EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Black and "negroid" not always the same

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black and "negroid" not always the same
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In many discussions the terms black and "negroid" (and similar words beginning on "n") are used as synonyms. That has made some debaters to believe that when the word black is used in for example in a historical text it means that the described people were "negroid"or "negroes". That in it´s turn is many times meant to be "Africans" or at least of African descent. Sometimes it also used to refer to peoples as Melanesians, Andamanese, so called "Negritos" in South East Asia, Australian aborigines and similar populations, who often are lumped together with Africans.

But the use of the word black varies, depending of culture and time. The use of black in contemporary USA is for example not the same as in many other cultures through different times. As an example in Europe the Romes have often been called black, as in the 1930s Swedish song "You black Gypsy", or in the Finnish word for the same people Mustalainen and the Estonian word Mustlane (both derived from the word must(a) which means "black").

In ancient and old Scandinavia a man could get the epitet "black" if he had enough dark hair or dark eyes, or if he had a somewhat darker skin tone than his neighbours. It did not mean he was a "negro".

So before jumping to the conclusion that the word "black" in any old travelogue or text means that the described people where "negroids" one must look at the historical and cultural context, which is often missed.

In some cases just having a somewhat dark skin could mean that a person or a people where called "black", even if they were totally unrelated to any "negroid" people".

-

In old times some European travelers could easily have called for example Native Americans like the ones in this picture for "black" or "dark in color, not unlike the Ethiopians". That does not mean they saw "negroid" peoples or Ethiopians, it just means they saw Native Americans who had somewhat dark skin, something that is a part of Native American variability.

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2683 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are Dixon's figures on native European and Br. Isles cranial forensic negroids?

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whole ethnic groups of Africa's blacks are not negro(id) so of course black =/= negro(id).

Black is an English word denoting a color.
Negro is an English word borrowed from Spanish.
Anthropology uses negro to describe an extreme.
Notice English nor anthropology borrowed blanco.

What are Dixon's figures on native European and Br. Isles cranial forensic negroids?

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The word negroid means Black. lol smh

"1550s, "member of a black-skinned race of Africa," from Spanish or Portuguese negro "black," from Latin nigrum (nominative niger) "black, dark, sable, dusky" (applied to the night sky, a storm, the complexion), figuratively "gloomy, unlucky, bad, wicked," according to de Vaan a word of unknown etymology; according to Watkins, perhaps from PIE *nekw-t- "night." The Latin word also was applied to the black peoples of Africa, but the usual terms were Aethiops and Afer."
https://www.etymonline.com/word/negro

Native Amazonians

-

-

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Kool let's laugh and learn, again (site:egyptsearch.com "name negro")

=-=-=

Gee, I dunno?

If negro[id] means black why is there no
- negro[id] hat
- negro[id] horse
- negro[id] crayon?

Negro in English means 'of the African slave pool'.
A restrictive set of physical features was agreed
upon by anthropology --a science birthed to rank
humanity from the highest to the lowest with the
European peoples at the top.

Etymology Online notes the word didn't enter
English from the Luso-Espanol until the trans
Atlantic slave trade was already underway.

Anthropology defined Africans like Fulani, Semitic
speaking Ethiopians, hell sometimes even certain
Bantu speakers, as NOT negroes.

Physical anthropology and ethnography would write
"black but not negro" about several African groups
"black but nothing of the negro about them".

Since it's obvious negroes are a small subset
of Africa's brown colored people, negroid,
meaning like a negro, was coined.

Sixty years ago Caribbes and AfrAms (including John
Henrik Clarke) set up the Committee To Present The
Truth About The Name "Negro" -- publishing, The
Name Negro, It's Origin and Evil Use

-

Dr Clarke is 2nd right from head of table.

=-=-=

I recently began using American Negro as descriptor
for the descendants of enslaved Africans in the USA
who are a unique people bred by American Blancoes.

ADOS FBA etc have become political/ideological terms.
American Negro, though distasteful, cuts across all
that and identifies the miscegenated Africans of the
United States of America among the extended family of
all the African peoples.

--------------------

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why specially the U.S? The first Africans that came during Columbus voyage landed in the Caribbean and Latin America before they came to what would be the United States.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Wasn't Colon in Bahamas and U.S Virgins?

OK, guessing you mean why limit American Negro to the USA.

I do it because no other country in the 'western hemisphere' is named America.
The United States of America is the only country using America as its official name.
Passport nationality: American.

Each landing had its specific set of Africans and
others who birthed their current native blacks.
In general NW Euros and Northern Indians entered
America's African mix.

Meso-America and southward have different Euro and
Native peoples who blended with the Africans there.

I see no continuity between the black Luso-Espanols
on Colon's ships that unites all the African descendants
from Argentina clear to Canada in our times. Each
region has its own history and name.

American Negro --to avoid confusion with all blacks from any and everywhere being pushed by white American politics and agreed to by the CBC, NAACP, et al.

African/Afro-Mexican

Afro-Columbian

Afro-Brazilian

Afro-Cuban

Jamaican

Bajan

and so on.

