EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » A black / mixed Viking chief in Netflix "Vikings Valhalla" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A black / mixed Viking chief in Netflix "Vikings Valhalla"
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Netflix new TV series Vikings Valhalla, which is a sort of continuation of the popular series Vikings, features a mixed woman whose Viking grandfather met her royal African grandmother while in the great trading city of Alexandria, Egypt. The girl grows up and becomes a female jarl, a Viking ruler.

Of course the person is totally made up and none of the ancient sources mention a Viking ruler with African ancestry. But diversity is one of todays buzz words so they of course have to have a mixed dark skinned Viking in a popular TV series, so everyone can feel included.

It can also be mentioned that in the first Viking series there was a Chinese woman included, but she was never a Jarl.

The half African Jarl Estrid Haakon is played by Caroline Hendersson a black/mixed Danish-Swedish pop and Jazz singer and actress.

quote:
Caroline Henderson (born February 28, 1962) is a Danish–Swedish pop-jazz singer and actress. She portrays Jarl Estrid Haakon in the Netflix series Vikings: Valhalla.

Henderson was born in Stockholm, Sweden. She grew up in Philadelphia, New York, and Paris, before moving to Copenhagen, Denmark in 1983 and spent her youth singing in various jazz bands. She was part of the pop group Ray Dee Ohh in 1989. After the group disbanded, Henderson launched a solo career with multi award-winning album Cinemataztic in 1995.

Henderson has also appeared as an actress in plays and films, and has produced 12 studio albums, winning eight Danish Music Awards for her music over the years. Henderson appeared in the Spanish feature film Tuya Siempre. She also starred in the Pulitzer prize winning play Disgraced. She is known for her work on Always Yours, Max Pinlig, and Gooseboy.

Caroline Henderson

How ‘Vikings: Valhalla’ Star Caroline Henderson Saw Herself in a Warrior Queen

-

More about the TV-series

Vikings: Valhalla

-

The TV-series also includes real historical persons like Leif Erikson, Frejdis, Harald Hårdråde och Vilhelm the Conquerer.

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2683 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It starts to be really tiresome and after that black members here dare to play the victims. The thing is they always take black or mulatto actors you'll rarely see an arab, indian, east asian, etc These woke idiots really destroy everything they touch.

I can't even imagine what the future holds...

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you care? Supposedly you aren't white,it strange as non-white European you would care so much. Also,there are Black Arabs and Indians as dark as Africans and some quite comparable to Africans phenotypically. Lastly, East Asia is a region.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
Why do you care? Supposedly you aren't white,it strange as non-white European you would care so much. Also,there are Black Arabs and Indians as dark as Africans and some quite comparable to Africans phenotypically. Lastly, East Asia is a region.

Because it's not historically accurate and I'm also talking about a more general trend look for example with the recent witcher show or the upcoming lotr serie...they're forcing too much with their agenda that it doesn't even make any sense now.

If they had put a north african actor as a viking or as an elf in the lotr serie I would have also been bothered.

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say that but I don't believe you.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
You say that but I don't believe you.

why ? It should logically bothers you too because it breaks the coherence.
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has indeed become a trend in media (both social media and film/TV) inserting black, or subsaharan African looking, people in other, non African peoples history. One can discern both political and economic motifs behind this, especially since African Americans, and Europeans with African background are groups that grow economically and who are consumers of popular culture. Also an Afrocentric agenda together with so called political correctness can be coupled to the phenomena.

Many defenders of this trend points to that white, Europeans have done the same, inserted themselves into others history, during longer time and in larger scale. But one can wonder if two wrongs makes one right?

--------------------

Posts: 2683 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
It has indeed become a trend in media (both social media and film/TV) inserting black, or subsaharan African looking, people in other, non African peoples history. One can discern both political and economic motifs behind this, especially since African Americans, and Europeans with African background are groups that grow economically and who are consumers of popular culture. Also an Afrocentric agenda together with so called political correctness can be coupled to the phenomena.

Many defenders of this trend points to that white, Europeans have done the same, inserted themselves into others history, during longer time and in larger scale. But one can wonder if two wrongs makes one right?

I do agree with you on the political and economic motifs but I feel like there is more to it because for example in France or Belgium ; north africans are much more numerous than blacks yet you barely see any north african in the media and 3/4 of the ads have at least one black or mulatto.
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Seems it is also ideological, a sort of misguided "political correctness", and maybe also influence from vocal Afrocentrics.

--------------------

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Thereal implied I was racist but no as you can see I'm not the only one who noticed this trend :

-

What a pity one of my favorite universe getting destroyed by their ideology ; I don't even think I'll watch it.

