EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Bone Mineral Density Is Low in Somalian Women Living in Sweden Amra Osmancevic1, Taye

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bone Mineral Density Is Low in Somalian Women Living in Sweden Amra Osmancevic1, Taye
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/endo-meetings.2014.BCHVD.3.MON-0220

Bone Mineral Density Is Low in Somalian Women Living in Sweden
Amra Osmancevic1, Taye Dem

Amra Osmancevic1, Taye Demeke2, Anne Lene Krogstad3, Håkan Sinclair4, Eva Angesjö5, Gamal El-Gawad6 and Kerstin Landin-Wilhelmsen7
1Department of Dermatology, Gothenburg, Sweden
2Lärjedalen Primary Health Care, Gothenburg, Sweden

Abstract:
Background: Vitamin D deficiency is a common health problem among immigrants with dark skin and with reduced sun exposure in Northern European countries. Low vitamin D status has been linked to bone diseases and low bone mineral density [BMD].
Aim: The aim was to test the hypothesis that BMD in Somalian women living in Sweden was lower in comparison with the American white and the Afro-American reference population according to the manufacturer.
Subjects: In this cross-sectional study BMD was examined in 67 immigrant women from Somalia, median age 35.9 years [min 18.1, max 56.0], latitude 0-10° North living in Gothenburg, Sweden, latitude 57° North, >2 years. All women have been wearing covering clothing due to their religious and socio-cultural reasons and they had skin photo-type V.
Methods: BMD was measured by DXA [Dual energy X-ray Absorptiometry] at the lumbar spine and the left and right hip. BMD results were recorded as the Z-score [difference in SD from the mean of a healthy, age- and sex-matched sample] and the T-score [SD from the mean peak value in young sex-matched adults] for each subject.
The BMD in Somalian women was compared both with BMD in white American women and BMD in African-American women using standard data provided by the DXA manufacturer [Lunar Prodigy enCORETM , GE Healthcare, LU44663]. Body mass index [BMI] was calculated as a body weight [kg] divided by the height squared [m2]. A fasting blood test was drawn for analysis of serum 25[OH]D [DiaSorin, Stillwater, MN, USA].
Results: The median BMI was 27.9 kg/m2[min 16.9, max 37.3]. The majority, 70%, had vitamin D deficiency; serum 25[OH]D <10 ng/ml [25 nmol/l].
The median value of Z-score compared with the reference interval for the American white population was -0.9 SD [min -3.4, max 1.6] of the lumbar spine; 0.1 SD [min -1.7, max 2.1] of the left hip and 0.0 SD [min -2.0, max 1.7] of the right hip. The median value of T-score was -0.6 SD [min -3.2, max 2.0] of the lumbar spine; 0.0 SD [min -2.1, max 2.5] of the left hip and 0.1 SD [min -2.2, max 2.3] of the right hip.
The median value of Z-score compared with reference interval for the African-American population was -1.5 SD [min -4.0, max 0.9] of the lumbar spine; -0.9 SD [min -2.8, max 1.0] of the left hip and -0.9 SD [min -3.0, max 2.2] of the right hip. The median value of T-score was -0.7 SD [min -3.2, max 2.0] of the lumbar spine; 0.1 SD [min -1.9, max 2.5] of the left hip and 0.2 SD [min -2.2, max 2.3] of the right hip. No fractures were reported during life. The relation between BMD and the visual analogue scale [VAS] for pain scoring and the duration of years in Sweden, respectively, will be analyzed.
Conclusions: BMD was lower in these fairy young immigrant women from Somalia, living in Sweden, in relation to the African-American reference population. Vitamin D supplementation should be considered to prevent from osteomalacia and future fractures.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/endo-meetings.2014.BCHVD.16.SAT-0242

Endocrine Society's 96th Annual Meeting and Expo, June 21–24, 2014 - Chicago

SAT-0242:
Vitamin D Treatment in Somalian Women Living in Sweden - a Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study

