EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Study: Most Hispanics Prefer Describing Identity From Family’s Country Of Origin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Study: Most Hispanics Prefer Describing Identity From Family’s Country Of Origin
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Study: Most Hispanics Prefer Describing Identity From Family’s Country Of Origin

WASHINGTON (CBS DC) – A study shows that most Hispanics do not prefer the term “Hispanic” or “Latino” when it comes to describing their identity.

According to a new poll conducted by the Pew Research Center, 51 percent of Hispanics would rather be identified from their family’s country of origin, instead of describing their identity as “Hispanic” or “Latino.”

“Half (51%) say that most often they use their family’s country of origin to describe their identity,” the Pew Research Center survey says. “That includes such terms as ‘Mexican’ or ‘Cuban’ or ‘Dominican,’ for example. Just one-quarter (24%) say they use the terms ‘Hispanic’ or ‘Latino’ to most often to describe their identity. And 21% say they use the term ‘American’ most often.”

When asked if they have a preference for either being identified as “Hispanic” or “Latino,” the Pew study finds that “half (51%) say they have no preference for either term.” If they did have to choose, the study finds that “’Hispanic’ is preferred over ‘Latino’ by more than a two-to-one margin—33% versus 14%.”

Hispanics and Latinos are split as to whether to identify themselves as a “typical American.” Forty-seven percent of Hispanics and Latinos identify themselves with the term, while another 47 percent of those polled find they don’t seem to relate to a “typical American.”

As it comes to speaking English, nearly 90 percent of those polled believe you need to learn the language to succeed in America, but they also want to hold onto their Spanish-speaking roots. Ninety-five percent of Hispanics believe it is important to speak Spanish in the U.S.

Pew also weighed in on the political front and important social issues. Fifty-eight percent of Hispanics believe gay marriage should be accepted. The poll finds those surveyed take a more conservative stance on abortion as 51 percent say it should be illegal. Only 30 percent of those surveyed identify themselves as liberal.

The term “Hispanic” was officially adopted by Congress in 1976 as a law to collect the information of U.S. residents with Spanish-speaking country origins. The Office of Management and Budget added the term “Latino” in 1997.

The Pew Research Center surveyed 1,220 Latino adults across all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

^^^ funny thing about this article is that it says most Hispanics do not prefer the term “Hispanic” yet the article keeps calling them "Hispanics"

Posts: 42934 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
^^^ funny thing about this article is that it says most Hispanics do not prefer the term “Hispanic” yet the article keeps calling them "Hispanics"
Because there are no alternative words.

I wonder if this study has anything to do with white America's worst fear of becoming a minority group, which has been predicted by several researchers.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
quote:

I wonder if this study has anything to do with white America's worst fear of becoming a minority group, which has been predicted by several researchers.

[Big Grin]

Definition of HISPANIC

: of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal

-
King Juan Carlos of Spain

-
Ferdinand II of Aragon

-
Carlos IV, King of Spain

-
Portrait of the Philip II, King of Spain

Posts: 42934 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asante-Korton
Member # 18532

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for asante-Korton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Definition of HISPANIC

: of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal

-
King Juan Carlos of Spain

-
Ferdinand II of Aragon

-
Carlos IV, King of Spain

-
Portrait of the Philip II, King of Spain

-

Hispanic?

Posts: 1064 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Definition of HISPANIC

The term obviously has aquired additional meaning over the centuries. What you're doing is the equivalent of reminding people of the definition of an apple when they're talking about Apple.
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is not news, anyone who lives with a large number of hispanics know they call themselves "Mexicans" Puerto Rican etc. Hispanic is just the equilivent of African American or Anglo American, a word used for Political Correct identity. Most AA call ourselves "Black"..and Anglos identify as white.
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
facts
Member # 19596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for facts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for them! It will squash the Afrocentric crap that Latinos can also mean Black. Any blacks living in those countries will be categorized accordingly (slaves transported over).
Posts: 816 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Fool - THEY were "TRANSPORTED" over.
The "ORIGINAL" people WERE BLACK!

Ignorant Albinos, is there no end to them?

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Definition of HISPANIC

The term obviously has aquired additional meaning over the centuries. What you're doing is the equivalent of reminding people of the definition of an apple when they're talking about Apple.
I don't think so. The article is American.
I think Americans have a notion that "HispanIc" means something a little different than
"of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal"

I would say that the Americanized definition of "Hispanic" is a Spanish speaking person that has some indigenous American or Carribean ancestry. Even though the technical definition is about Spain most people who actually live in Spain have no indigenous indigenous American or Carribean ancestry.
This is reflected in the demographics of the U.S.

So when this survey was taken I'm sure the people taking it were not primarily of ancestry directly from Spain so this might be why some do not like to be identified so strongly with Spain.
In a similar way many people of African ancestry have rejected the term "African American" and prefer "Black" although I prefer "African American" or "African" for short.
Many of us don't want to be associated too strongly with Africa.
However it's not the same with, say a Mexican. A Mexican really is often heavily indigenous American while we are not, we really are largely African.
I think the reason for this is that many people of African ancestry have no interest in living in Africa or visiting it. They have decided America is their permanent home.
 -
 -

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://u.goal.com/110300/110352hp2.jpg

The socccer player(Chelsea) is an African Brazilian(AfroBrazilian) and his name is Ramires. Brazil is not an Hispanic nation since it is not Spanish speaking. Rather Portugese is the language.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
facts
Member # 19596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for facts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brazil is part of Latin America and its people are considered and recognized as Hispanic.

