it

now are you going to answer my question?

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Posts: 861 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the questioner:
yes i have
and i couldn't find it

now are you going to answer my question?

I take it, that if you didn't find anything, there is none. I consider that you're a researcher par excellence. Am I not right?

What classic authors did you look for btw?

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
herodotus, diodorus siculus, strabo etc

--------------------
Questions expose liars

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why do you care if the Phoenicians practiced cremation?
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
the lioness
Why are you asking me this question?
im not here to chit chat
im here only for the answer to this question

--------------------
Questions expose liars

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the lioness
Why are you asking me this question?
im not here to chit chat
im here only for the answer to this question

Let's say they didn't, then what?
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
then they didn't

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
But for now the references say they did. So that is the starting point. However, there are some sources which say they practiced both.

I will look up sources by herodotus, diodorus siculus, strabo.

Did you look at classical Greek or translations.

quote:
One site south of the Litani has lately seized the imagination. Just east of Sur this autumn, a Spanish team discovered a graveyard with dozens of earthenware urns and cremated Phoenicians. One of them, Laura Trelliso, sits outside in the sunshine in the Al-Bass ruins in Sur and peers into a pot of what used, more than 2,000 years ago, to be a person.

They were buried, Trelliso says, with wine jars and plates, possessions or gifts taken to the grave. Badawi says, too, that he worked on the excavation of a cemetery discovered in 1997, where many of the graves had cremated remains in one jar, buried alongside an empty jar – perhaps kept for the soul. Among the dead they found carved Egyptian-style scarab beetles and comic art. The Phoenicians, it seems, were as adept at adopting international trends and making jokes as the modern Lebanese. “They didn’t take life seriously,” says Badawi.

However, he says, “We would like to find more artistic material from the Phoenicians and more inscriptions.” It’s a romantic, and indeed a Romantic, idea, and Badawi points to lumps on the hilly horizon where settlements were and where he would eventually like to dig. The Phoenicians are credited with inventing the alphabet, but there is precious little in the way of written material to analyze

Read more: Phoenicia from the ashes http://phoenicia.org/phoenicia_from_ashes.html#ixzz3t65aYbUq
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
The Cultures of the Tophet: Identification and Identity in the Phoenician Diaspora (in Gruen, Cultural Identity and the Peoples of the Ancient Mediterranean, 2011, 388-413)

https://www.academia.edu/533889/The_Cultures_of_the_Tophet_Identification_and_Identity_in_the_Phoenician_Diaspora_in_Gruen_Cultural_Identity_and_the_Peoples_of_the_Ancient_Mediterr anean_2011_388-413_

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
 -

-

-

-

http://www.janzour.com/Museum.htm

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
whose to say those are not the graves of Ancient Greek colonists in Phoenicia

are you asking if i read in Classical Greek?

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
Archaeology is a theory if it does not have an ancient tradition to back it up

however if ancient tradition backs up archaeology then it becomes very close to fact

the ancient people always have the biggest advantage over archaeologist by being eye witnesses of the time

the only thing an archaeologist can do is present theories

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
whose to say those are not the graves of Ancient Greek colonists in Phoenicia

are you asking if i read in Classical Greek?

Indirectly yes.

quote:
Archaeology is a theory if it does not have an ancient tradition to back it up

however if ancient tradition backs up archaeology then it becomes very close to fact

the ancient people always have the biggest advantage over archaeologist by being eye witnesses of the time

the only thing an archaeologist can do is present theories

1) Translators can lie, has been proven. (I am almost sure, some will hide info intentionally)
2) Eye witness could have exaggerated.
3) History is written by the winning team.

But yes, I do think it's a combination of these which makes it more credible.

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
yes i cross reference
1) i agree you should read the oldest version
2) but that is only a theory
3) but that is a cliche

i will repeat
"the ancient people always have the biggest advantage over archaeologist by being eye witnesses of the time"

no one can tell you better about the 60s than someone who lived during the 60s

so we are at the mercy of Ancient Traditions

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
2) Well, actual trantalted sources have confimed this. Take the Romans for instance, in North Africa. As did Greeks btw.

3) Unfortunait but true.

quote:
"the ancient people always have the biggest advantage over archaeologist by being eye witnesses of the time"

no one can tell you better about the 60s than someone who lived during the 60s

I agree, but who do you expect to tell it?

quote:
Survivors of Black Wall Street Race Riot Still Haven’t Received Any Reparations

-

-

Some financial observers attribute the black community’s economic woes to our unwillingness to financially support black businesses. Well, back in 1921, in a Tulsa, Oklahoma community named Black Wall Street, a dollar circulated 19 times before leaving the community. That was before a white mob destroyed the town. Given the ferocity of the attack and the complicity of Oklahoma police, one would think that by now survivors would’ve been compensated for what they endured, but they haven’t been.