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
That guy is blind or something. Asia is a region, Arab is a type of culture in western Asia and the origin Latins/o are European. Depending on the casting,the issue would be the form of the face than color.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
That guy is blind or something. Asia is a region, Arab is a type of culture in western Asia and the origin Latins/o are European. Depending on the casting,the issue would be the form of the face than color.

what are you talking about ? None of these people are black or white so why aren't they represented in medias ? Where is this "diversity" ?

anyway in my case I don't care as long as it's coherent but this clearly shows how inconsistent these liberals are.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moved to Deshret since this is basically reactionary whining about one fictional character being mixed race in a show about seafaring adventurers who traveled far and wide.

Anti-SJWs sure are an easily triggered bunch.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antalas:
Thereal implied I was racist but no as you can see I'm not the only one who noticed this trend :

-

What a pity one of my favorite universe getting destroyed by their ideology ; I don't even think I'll watch it.

I suppose you'd feel more comfortable with all the non-European people fighting on Sauron's side like in the original Lord of the Rings books?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

Oh come on, stop being racist

You come here to Egyptsearch, majority black forum members and you expect sympathy for not watching it due to the skin color of two characters?

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might be able to bring in a larger black audience with these characters and make more money, that is another factor, it's not just some pure social justice move
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
They might be able to bring in a lager black audience with these characters and make more money, that is another factor, it's not just some pure social justice move

Plus, controversy sells, or at least gets your property in the news. It’s like a form of trolling.

That said, while I don’t see one fictional jarl in a Viking show having African ancestry being that big a deal, I do think it would be nice if non-European cultures and mythologies got more love in pop culture and media. Having a few Black characters in a European setting isn’t necessarily problematic, but a show with an African setting would be even better if representation is a big part of the agenda.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
I suppose you'd feel more comfortable with all the non-European people fighting on Sauron's side like in the original Lord of the Rings books?

Well if you actually knew anything about that universe you would have known that not all of them joined sauron and not all evil humans were "non-european". The false accusations of tolkien being racist have already been debunked.
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
quote:

-

You come here to Egyptsearch, majority black forum members and you expect sympathy for not watching it due to the skin color of two characters?

Racism ? How is that racism ? I literally said that If they had put north african actors I'd have also been pissed. It wouldn't have been a problem if actually those black actors were humans coming from Umbar or south Harad but here they've put them among dwarves, hobbits, elves, etc how is that supposed to make sense ? It totally breaks the immersion and coherence + they say it has to be inclusive and includes member of minorities yet I don't see any minority being represented here it's always blacks or mulattoes.
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Well if you actually knew anything about that universe you would have known that not all of them joined sauron and not all evil humans were "non-european". The false accusations of tolkien being racist have already been debunked.

Tolkien had his stand-ins for Africa and Asia (Harad and Rhun, respectively) more or less united in alliance with his arch-villain against the "good guys", the latter all being concentrated in his stand-in for Europe. You don't think that has racist implications at all? Think about it, why did Tolkien choose to have all his good guys fighting on behalf of Europe and all his African and Asian characters (or at least almost all of them) fighting on the bad guys' team?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Racism ? How is that racism ? I literally said that If they had put north african actors I'd have also been pissed. It wouldn't have been a problem if actually those black actors were humans coming from Umbar or south Harad but here they've put them among dwarves, hobbits, elves, etc how is that supposed to make sense ? It totally breaks the immersion and coherence + they say it has to be inclusive and includes member of minorities yet I don't see any minority being represented here it's always blacks or mulattoes.
Newsflash, elves and hobbits don't exist
Rings of Power is costing Amazon about a literal billion dollars
As I just finished saying this is not just a social justice intent, they are analyzing demographic markets and guessing where they could potentially make more money. African Americans are about 47 million of the U.S.
Arabs are 3.5 million
So if the put a black character it corresponds to a population over 13 times the size of the Arab population. So just on demographic marketing they are not going to bother with Arabs.
They know that the audience is mainly white and they are already hooked, they will watched even if a couple fuss about it. So if the put in a couple of black people it could potentially enlarge their audience.
So if people want a billion dollar production they may have to endure their attempts at enlarging their market.