Amra Osmancevic1, Taye Demeke2, Anne Lene Krogstad3, Håkan Sinclair4, Eva Angesjö5, Gamal El-Gawad6 and Kerstin Landin-Wilhelmsen7
1Department of Dermatology, Gothenburg, Sweden
2Lärjedalen Primary Health Care, Gothenburg, Sweden
3Section for Climate Therapy, Oslo, Norway
4Department of Geriatric Medicine, Borås, Sweden
5Brämhult Primary Health Care, Alingsås, Sweden
6Gamlestadens Primary Health care, Gothenburg, Sweden
7Section for Endocrinology, Gothenburg, Sweden
Presentation Number: SAT-0242
Date of Presentation: June 21, 2014
ABSTRACT
Abstract:
Background: Sun exposure is the strongest factor affecting vitamin D status in man. Vitamin D deficiency is a common health problem among immigrants with dark skin and with reduced sun exposure. There is limited information about how common and how serious vitamin D deficiency is in this population.
Aim: The aim was to compare the effect of two doses of oral vitamin D intake/placebo on serum 25[OH]D levels in healthy Somalian women [latitude 0-10°N] in Sweden [latitude 57° North].
Subjects: A total of 102 women from Somalia [mean age 34.2 years, 0.95CI: 32.3 - 36.0] living in Sweden >2 years participated.
Methods: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was performed with two doses of vitamin D. Oral drops containing 800 IU, 1600 IU cholecalciferol and similar amounts of placebo were given during 12 weeks. Blood tests including 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25[OH]D] were monitored before and every 6thweek throughout 6 months, i.e. 3 months follow-up after the treatment.
Results: The majority of women [n=71; 70%] were vitamin D deficient, 25[OH]D < 10 ng/ml [25 nmol/l] at the start of the study.
After six weeks of treatment only 50 subjects [49%] entered the first study visit. The mean increase in serum 25[OH]D after six weeks in subjects treated with 800 IU [n=14] was 6.0 ng/ml [14.9 nmol/l] [0.95CI: 9.0 - 20.8.] and the mean increase for subjects treated with 1600 IU [n=17] was 8.7 ng/ml [21.8 nmol/l] [0.95CI: 11.3 - 32.2.] The subjects in the placebo group [n=19] had no increase in 25[OH]D. There was a dose dependent increase in serum 25[OH]D levels [P=0.024].
After twelve weeks only 35 patients [34%] remained in the study. The mean increase in serum 25[OH]D after twelve weeks in patients treated with 800 IU [n=13] was 7.1 ng/ml [17.8 nmol/l] [0.95CI: 6.2 - 29.3.] and the mean increase for patients treated with 1600 IU [n=12] was 12.0 ng/ml [29.9 nmol/l] [0.95CI: 17.5 - 42.4.] There was no significant difference between serum 25[OH]D increase in the groups treated with 800 IU and 1600 IU, probably due to the low number of remaining participants.
During the follow-up period, after the per-oral vitamin D treatment was terminated, the serum 25[OH]D levels decreased but were still above baseline levels in the treatment groups. The placebo group remained unchanged in 25[OH]D levels throughout the study.
Conclusions: Vitamin D deficiency is a very common problem in immigrants living at higher latitudes. Treatment with Vitamin D in Somalian women living in Sweden increased the serum 25[OH]D levels dose dependently compared with placebo during 3 months. The effect was maintained for another 3 months. One third of the subjects dropped out from the study for unknown reasons indicating that this study group was hard to reach and, by that, difficult to treat.
Nothing to Disclose: AO, TD, ALK, HS, EA, GE, KL

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00431-013-2198-x

European Journal of Pediatrics
May 2014, Volume 173, Issue 5, pp 583-588
Date: 21 Nov 2013

Vitamin D deficiency among native Dutch and first- and second-generation non-Western immigrants

Minke H. W. Huibers, Douwe H. Visser, Martine M. L. Deckers, Natasja M. van Schoor, A. Marceline van Furth, Bart H. M. Wolf

Abstract
The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25[OH]D] deficiency in a hospital-based population of both native Dutch and non-Western immigrants and to investigate the influence of immigrant status on the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency. A cross-sectional survey was conducted among 132 patients [1–18 years of age] visiting the paediatric outpatient department. Serum levels of 25[OH]D were measured using high-performance liquid chromatography. Cut-off levels of 30 and 50 nmol/l for serum 25[OH]D were evaluated. One third of the patients had serum 25[OH]D levels below 30 nmol/l, and half of the study population had serum levels below 50 nmol/l. Non-Western immigrants had an increased risk for vitamin D deficiency compared to their native Dutch peers [25[OH]D of <30 nmol/l, p = 0.03, odds ratio [OR] 3.87 [95 % confidence interval [CI] 1.13–13.29]; 25[OH]D of <50 nmol/l, p = 0.02, OR 3.57 [95 % CI 1.26–10.14]] with the highest risk for first-generation non-Western immigrants. Conclusion: Vitamin D deficiency in the paediatric population is still a matter of concern in the Netherlands, in particular among first-generation non-Western immigrants. We therefore strongly recommend vitamin D supplementation for all non-Western immigrants, regardless of age, skin type or season. Health-care staff who work with non-Western immigrants should be aware of the prevalence and implications of vitamin D deficiency.
Endocrine Society's 96th Annual Meeting and Expo, June 21–24, 2014 - Chicago

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ponsford
Member # 20191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ponsford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The standard test that they are doing is for white people who have more protein bound to their 25-hydroxy form of vitamin D,Blacks have far less protein bound to their 25-hydroxy form hence more of the vitamin is bioavailable to blacks.The study is in New England Journal of Medicine.
Posts: 121 | From: Guyana | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do a proper job, the bare minimum is mentioning the title of the article

A testing method is a seperate issue from end result, post disease statistical data showing case rates differences by ethnicity for bone diseases and low bone mineral density

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL!
Still trying I see, and even resorting to using isolated and inconclusive source data.

