EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » OT: Example of Social Bias (a belief based on tradition rather than fact)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT: Example of Social Bias (a belief based on tradition rather than fact)
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Medical marijuana is seen as a sin by many because of negative associations. We were also told that it caused brain damage and lung cancer. Interesting world we live in where we have scientific methodologies that help us to arrive at the truth regardless of social biases.

Fact: Marijuana actually lowers the risk of cancer and can be used as a preventative for alzheimer's disease (it actually protects the brain).

www.foxnews.com:

The active ingredient of marijuana could be considerably better at suppressing the abnormal clumping of malformed proteins that is a hallmark of Alzheimer's disease than any currently approved prescription drugs.

Scientists report the finding in the Oct. 2 issue of the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

From the 2006 Tashkin study. The largest study of its kind and the most scientifically controlled. Evidence on the link between cancer and Marijuana actually showed that smoking Marijuana had a protective effect:

There was time for only one question, said the moderator, and San Francisco oncologist Donald Abrams, M.D., was already at the microphone: "You don't see any positive correlation, but in at least one category [marijuana-only smokers and lung cancer], it almost looked like there was a negative correlation, i.e., a protective effect. Could you comment on that?"

"Yes," said Tashkin. "The odds ratios are less than one almost consistently, and in one category that relationship was significant, but I think that it would be difficult to extract from these data the conclusion that marijuana is protective against lung cancer. But that is not an unreasonable hypothesis."

::: Basically marijuana smokers, even heavy ones, had less chance of getting head, throat, or lung cancer than non-smokers.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, you know me! [Big Grin] I'll share a toke with you now and again.

But please!!! LOL [Smile] excuse me from your Medical marijuana revolution...

Peace.

--------------------
state of mind

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osirion
Member # 7644

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for osirion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I am not condoning anything I am just discussion social biases. Things that people thought were fact because the so called authorities in our society said so. Marijuana will damage the brain of those under the age of 16 so it isn't something we want proliferated in a way that would be accessible to children. But then Tylenol posioning kills a lot of children.

--------------------
Across the sea of time, there can only be one of you. Make you the best one you can be.

Posts: 4028 | From: NW USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com