“I can not apologize for the actions, inaction and dereliction that those individual officers and their chief exhibited during that dark time,” said Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan in 2013. “But as your chief today, I can apologize for our police department. I am sorry and distressed that the Tulsa Police Department did not protect its citizens during those tragic days in 1921.”

Real reparations, however, come in dollars and cents, not words.

http://breakingbrown.com/2014/07/survivors-of-black-wall-street-race-riot-still-havent-received-any-reparations/

-

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Sorry for the typos above.

2) Well, actual translated sources have confirmed this. Take the Romans for instance, in North Africa. As did Greeks btw.

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
ish gebor
can you give me an example of an exaggerated source in antiquity?
and how do we know for a fact that it is exaggerated?

The Hebrews were not victors but they still have their history (bible)

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
ish gebor

Herodotus the father of "Lies".
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ish gebor

Actually the Bible - "ANY" CHRISTIAN BIBLE - is NOT a HEBREW account of their religion/s:

IT IS A GREEK ACCOUNT OF THEIR RELIGIONS!

(The Septuagint).

Read about it here:

http://realhistoryww.com./world_history/ancient/Misc/The_Bible2.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only HEBREW account of their religions is the "Dead Sea Scrolls".

(Discovered in 1947: The Khazars and the Pope will NEVER let the public see them, because they will be completely different from what you have been taught).

This is what the Jews say about publication:

Publication: For the first 40 years after their discovery, the study of the thousands of text fragments was monopolized by fewer then a dozen international scholars, all great experts in their respective fields. This limited team size prevented the speedy publication of the texts. In the early 1990s, the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) took major steps to advance the publication of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Hebrew University Professor Emanuel Tov was nominated as chief editor and the publication was divided among about 100 international scholars; by 2001, the majority of the official editions had been published and were located in academic libraries.

At the same time, concern for the Scrolls’ physical condition led the IAA to establish a conservation lab dedicated solely to the conservation and preservation of the Scrolls.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
^^^^

Ha,ha,ha,ha:

Being bullsh1ted by Jews is no better or worst than being bullsh1ted by anyone else.

The bottom line:

After 68 years of "SUPPOSED" translations, you still can't read a TRUE and AUTHENTICATED Dead Sea Scroll manuscript.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
"IT IS A GREEK ACCOUNT OF THEIR RELIGIONS!"
this is equivalent to saying rap music is England music because people rap in English

there is not a single Greek prophet mentioned in the bible

it was the Hebrews who translated the Hebrew bible into Greek

i understand that many Hebrews lived in Greece and Ptolemaic Egypt

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
ish gebor
how do you know for a fact Herodotus is a liar?

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"IT IS A GREEK ACCOUNT OF THEIR RELIGIONS!"
this is equivalent to saying rap music is England music because people rap in English

there is not a single Greek prophet mentioned in the bible

it was the Hebrews who translated the Hebrew bible into Greek

i understand that many Hebrews lived in Greece and Ptolemaic Egypt

Your ignorance and stupidity is EXTREMELY annoying.

I could understand such a STUPID response if I had not offered a history - but I did!
Read it you boob, THEN if you still don't understand - ASK A QUESTION!

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
i understand that according to ancient tradition the Hebrew bible was translated into Greek by Hebrews who spoke greek

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
quote:
i understand that according to ancient tradition the Hebrew bible was translated into Greek by Hebrews who spoke greek

Ha,ha,ha,ha:

Care to source that tradition?

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
mike111

Philo of Alexandria who is a Hebrew who can speak Greek

--------------------
Questions expose liars

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
quote:
mike111

Humph - Ya he could speak Greek, only problem is:

HE COULDN'T READ HEBREW!

Look up his wiki.

the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
quote:
mike111

Humph - Ya he could speak Greek, only problem is:

HE COULDN'T READ HEBREW!

Look up his wiki.

that's only a theory

doesn't change the fact that he was a Hebrew

kdolo
Member # 21830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdolo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'doesn't change the fact that he was a Hebrew'

Actually it does. If he was a Hebrew who couldnt read and write hebrew, then how could he possibly have translated anything hebrew into Greek......

The fact that he is a 'hebrew' becomes irrlevant .

