EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The Gibraltar Out of Africa Exit for Anatomically Modern Humans

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Gibraltar Out of Africa Exit for Anatomically Modern Humans
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Gibraltar Out of Africa Exit for Anatomically Modern Humans

Abstract

Using archaeological, craniometric, anthropological, and samples of ancient mtDNA we examined the possibility that there was a third exit from Africa, of anatomically modern humans (amh) across the Straits of Gibraltar into Iberia and thence throughout Eurasia. The finding of ancient Sub-Saharan mtDNA and related evidences make it clear that the Aurignacian culture was taken into Eurasia from Africa by Cro-Magnon people crossing the Straits of Gibraltar.

http://www.webmedcentral.com/article_view/2319

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clyde - congratulations on the study!

Yes, the evidence seems clear that Europe was settled by Africans who entered via Gibraltar. The question has always been for me: why the Sea route instead of through the Caucasus, and were the original Anatolian's Grimaldi or East Africans. On the former, you seem to be suggesting that Neanderthals blocked the way.

BTW - why do you stick with the Cro-Magnon nonsense, you know damn well Grimaldi was a fully modern human.

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike111:
Clyde - congratulations on the study!

Yes, the evidence seems clear that Europe was settled by Africans who entered via Gibraltar. The question has always been for me: why the Sea route instead of through the Caucasus, and were the original Anatolian's Grimaldi or East Africans. On the former, you seem to be suggesting that Neanderthals blocked the way.

BTW - why do you stick with the Cro-Magnon nonsense, you know damn well Grimaldi was a fully modern human.

This is because Europeans have used the term Cro-Magnon for the Grimaldi to make it impossible for people to know the Grimaldi, who were Negroes were the earliest inhabitants of Europe.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit that this is a really interesting paper. I always thought the OOA route was from Africa to Southwest Asia, but it never occurred to me that another wave of Africans could have also taken the Iberian route.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7094 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Of course its possible. Morocco is right to Spain with only a dozen or so miles of water separating them. We discussed African migrations to Iberia many times before as supported by the so-called Ibero-Marusian culture stretching from Tunisia and Algeria into Spain. We have DNA evidence like Y-chromosomal E2 found in Iberia and recently we discussed findings of Sub-Saharan mitochondrial lineages associated with the Beaker Culture of Iberia here. Now if Aurignacian Culture truly did originate in Africa, the only thing surprising is why such evidence of this was not found before. Though since Clyde is the author of this study I wouldn't hold my breath. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 26311 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though since Clyde is the author of this study I wouldn't hold my breath.

--

Migrations of ancient peoples to Europe is plausible
provided the idea can be properly developed. The
paper so far looks incomplete though.
Preliminary observations:

1) It does not look like the website formatted
Clyde's paper correctly. Aside from some
misspellings, paragraphs are all bunched up, and
the body text is missing embedded citations in
many cases, nor are there any footnotes as an
alternative within said body text, making a
citation chain hard to establish.

2) The lack of embedded citations or footnotes in
various parts make it hard to verify claims made
since Clyde is relying on published literature as
his data source.

"This research was conducted at the Uthman dan Fodio Institute in Chicago. The samples for this study includes published research literature on population movements from Africa into Eurasia. The craniometric, genomic and archaeological literature relating to African and Eurasian population movements was critically analyzed focusing on haplogroup L3(M,N)."

Brace is mentioned for example but Brace what and when?

I think also the paper needs more discussion on how they
got to Gibraltar- and reference to the data on
boat usage and sea voyages. What other parallel
groups might have made such a trip for example?

I understand this "open source" publishing relies
on peer review after something is put out, but
all in all the paper referenced looks more like a
first draft rather than a carefully constructed
final product.

Posts: 5906 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova:
Though since Clyde is the author of this study I wouldn't hold my breath.

--

Migrations of ancient peoples to Europe is plausible
provided the idea can be properly developed. The
paper so far looks incomplete though.
Preliminary observations:

1) It does not look like the website formatted
Clyde's paper correctly. Aside from some
misspellings, paragraphs are all bunched up, and
the body text is missing embedded citations in
many cases, nor are there any footnotes as an
alternative within said body text, making a
citation chain hard to establish.

2) The lack of embedded citations or footnotes in
various parts make it hard to verify claims made
since Clyde is relying on published literature as
his data source.

"This research was conducted at the Uthman dan Fodio Institute in Chicago. The samples for this study includes published research literature on population movements from Africa into Eurasia. The craniometric, genomic and archaeological literature relating to African and Eurasian population movements was critically analyzed focusing on haplogroup L3(M,N)."

Brace is mentioned for example but Brace what and when?

I think also the paper needs more discussion on how they
got to Gibraltar- and reference to the data on
boat usage and sea voyages. What other parallel
groups might have made such a trip for example?

I understand this "open source" publishing relies
on peer review after something is put out, but
all in all the paper referenced looks more like a
first draft rather than a carefully constructed
final product.

I don't know why they did not include my citations in the paper. If you are interested in the Brace source I reference it at #37.

This paper is the final product.

I began working on this paper in 2008. Some of the original anthropological data was published in the South Asian Anthropologist.

This is an important study because it brings to the forefront the archaeological evidence indicating the dominance of Neanderthal in the Levant up to 34kya. This makes many of the claims by geneticist suggesting a back migration from the Levant back into Africa before this date impossible.

Zarahan if you have any publications on population genetics or, teach and/or belong to a research institution I am sure you could join this organization after they evaluate your vita. Then you can review my paper or publish your own paper.

If you are interested you can find my other archaeogenetic studies here:

http://olmec98.net/archaeogenetics.HTM

Enjoy

Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Clyde!

This is an example why I like this forum - presenting intellectual debates instead of meaningless yelling.

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were essentially THREE routes of Africans entering Europe. Discounting the more talked about route from Anatolia/Levant.

1. Iberia
2. Sicily
3. Crete

All three groups of extant European peoples display African markers. . .sigh!!!!! [Roll Eyes]

Obviously during the ice age as many scholars concluded, sea levels drop, migration became easier.

Not only across Europe and Africa but Australia, Beringia, South America. . . .

QUOTE]Originally posted by xyyman:
Sicily Vol1 . . . Chapter 1 Page 1

It has not wholly lost the character which geologists tell us that it bore in unrecorded days, when it formed a bridge uniting the European and the African continent, and parting the two great divisions of the Mediterranean into two unconnected lakes. It parts, and at the same time it brings together, Europe and Africa, Eastern and Western Europe.
[/QUOTE]

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
There were essentially THREE routes of Africans entering Europe. Discounting the more talked about route from Anatolia/Levant.

1. Iberia
2. Sicily
3. Crete

All three groups of extant European peoples display African markers. . .sigh!!!!! [Roll Eyes]

Obviously during the ice age as many scholars concluded, sea levels drop, migration became easier.

Not only across Europe and Africa but Australia, Beringia, South America. . . .

QUOTE]Originally posted by xyyman:
Sicily Vol1 . . . Chapter 1 Page 1

It has not wholly lost the character which geologists tell us that it bore in unrecorded days, when it formed a bridge uniting the European and the African continent, and parting the two great divisions of the Mediterranean into two unconnected lakes. It parts, and at the same time it brings together, Europe and Africa, Eastern and Western Europe.

Good post. I don't remember the source If I remember correctly there was archaeological evidence of an African migration to Crete around 125kya.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com