"...any individual who traces his or her origins to part of the Spanish Empire or Portuguese Empire may self-identify as Hispanic" (Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs FAQ-26)

quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
http://u.goal.com/110300/110352hp2.jpg

The socccer player(Chelsea) is an African Brazilian(AfroBrazilian) and his name is Ramires. Brazil is not an Hispanic nation since it is not Spanish speaking. Rather Portugese is the language.

Posts: 816 | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lioness,
Just an illogical argument you are pushing. There are many people of Irish descent who fled the hell hole of Ireland during the famine years. But they always say they are Irish American or Irish--when St.Patrick's Day comes around. I doubt they have any intention of living in Ireland now. The same for Italian Americans, Polish and Jewsish Americans. They are just saying who they are from an historical perspective. Same for Asian Americans too--who I doubt would prefer to be called "Yellow".

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
Lioness,
Just an illogical argument you are pushing. There are many people of Irish descent who fled the hell hole of Ireland during the famine years. But they always say they are Irish American or Irish--when St.Patrick's Day comes around. I doubt they have any intention of living in Ireland now. The same for Italian Americans, Polish and Jewsish Americans. They are just saying who they are from an historical perspective. Same for Asian Americans too--who I doubt would prefer to be called "Yellow".

You have not stated what exactly (with quotes of me) is illogical.
You should recognize the inconsistency.
Irish American
Polish American

Jews will either call themselves "Jews" or "American" not "Jewish American"

Asian Americans as you said, prefer "Asian" to "yellow"
yet African Americans prefer "black" to "African" or "African American"

As you can see there is no consistency, some terms are based in geography, others skin tone stereotypes and others have a language implication mixed in "Hispanic".
And there is no consistency to what type of term a given group decides to use.

The majority of Spanish speaking people in America apparently prefer not to be called "Hispanic" but Spanish people in Europe may have different ideas. Brazil for example has a government recognized ethnic category "Pardo" meaning brown.

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by facts:
Brazil is part of Latin America and its people are considered and recognized as Hispanic.

"...any individual who traces his or her origins to part of the Spanish Empire or Portuguese Empire may self-identify as Hispanic" (Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs FAQ-26)

Ironic since the Census has not regarded Brazilians as Hispanic. At least not the '08 one you can find on wikipedia.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
quote:
quote:
Definition of HISPANIC

I don't think so. The article is American.
I think Americans have a notion that "HispanIc" means something a little different than
"of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal"

You're such a dumbo.

Lioness 101:

*Someone argues something, using argument 'x' (i.e., that the word aquired new connotations)
*Lioness disagrees, yet proceeds to argue 'x' as well (i.e., that the word aquired new connotations).

How is what you're saying incompatible with what I said?

[Eek!]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
What you're doing is the equivalent of reminding people of the definition of an apple when they're talking about Apple. [/qb]

quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:*Someone argues something, using argument 'x' (i.e., that the word aquired new connotations)
*Lioness disagrees, yet proceeds to argue 'x' as well (i.e., that the word aquired new connotations).

How is what you're saying incompatible with what I said?

[Eek!]

Because you don't know hoe to make a clear point. You said:

"What you're doing is the equivalent of reminding people of the definition of an apple when they're talking about Apple."

^^^ this is a vague and confusing statement. You use the word "apple" and then use the same word again with an upper case "A'
and expect someone to figure out what this means.
An uppercase letter does not imply new conotations to a word it is equivalent of saying:

"What you're doing is the equivalent of reminding people of the definition of an apple when they're talking about apple."

^^^ what the hell differnce is changing "a" to "A" There is no new conotation to that. It is a meaningless change that only serves to distract from a cohearant idea that might have been made.

You simply do not know how to make an analogy properly so you shouldn't atempt it.

thank you,

lioness productions

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Because you don't know hoe to make a clear point.
So you're disagreeing with arguments that are confusing to you? Do you have any idea how retarded that is?

quote:
this is a vague and confusing statement. You use the word "apple" and then use the same word again with an upper case
No I didn't. To distinguish between the fruit and the company, I clearly said ''an apple'' and ''Apple'', the former was written with an article, and the latter without one, in addition to differentiating both using letter case.

quote:
You simply do not know how to make an analogy properly so you shouldn't atempt it.
The ones who know what wordplay is, understand it, those who don't, don't. It's as simple as that.

Your posts are always disorganized, crude and messy, and sometimes they contain no words at all, only pictures, so you're clearly projecting when you say I'm being vague and confusing.

Anyway, I don't expect you to grasp the finer things that occur between the lines.

Your subjective issue with the analogy still doesn't take away that you were in fact doing what I said in that analogy. Being the dumbo that you are, you tried to correct other people's use of a word (i.e., ''hispanic''), by using a limited description of that word's definition.

-

Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lioness, fact is, sometimes you are rather obtuse. So please allow me to explain.

That be the response of a "Running Man".

-

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com