EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The SAGE Encyclopedia of African Cultural Heritage in North America 2015

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The SAGE Encyclopedia of African Cultural Heritage in North America 2015
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://books.google.com/books?id=ooVNCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

-

The SAGE Encyclopedia of African Cultural Heritage in North America 2015
edited by Mwalimu J. Shujaa, Kenya J. Shujaa
992 pages
SAGE Publications

The Encyclopedia of African Cultural Heritage in North America provides an accessible ready reference on the retention and continuity of African culture within the United States. Our conceptual framework holds, first, that culture is a form of self-knowledge and knowledge about self in the world as transmitted from one person to another. Second, that African people continuously create their own cultural history as they move through time and space. Third, that African descended people living outside of Africa are also contributors to and participate in the creation of African cultural history. Entries focus on illuminating Africanisms (cultural retentions traceable to an African origin) and cultural continuities (ongoing practices and processes through which African culture continues to be created and formed). Thus, the focus is more culturally specific and less concerned with the broader transatlantic demographic, political and geographic issues that are the focus of similar recent reference works. We also focus less on biographies of individuals and political and economic ties and more on processes and manifestations of African cultural heritage and continuity.

FEATURES:

A two-volume A-to-Z work, available in a choice of print or electronic formats
350 signed entries, each concluding with Cross-references and Further Readings
150 figures and photos
Front matter consisting of an Introduction and a Reader’s Guide organizing entries thematically to more easily guide users to related entries
Signed articles concluding with cross-references

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
'

The book cost almost $400. Looking through the table of contents and index the book will not give you any Afrocentric information on Afro-American history, nor real African cultural influences on the U.S. There is no discussion of the work of J.A. Rogers, W.E.B. DuBois etc., as a result I don't think any of the readers of Egyptsearch would find the book significant or interesting. The section of Genetics is especially disappointing, although the copyright date is 2015, it fails to note the recent work on the ancient Egyptian DNA. Just reciting the work of Kittles and Keita on Afro-American genetics will only lead to mantainabce of the status quo or Eurocentric views of Afro-American genetics

The material discussed in the text is Eurocentric approved, and furthers the idea of the suffering "negro", rather than the strength adherence to African and Black Native Americans cultural values played in our survival in the U.S.A.

I would not recommend this work to anyone who sincerely seeks information on the African heritage of Afro-Americans.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clyde - as they say: consider the source!
Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
 -
'

The book cost almost $400.

why are you saying this two volume book costs $400 when it's price is $240 ?

quote:

Looking through the table of contents and index the book will not give you any Afrocentric information on Afro-American history, nor real African cultural influences on the U.S. There is no discussion of the work of J.A. Rogers, W.E.B. DuBois etc.,

why are you saying that the book does not mention J.A. Rogers when it does discuss J.A. Rogers on page 329, 231 and 927 ?
Dubois is also referenced

quote:

as a result I don't think any of the eaders of Egyptsearch would find the book significant or interesting. The section of Genetics is especially disappointing given the recent work on the ancient Egyptian DNA.

I would not recommend this work to anyone who sincerely seeks information on the African heritage of Afro-Americans.

. [/qb]

Ish Gebor and others this is another example of Clyde's jealousy of other researchers. There is a huge amount of valuable research in this 992 page book.

look at the List of Entries at the beginning

https://books.google.com/books?id=ooVNCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

quote:
Originally posted by Mike11:

Guess what I didn't write this book.

People flipping off this book having not read a single page are ignorant and self promoting

Mike is such a hypocrite. He himself says he willfully hasn't read Diop and other important afrocentric authors

^^ read some and judge for yourself rather than have other jealous "researchers" tell you not to

They don't know what they are talking about- the have not read any of it !!

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.BARRY
Member # 22528

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for T.BARRY   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I strongly recommend a work by the late C.A Diop entitled " African Origins to Civilization Reality or Myth" and "Nile Valley Contribution to Civilization" by Anthony T.Browder vol# 1 ...
Posts: 2 | From: Jamaica , NY | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
 -
'

The book cost almost $400.

why are you saying this two volume book costs $400 when it's price is $240 ?

quote:

Looking through the table of contents and index the book will not give you any Afrocentric information on Afro-American history, nor real African cultural influences on the U.S. There is no discussion of the work of J.A. Rogers, W.E.B. DuBois etc.,

why are you saying that the book does not mention J.A. Rogers when it does discuss J.A. Rogers on page 329, 231 and 927 ?
Dubois is also referenced

quote:

as a result I don't think any of the eaders of Egyptsearch would find the book significant or interesting. The section of Genetics is especially disappointing given the recent work on the ancient Egyptian DNA.