Posts: 2818 | From: new york | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the questioner
Member # 22195

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by kdolo:
'doesn't change the fact that he was a Hebrew'

Actually it does. If he was a Hebrew who couldnt read and write hebrew, then how could he possibly have translated anything hebrew into Greek......

The fact that he is a 'hebrew' becomes irrlevant .

first it still is a theory that he couldn't read hebrew

second i never said he translated anything

mike111 wanted to know the origin of the old tradition of Hebrews translating the Hebrew bible into Greek
philo speaks of this tradition in his book
as well as Josephus

philo being a Hebrew would mean that he knows the history of his own people

kdolo
Member # 21830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdolo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, according to some scholars, the 'Bible' was compiled by Greek speaking Egyptians on orders of Ptolemy Philadelphus.

Watch "SHAKKA AHMOSE Origin of Torah amd Bible.

https://youtu.be/ccnQdmtKmN8

Posts: 2818 | From: new york | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdolo
Member # 21830

Rate Member
Josephus' claim is apparently based on pseudepigrapha.....

Check out the video....very interesting

--------------------
Keldal

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
quote:
first it still is a theory that he couldn't read hebrew

second i never said he translated anything

mike111 wanted to know the origin of the old tradition of Hebrews translating the Hebrew bible into Greek
philo speaks of this tradition in his book
as well as Josephus

philo being a Hebrew would mean that he knows the history of his own people

Now I know for sure this Boy is Albino:

Who but Albinos lie like that?

I "KNOW" the historical source of the original translations, and it has nothing to do with Philo.
Why this Albino boy refuses to educate himself, in spite of me giving him the material, speaks to the fuched-up nature of the Albino brain.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
ish gebor
how do you know for a fact Herodotus is a liar?

Do you read Classical Greek?

quote:

HERODOTUS - BIOGRAPHY

Herodotus (484 BCE – c. 425 BCE) was a Greek Historian as well as known as the Father of Lies. These two titles were commonly held hand in hand as the early recorders of history were attempting to record an objective recounting of events while taking their stories from first-hand, second-hand, third-hand, etc accounts instead of recording a direct experience. Also entwined in the pejorative label of “Father of Lies” is that Herodotus was susceptible to subjective inclusion or exclusion of histories based on his personal involvement with peoples. Thebans and Corinthians who both denied him funds for his work subsequently suffered not the prettiest of pictures when recounted in Herodotus' work. Athenians gave him a fortune, thus perhaps securing a favorable telling of their exploits. Regardless, Herodotus was one of the first writers to bring together historical accounts (whether tweaked by the tellers or himself or not) and the only one to have survived in the form of The Histories. Therefore, the moniker of Father of History sticks.

[...]

Herodotus would also talk to many people and would recount the different accounts before choosing to promote the one that he found most probable. This is probably what garnered him the moniker of Father of Lies for within his history exist some pretty tall tales.

[...]

It is speculated that The Histories must have been around 415 BCE. Before that, Herodotus's craft would have looked very much like Homer's. The culture around the Mediterranean was oral and not written and just as Herodotus gained his knowledge from oral storytelling, he passed on much of it in this way as well.

--European Graduate School
http://www.egs.edu/library/herodotus/biography/

-

quote:
Such then is the nature of this mountain-range; and on the side of Egypt towards Libya another range extends, rocky and enveloped in sand: in this are the pyramids, and it runs in the same direction as those parts of the Arabian mountains which go towards the midday. So then, I say, from Heliopolis the land has no longer a great extent so far as it belongs to Egypt,[13] and for about four[14] days' sail up the river Egypt properly so called is narrow: and the space between the mountain-ranges which have been mentioned is plain-land, but where it is narrowest it did not seem to me to exceed two hundred furlongs from the Arabian mountains to those which are called the Libyan. After this again Egypt is broad. 9. Such is the nature of this land: and from Heliopolis to Thebes is a voyage up the river of nine days, and the distance of the journey in furlongs is four thousand eight hundred and sixty, the number of the /schoines/ being eighty-one. If these measures of Egypt in furlongs be put together the result is as follows:--I have already before this shown that the distance along the sea amounts to three thousand six hundred furlongs, and I will now declare what the distance is inland from the sea to Thebes, namely six thousand one hundred and twenty furlongs: and again the distance from Thebes to the city called Elephantine is one thousand eight hundred furlongs.
--G. C. Macaulay

The History of Herodotus

Translated into English by G. C. Macaulay

The University of Adelaide Library
University of Adelaide

http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/herodotus/h4m/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com