EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Black Nykyri during Russo-Swedish war 1570-1595

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Black Nykyri during Russo-Swedish war 1570-1595
Imari
Member # 22809

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Imari   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I wanted to share you something of less known history I just happened to find out while reading the folk stories of Finland. During 1570-1595 there was a war in which Russians attacked Swedish controlled Finland. One of the heroes was the peasant chief called Musta-Nykyri (Black Nykyri). The epithet comes from his skin color as he was dark skinned. He was a giant compared to Finns, very strong and a formidable warrior, but not only that but he was also a mighty witch and he was able to conjure soldiers from plain chicken feathers.

Too bad that all information about him is found only in folk stories and no information of his later life or if he had any relatives. There is a family named Nykyri even today but they surely aren't related to this man.

--------------------
https://trueafrohistory.000webhostapp.com

Posts: 2 | From: Finland | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imari
Member # 22809

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imari   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Came to my mind while looking that name that it resembles word "neekeri" which is a racial slur these days, but it was originally a loan word meaning black skinned people.

--------------------
https://trueafrohistory.000webhostapp.com

Posts: 2 | From: Finland | Registered: Aug 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com