EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Sympathy thread for Tukuler - Philistia.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sympathy thread for Tukuler - Philistia.
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tukuler is bemoaning the quality of the discourse here at ES - justifiably so.

He wants AE as the subject matter, but I just have no further interest there. BUT, I do have some unfinished business with the Philistines - never really got a good understanding of them.

As you should know, the Philistines are believed to have been Cretans who were a part of the "Sea Peoples" invasion of Egypt circa 1100 B.C.

-

After Rameses III defeated them, he allowed them to settle in Canaan.

-

Before that, Cretans - along with Egyptians - built the first modern city in Greece, called Mycenae, which evolved into the Mycenaean civilization.

The connection between Mycenaean culture and Philistine culture was made clearer by finds at the excavation of Ashdod, Ekron, Ashkelon, and more recently Gath, four of the five Philistine cities in Canaan. The fifth city is Gaza. Especially notable is the early Philistine pottery, a locally made version of the Aegean Mycenaean Late Helladic IIIC pottery, which is decorated in shades of brown and black. This later developed into the distinctive Philistine pottery of the Iron Age I, with black and red decorations on white slip known as Philistine Bichrome ware.

-

Biblically - The Philistines are known as the sworn enemies of Israel - of David and Goliath fame.

The Philistine cities lost their independence to Tiglath-Pileser III of Assyria by 732 B.C, and revolts in following years were all crushed. They were subsequently absorbed into the Babylonian and Persian empires, and disappear as a distinct group by the late 5th century B.C.

-

Hanunu of Gaza, shown on his knees in front of Tiglatpileser III, formally submits to the king of Assyria. Stone relief from the wall decoration of Tiglatpileser's palace at Kalhu. British Museum

(Those of you interested in Philistia, save these images, there are precious few Philistine images in existence).

-

-

-

-

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More Philistia coins:

-

-

In looking at the tiles from the palace of Ramses III, it seems that one of these is probably a depiction of a Philistine.

-  -

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No he doesn't want AE as the subject matter
so save your sympathy for the devil.

This place was always multiple disciplinary
Egyptology and African Studies a wide range
of subject matter which a lot of Europa and
what else you post is only a subset and fits
right in however strained sometime the fit.
Why narrow the scope to your one little
focus area and nothing else? What a small world.

Also I don't care what direction ES goes.
I post or reply to whatever I want
just like everybody else.

Repeat I don't care where ES goes
It's just a BB on the web
nothing more
nothing to get up about.

Always have admired you relic finding skills.
Learned from you not to accept repros and fax
but demand photos of originals and even then
to scrutinize for fudgery.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
^Notice, not a nibble?
He,he,he:
Get on the bandwagon, talk nonsense.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com