Anyway thats how I see it thru my eyes.

All are encouraged to present their vision.

--------------------

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay,I get now.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

What you waiting on Archie?

quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
... the terms black and "negroid" are used as synonyms.

In some cases just having a somewhat dark skin could mean that a person or a people where called "black", even if they were totally unrelated to any "negroid" people".

--------------------

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
OK Kool let's laugh and learn, again (site:egyptsearch.com "name negro")

=-=-=

Gee, I dunno?

If negro[id] means black why is there no
- negro[id] hat
- negro[id] horse
- negro[id] crayon?

The word negro derived from Latin. In Spanish and Portuguese these are derivatives from Latin and English is a bastared language made up of Germanic and Latin influences.

In German the word negro is neger

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english-german/negro

In Dutch the word neger has the same spelling as German, since it's closer to German.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/negro

http://www.latin-dictionary.net/definition/27859/niger-nigra-nigrum

https://www.spanishdict.com/translate/negro

quote:
[Spanish and Portuguese negro, black, black person, from Latin niger, nigr-, black; see nekw-t- in Indo-European roots.]
Ne′gro adj.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Negro
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
You're right,there isn't a negroid crayon but there was a negro crayon.

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Depending on the language,I don't believe café is ever use to describe brown skin people. Also,you forget Indian red as a crayon color. There isn't a a Asian yellow or European white naming color scheme.

-

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Correct, cafe requires au lait if a colour descriptor.

thoom thoom thoom thoom THUMM THUMP
thoom thoom thoom thoom THUMM THUMP

Yankee romancers
The gift they gave us was the Cafe Au Lait
Oh oh oh
Trouble I fear
Oh oh
Mulato

Corey?
Mmm ... Tropical Gangsters
Upstarts who claim that they're the Master Rayayayace
Gonna be trouble I fear
Oh oh oh
Mulataaaaaaaaaaaaaa oh yeah!

Like creme y cocoa
Cafe au lait yo

=-=-=

Other peoples progress building on their past generaions.

Blx stagnate refusing to incorporate/accumulate their past generations' lived experiences.

I lived through the ID evolution in the United States of America from negro to black.
Were they synonymous there woulda been no change, no James Brown proclaiming
SAY IT LOUD I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD in a day and age when a straight razor
could be the answer to calling a negro/colored person black. Sepia, tan, ebony,
bronze, and well OK, jet were the used colour words.

German, like English, separated the enslaved class people from things
as witness neger (reserved for people) versus schwartz (for anything).
Yes candies are things but "Nigger Babies", and such, are always in the
shape of a person if not an actual rendering of an inner African phenotype.

And this crayon thing is really funny.
Didn't work last time. Won't work now.
Nowhere in the English speaking world
have any of you ever asked for a negro
crayon or colored anything negro? You
know you haven't so why even front?

Here, since you won't accept Clarke or
ben Jochannan[*], go on heed what Simon Sez
but just remember not a tribe in Africa is
self-named negro
. Wanna know why?
quote:
The Burundian student said he is receiving a very good education at the university, but that it is also very hard to be a foreigner in Turkey. “I feel bad when people say, ‘Look at the Negro,’ because Negro means slave. They can say ‘black’ instead,” he said.
quote:
Fact Check: Black Crayola Crayon Labeled 'Negro' Is NOT Racist -- It's Spanish
leadstories.com
2020-12-20

Cover picture for the article
Is labeling a black crayon "negro" a racial reference and does Crayola have "some explaining to do"? No, that's not true: This is an example of a practice detected by Lead Stories: other languages use different words than English. The black crayon carries the labeling "negro" for Spanish-language users because that is the word for "black" in Spanish. It is not a racial reference, but a translation. The same crayon also is labeled "noir," which is the French word for black.

I mean dang you can see the same tri-lingual label
on the brown cafe brun crayon for
either English Spanish or Francophone speakers.

The Indian red crayon is a white racist affront
objectifying a people as part of the natural world
like white people name cars Touareg or Muranno
but never Welshman or Swede or what have you.

Who even gave reading THE NAME NEGRO an equal chance?
Fess up. Not a single solitary one of you that's who.
Hands down, no confidence in the research
and writing of a dedicated committee of
Western Hemisphere independent minded blacks
in Harlem sixty years ago fully exposing origin
and vile use of negro --including all its Germanic
family n-g-r variants-- outside Latin/Romance languages
is tied to slavery of African people and no other use.

And then there's a reason euphemisms for black people
arose in Luso-Espanol in place of nego/negro which continued
reserved for things in those languages until recently because
people are more than just things or commodities to be bought and sold.

Before the 1500s geography and/or ethnicity commonly described Africa's peoples[**].
Even in the next century neither Shakespeare nor the King James Bible has negroes
(vetted by searching the digital edition of The Complete Shakespeare link
wherein 'tis penned "Black men are pearls in beauteous ladies' eyes.").

[*]
 -

[**] from John G Jackson's intro to Lane-Poole's Moors in Spain 1990 edition
 -

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com