Ish Gebor and others this is another example of Clyde's jealousy of other researchers. There is a huge amount of valuable research in this 992 page book.

look at the List of Entries at the beginning

quote:
Originally posted by Mike11:

Guess what I didn't write this book.

People flipping off this book having not read a single page are ignorant and self promoting

Mike is such a hypocrite. He himself says he willfully hasn't read Diop and other important afrocentric authors

^^ read some and judge for yourself rather than have other jealous "researchers" tell you not to

They don't know what they are talking about- the have not read any of it !! [/QB]

J.A. rogers, is cited as a reference, there is no discussion of his work. There is some discussion of the work of Diop, but none concerning the influence of DuBois, on Afrocentric research (p.214). Also, on page 217, the writer claims that only 1.2 million Africans came as slaves.
Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DD'eDeN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I (preliminarily) have to agree with Dr. Winters.

I've found other entries in the Sage encyclopedia to be biased or limited in explanatory value.

--------------------
xyambuatlaya

Posts: 2021 | From: Miami | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by DD'eDeN:
I (preliminarily) have to agree with Dr. Winters.

I've found other entries in the Sage encyclopedia to be biased or limited in explanatory value.

that has no value until you explain

Plus why would you agree with someone who did not read a single page of the book
and who said J.A. Rogers was not discussed when J.A. Rogers was discussed in the book?

DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DD'eDeN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall reading an entry on human evolution in the Sage Encyclopedia which listed bipeds yet excluded sifakas & kangaroos.

Whether Dr. Winters fully read it or not, I agree with his opinion of it being incomplete in some significant areas.

Posts: 2021 | From: Miami | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
lol
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
"lol" the lioness,

I contacted the author (J.M.) who wrote the Sage Encyclopedia article I referred to above; he admitted his error of omission, and contacted Sage to correct the entry, the electronic version was corrected immediately.

My point is that Sage editors did not check the entry for full accuracy, I did. So if Dr. Winters claims that some information is missing from Sage encyclopedia on Black history, I would not dismiss it, despite our differences of opinion on some subjects.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"lol" the lioness,

I contacted the author (J.M.) who wrote the Sage Encyclopedia article I referred to above; he admitted his error of omission, and contacted Sage to correct the entry, the electronic version was corrected immediately.

My point is that Sage editors did not check the entry for full accuracy, I did. So if Dr. Winters claims that some information is missing from Sage encyclopedia on Black history, I would not dismiss it, despite our differences of opinion on some subjects.

Nice work.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
quote:
"lol" the lioness,

Nice work.
Obviously it's not the same book and you, Gebor are you stupid for not looking at the one I was referring to. I told you no thoughtless cheerleading and jumping on the bandwagon
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Not the same book, but (to use CW's phrase) perhaps of the same "ilk"?

--------------------
xyambuatlaya

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Not the same book, but (to use CW's phrase) perhaps of the same "ilk"?

Not not the same ilk, completely different authors

Again, anybody who has not read some part of the book is unqualified to comment on it

ABOUT THE AUTHORS

Mwalimu J. Shujaa is a professor and dean of the College of Education and Human Development at Southern University in New Orleans, Louisiana. He holds an EdD in anthropology of education from the Graduate School of Education at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Dr. Shujaa was the founding executive director of the African World Studies Institute at Fort Valley State University in Georgia and successfully led that institution’s effort to launch a degree program in African World Studies. He held joint appointments in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy in the Graduate School of Education and in the Department of African American Studies at the State University of New York at Buffalo. His scholarly interests focus on the intersections between schooling, education, and culture; African-centered education; and educational policy. He is also a former editor of the journal Educational Policy. His books, Beyond Desegregation: The Politics of Quality in American Education (Corwin Press, 1996) and Too Much Schooling, Too Little Education: A Paradox of Black Life in White Societies (Africa World Press, 1994) are frequently cited in discussions related to African-centered education. His articles have appeared in notable peer-reviewed journals, including Journal of Negro Education, Theory Into Practice, Journal of Education, Educational Policy, Urban Education, Educational Considerations, and Administrator’s Notebook. Dr. Shujaa has collaborated with colleagues at the Federal University at São Carlos Brazil to study the reclaiming of African cultural identities among people of African ancestry living outside of Africa. He was the principal investigator for two Cross-Hemispheric Partnership projects targeting the teaching of Afro-Brazilian culture and history. Both projects were funded by the United Negro College Fund Special Programs Office and the United States Agency for International Development. He contributed to Molefi Kete Asante and Mambo Ama Mazama’s Encyclopedia of Black Studies (Sage, 2007); Molefi Kete Asante and Mambo Ama Mazama’s Encyclopedia of African Religion (Sage, 2009), and Kofi Lomotey’s Encyclopedia of African American Education
(Sage, 2010).

