EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Did Senwosret colonize Athens?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Senwosret colonize Athens?
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard people say Senwosret colonized Athens and founded Greece. Any feedback on this?
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just heard rumors about one Senwosret partaking an imperialist venturing into Greece, but nothing in way of tangible evidence.

--------------------
The Complete Picture of the Past tells Us what Not to Repeat

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herodotus cited a story told by Egyptian priests about a Pharaoh Sesostris (also Sesostris I and Senwosret I) , who once led an army northward through Syria and Turkey all the way to Colchis, westward across Southern Russia, and then south again through Romania, until he reached Bulgaria and the Eastern part of Greece. Sesostris then returned home the same way he came, leaving colonists behind at the Colchian river Phasis. Herodotus cautioned the reader that much of this story came second hand via Egyptian priests, but also noted that the Colchians were commonly known to be Egyptian colonists
According to Herodotus, Diodorus Siculus (who calls him Sesoösis), and Strabo, he conquered the whole world, even Scythia and Ethiopia, divided Egypt into administrative districts or nomes, was a great law-giver, and introduced a caste system into Egypt and the worship of Serapis.
Herodotus claims Sesostris was the father of the blind king Pheron, who was less warlike than his father.

"For it is plain to see that the Colchians are Egyptians; and what I say, I myself noted before I heard it from others."
Herodotus 2.104
 -
Statue of Pharaoh Sesostris I (or Senwosret I). Detail. Limestone, H192 cm, 12th Dynasty. From the Temple of Senwosret I, El-Lisht, Egypt. Egyptian Museum, Cairo, Egypt.

-
Pharaoh Sesostris II (or Senwosret II)

-
Pharaoh Sesostris III (or Senwosret III)

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
correction, photo 1 and 2 above are the same Sesostris I

Here's Pharaoh Sesostris II (or Senwosret II)

-

-
Pharaoh Sesostris III (or Senwosret III) , Luxor Museum

many of these kings who are numbered as either mislabled on the internet as per what number they are or there is uncertainty on the part of archaeologists also

Posts: 42920 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com