LMAO!!

I haven't read the whole study because I'm afraid I'll use too much time picking it apart when it really doesn't deserve that much of my time.

Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Lioness, since you seem to be determined to resurrect all the bogus Albino studies concerning the false claim that Blacks need vitamin D supplements in the North. And not having the time to respond lie by lie: but still wanting our gallery to know the truth. I have decided to simply post a link to a page which debunks most of those Albino lies.

http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Misc/Data/Vitamin_d_and_blacks/Vitamin_d_and_blacks.htm

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Mike, wake up the studies in this thread topic are 2014
You have already demonstrated an increase of rickets in Britain and Britain has 1.8 million black people as well as other dark skinned persons
You will note that the article did not say "remarkably blacks were not affected"
because as we all know vitamin D defiency related diseases are in fact at a higher rate for people with dark skin in Norhern and relatively Northern countries, that is supported by medical records
You will probably not find this situation in South Europe or the Southern U.S.
So Mike, you probably don't have to worry in the Bay

Any general comments about "African Americans" and vitamin D that do not regard particular states or sub regions of America are of little value.
Further, debate about diagnostic testing methods is a separate issue from end result medical records of people have already contracted symptoms of vitamin d deficiency related diseases

I have a feeling Narmertot takes vitamins daily.
It would be funny if he purposely does not take Vitamin D just support his bigoted theories
I'm not sure if he lives in one of the colder states though. He claims on his profile to be located on Saturn, average temperature of minus 288 degrees. That's where they send you if

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narmerthoth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give it up Liarness.
The theories you are presenting are just wack and much too easy to debunk.

Funny though. I had a check up with a Jewish quack who tried to get me to take these 2000 au Vitamin D supplements. The quack loaded me up with two 100 pill bottles, the fool.
Every time I see this quack he is trying to force me to take blood tests which I always refuse.

The reason I won't take them is my other doctors, one Indian and one black told me to ignore the Jew because Whites/Jews don't know anything about treating black people. The Indian doctors was very vocal in expressing this reality. I allow him to take a blood sample once a year.

Posts: 4693 | From: Saturn | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
You go off endlessly on how Jews are evil yet you go to a Jewish doctor
you are either a hypocrite or stupid

cross your fingers that the Indian doc gives a damn or is trained in nutrition
Why even bother with white based Western medicine, Are these Indian and black docs trained in indigenous medicine?
Did they ever prescribe herbs to you?
Where are you going, to the VA or some clinic?

CelticWarrioress
Banned
Member # 19701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CelticWarrioress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah what Lioness said Narmer you Whitey hating, wanna kill Whitey, Black racist, Black supremacist demon, why do you go to the Jew (Jews aint White btw) if you feel that way about him, why not drop the Jew one?? See we have something in common, I won't let a Black, Jewish or other Non-White doctor touch me, as they wouldn't know a dang thing about treating Whites & not only that but they may be Whitey hating Black/Non-White racists like you & the Black & Indian doctors you see and may try to harm or kill me because I'm White. I hope those two's White patients find out how they really feel about them so they can find another doctor.
Posts: 3257 | From: Madisonville, KY USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Heeheehee
Don't hate on a black man cause he got good health plan and triple opinion.

--------------------
Selenium gives real life and true reality

CelticWarrioress
Banned
Member # 19701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CelticWarrioress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't answer the question Narmer, Why go to a doctor who is of a race/you believe to be of a race you hate, don't trust, & who you believe is a quack. I don't get it.
Posts: 3257 | From: Madisonville, KY USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Doxie, your threshold for hating is much much lower than mine.
For me, hate is much to demanding and too primiative an emotion to embrace.

Just because I have pointed out that Jews and whites are both albinos from the same family and that Jews are much more dominating and crafty than their gentile cousins doesn't mean I hate them.

As far as my having a Jewish quack doctor, I live in a city that is comprised of blacks, albino Jews and albino gentles. So, I know Jews very well, and use them when it is to my advantage.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
because you can't trust what Narmertoth says compared to his actions, he's fake

so much for keeping it in the community with the powernomics

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
Ok Boris.

--------------------
Selenium gives real life and true reality

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Narmerthoth:
use them when it is to my advantage.

Narmerthoth
Member # 20259

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
Are these Indian and black docs trained in indigenous medicine?
D

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com