Kenya J. Shujaa is an independent scholar who received her education and training in anthropology at Howard University and the University of Pennsylvania. Her primary research interests include the archaeology and bioarchaeology of West Africa and the African diaspora, particularly the biological and cultural links between West Africans and African-descended peoples in the Americas and interactions between gender and space in West Africa. She has worked professionally in the United States, Peru, Mexico, and Ghana, notably as an osteological technician and, later, as assistant laboratory director and osteologist for the New York African Burial Ground Project. Most recently, she served as bioarchaeological supervisor for the Proyecto Purgatorio (Purgatory Project), in Casma, Peru. Ms. Shujaa’s publications include “Akan Cultural History: An Overview” (Akan People: A Documentary History, edited by Kwasi Konadu, pp. 29-88, Markus Weiner Publishers, 2013); “Gender and Space in Nineteenth Century Asante” (Sankofa Pan-Afrikan Journal of Nationbuilding and ReAfrikanization, 2006); and “Subadult Growth and Development,” with S. K. Goode-Null and Leslie Rankin-Hill (The New York African Burial Ground Skeletal Biology Report, 2004). She has taught anthropology and sociology courses as a member of adjunct faculties at Widener University and the Community College of Philadelphia. In addition to her independent research projects, she currently works as an editor, researcher, and curriculum developer.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
"lol" the lioness,

Nice work.
Obviously it's not the same book and you, Gebor are you stupid for not looking at the one I was referring to. I told you no thoughtless cheerleading and jumping on the bandwagon
I give credit where credit is given due. This has little to do with bandwagons, pompons and cheerleaders etc.

DD'eDeN contacted the author and rest is history.

quote:

After all, the title of the thread says: "The SAGE Encyclopedia of African Cultural Heritage in North America 2015".

Encyclopedias are usually a collective of several authors.

You yourself posted about the "authors". Hence the plural.

https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/the-sage-encyclopedia-of-african-cultural-heritage-in-north-america/book239523

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
DD'eDeN: "My point is that Sage editors did not check the entry for full accuracy, "

the lioness, : "completely different authors"

Same or different editors?
---
"edited by Mwalimu J. Shujaa, Kenya J. Shujaa"

"ABOUT THE AUTHORS"
---
the lioness, : "anybody who has not read some part of the book is unqualified to comment on it"

I am qualified to comment on a Sage Encyclopedia of any topic, since the editorial staff, not individual contributing authors, control the entry contents, it is their professional responsibility.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] "lol" the lioness,

Nice work.

I give credit where credit is given due. This has little to do with bandwagons, pompons and cheerleaders etc.

DD'eDeN contacted the author and rest is history.

quote:

After all, the title of the thread says: "The SAGE Encyclopedia of African Cultural Heritage in North America 2015".

If the title of the thread is "The SAGE Encyclopedia of African Cultural Heritage in North America " and somebody comments about "sifakas & kangaroos" obviously they haven't read a page of the book and are instead referring to a different SAGE encyclopedia on another topic by different authors. Furthermore he said they corrected the error on that book immediatley

-and further excuses to not look at a good new book on African Cultural Heritage by African authors

You should be ashamed

DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
the lioness, : "...another topic by different authors..."

I was writing about Sage Encyclopedia editors' verification responsibilities. Subject and author are irrelevant to that, as is the correction.

the lioness, : "...look at a good new book on African Cultural Heritage by African authors"

So, the lioness, has already read the book? Are all the entries accurate?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com