EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Queen Elizabeth I wanted African people kicked out of England

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth I wanted African people kicked out of England
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found out today that Queen Elizabeth I of England (that's the queen with the red hair and the funky collar) wanted people of African descent kicked out of her country during the 1590s. That's got to be an unpleasant revelation for anyone who is a fan of that woman.

Open letter by Elizabeth I
quote:
During the Elizabethan period, the employment of Africans became increasingly common in England. They served in wealthy households as footmen or musicians, and the queen herself retained a black maidservant. But during the 1590s, Elizabeth issued a series of proclamations ordering the expulsion of black people from her realm. They were increasingly used as scapegoats by the queen and her ministers for the social ills that dogged the later years of her reign. The harvests repeatedly failed, which brought hunger and disease, and sparked a sharp rise in poverty and vagrancy. Fearing disorder and a breakdown of society, in 1597 Elizabeth passed an Act for the Relief of the Poor. This was followed by a similar act four years later which created a national poor law system for England and Wales.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7220 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The transcript of the letter in English of the period, followed by a modern English version:

Transcript

Open letter by Elizabeth I to the mayors of England, 11 July 1596 (PC 2/21 f.304)

An open le[tt]re to the L[ord] Maiour of London and th’alermen his brethren, And to all other Maiours, Sheryfes, &c. Her Ma[jes]tie understanding that there are of late divers Blackmoores brought into the Realme, of which kinde of people there are all ready here to manie, consideringe howe God hath blessed this land wth great increase of people of our owne Nation as anie Countrie in the world, wherof manie for want of Service and meanes to sett them on worck fall to Idlenesse and to great extremytie; Her Ma[jesty’]s pleasure therefore ys, that those kinde of people should be sent forthe of the lande. And for that purpose there ys direction given to this bearer Edwarde Banes to take of those Blackmoores that in this last voyage under Sir Thomas Baskervile, were brought into this Realme to the nomber of Tenn, to be Transported by him out of the Realme. Wherein wee Req[uire] you to be aydinge & Assysting unto him as he shall have occacion, and thereof not to faile.

An open letter to the Lord Mayor of London and the aldermen, his brethren, and to all other mayors, sheriffs, etc. Her Majesty understands that there are of late diverse Black Moors brought into the realm, of which kind of people there are already too many. Considering how God has blessed this land with great increase of people of our own nation, as any country in the world, many fall into idleness and extreme hardship due to lack of employment and means to support themselves. Her Majesty’s pleasure, therefore, is that these people should be sent forth from the land. For this purpose, Edward Banes has been directed to transport ten Black Moors who were brought into this realm during the last voyage under Sir Thomas Baskerville. We request your assistance and cooperation in this matter. Do not fail to support him as needed."

I have just read the last page of the below, will have to get back to it later

https://english.rutgers.edu/images/documents/faculty/bartels-ja-2006.pdf

Too Many Blackamoors:
Deportation, Discrimination,
and Elizabeth I
EMILY C. BARTELS

[i]Emily C. Bartels is an associate professor of English at Rutgers University
and the Associate Director of the Bread Loaf School of English (Middlebury
College). Author of Spectacles of Strangeness: Imperialism, Alienation, and
Marlowe

Posts: 43099 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: Is it really "racist" for a ruler or leader to make attempts at preserving the native demographics of his/her nation??

I know that upon reading this letter many have been conditioned to thinking this was a 'racist' act. But when the queen complained there were "too many" of them, that is fearing they may pose a threat to the native demographics, how is that any different from say African leaders in Zimbabwe, Uganda, etc. expelling whites and even Asians?? Or getting back to ancient Egypt in the scenario in the biblical Exodus when the pharaoh complained the number of Hebrews had grown too many that they are threat to Egyptians?? Was this sentiment also "racist" then??

Think about what is happening today not just in the U.S. with our southern border essentially eradicated, but Canada and other Western or European predominant nations.

Posts: 26494 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://english.rutgers.edu/images/documents/faculty/bartels-ja-2006.pdf

Too Many Blackamoors:
Deportation, Discrimination,
and Elizabeth I

what I posted above, around 15 pages, including other Queen Elizabeth remarks and other context

I semi-skimmed it, a lot to read. I have not fully formed an opinion on it but this is good for
background info

Posts: 43099 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
Question: Is it really "racist" for a ruler or leader to make attempts at preserving the native demographics of his/her nation??

I know that upon reading this letter many have been conditioned to thinking this was a 'racist' act. But when the queen complained there were "too many" of them, that is fearing they may pose a threat to the native demographics, how is that any different from say African leaders in Zimbabwe, Uganda, etc. expelling whites and even Asians?? Or getting back to ancient Egypt in the scenario in the biblical Exodus when the pharaoh complained the number of Hebrews had grown too many that they are threat to Egyptians?? Was this sentiment also "racist" then??

I don't know the exact statistics, but I doubt there were so many African people in Elizabethan England that they presented a serious demographic threat to the local English. And I for one don't approve of African leaders like Idi Amin or Robert Mugabe trying to force non-Africans out of their countries, even if they utilize anti-colonial rhetoric to justify it. That's the most I will say on that.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7220 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com