Rings of Power is an entirely fictional work of entertainment
So if they put a couple of black people to play these roles why should anybody care?
Just because you don't like their appearance?
It's acting, performance, theater, and completely mythological

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
quote:

Tolkien had his stand-ins for Africa and Asia (Harad and Rhun, respectively) more or less united in alliance with his arch-villain against the "good guys", the latter all being concentrated in his stand-in for Europe. You don't think that has racist implications at all? Think about it, why did Tolkien choose to have all his good guys fighting on behalf of Europe and all his African and Asian characters (or at least almost all of them) fighting on the bad guys' team?
Like I said this has already been debunked :

quote:
Tolkien also wrote that the Blue Wizards, who do not appear in 'The Lord of the Rings narrative, were sent into the South and East lands to spread dissent and resistance against Sauron. While he wrote on one occasion (as given in Unfinished Tales) that they failed, on another occasion (as given in The Peoples of Middle-earth) he wrote that they were successful, making Sauron's hold on these lands throughout the centuries significantly weaker than it should have been. This prevented Sauron from overwhelming the West with his armies and ultimately contributed to his defeat in the War of the Ring. This means that Southrons and Easterlings resisting Sauron were meant to exist, only that their stories remain untold.
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Racism_in_Tolkien%27s_Works

quote:
As for what you say or hint of ‘local’ conditions: I knew of them. I don't think they have much changed (even for the worse). I used to hear them discussed by my mother; and have ever since taken a special interest in that part of the world. The treatment of colour nearly always horrifies anyone going out from Britain, & not only in South Africa. Unfort[unately], not many retain that generous sentiment for long.
― Letter 61 — Written to Christopher Tolkien who was stationed in South Africa during World War II
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:

As I just finished saying this is not just a social justice intent, they are analyzing demographic markets and guessing where they could potentially make more money. African Americans are about 47 million of the U.S.
Arabs are 3.5 million
So if the put a black character it corresponds to a population over 13 times the size of the Arab population. So just on demographic marketing they are not going to bother with Arabs.
They know that the audience is mainly white and they are already hooked, they will watched even if a couple fuss about it. So if the put in a couple of black people it could potentially enlarge their audience.
So if people want a billion dollar production they may have to endure their attempts at enlarging their market.

So if they put a couple of black people to play these roles why should anybody care?
It's acting, performance, theater, and completely mythological [/QB]

I did not deny that it was above all motivated by economic profit it's just that it's a pity that such universe is affected by these ideological and economic motives. I did not imply black actors perform badly simply that their presence breaks the coherence like I said if they had made them coming from a specific southern place as humans then I'd have had absolutely no problem with it but now how are you supposed to explain the presence of a black elf with kinky hair in the middle of "nordic" looking elves ? Same for dwarves ... fictional or not it has to be at least coherent with what tolkien wrote.

You can put any black actors you want in a star wars-like universe if you want but in the case of middle earth it doesn't make sense.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Iranian-British actress, Nazanin Boniadi was cast in the show... [Roll Eyes]
No out cry about that....hmm I wonder why
quote:
It starts to be really tiresome and after that black members here dare to play the victims. The thing is they always take black or mulatto actors you'll rarely see an arab, indian, east asian, etc These woke idiots really destroy everything they touch.

I can't even imagine what the future holds...

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just boils down to racism, these people complained when Star Wars cast black actors and even when the Hunger Games did it. (Despite the fact that the books heavily implied that district 11, the one Rue came from was black/Dark Skinned)

In the case of the black Viking Jarl, its kinda baseless and silly, but LOTR Rings of Power is fictional...

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Arabs are 3.5 million

It's acting, performance, theater, and completely mythological

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
[QB] An Iranian-British actress, Nazanin Boniadi was cast in the show... [Roll Eyes]

yes as a human which makes sense but if she was taken for an elf role it would have been more problematic. Also are you seriously pretending that there as many MENAs/asians in the medias than blacks ? Be honest
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
[QB] It just boils down to racism, these people complained when Star Wars cast black actors and even when the Hunger Games did it. (Despite the fact that the books heavily implied that district 11, the one Rue came from was black/Dark Skinned)

In the case of the black Viking Jarl, its kinda baseless and silly, but LOTR Rings of Power is fictional...

I literally just wrote that I'd have no problem in universes like Star Wars since it's a galactic cosmopolite world and same for hunger games. If you pay attention to what I wrote I'm pretty sure you would agree with me and it has nothing to do with "racism".
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
What Genre? Historical..??

https://www.google.com/search?q=historical+movies+recent&source=lmns&bih=752&biw=1440&client=firefox-b-1-d&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwim863n18z4AhVYU80KHYmLAowQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA#wxpd=:true

Sorry but I don't see this fantasy of over saturation of blacks in Media, where is it?

quote:
quote:
[QB] An Iranian-British actress, Nazanin Boniadi was cast in the show... [Roll Eyes]

yes as a human which makes sense but if she was taken for an elf role it would have been more problematic. Also are you seriously pretending that there as many MENAs/asians in the medias than blacks ? Be honest

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:

Sorry but I don't see this fantasy of over saturation of blacks in Media, where is it?

I'm talking in general : movies/series/Adds

Here we're more numerous than blacks yet we're never represented in any media even the movies based on true stories that involved north africans all of them got replaced by black actors. And without even exaggerating I think we've reached a point where you see more blacks/mulattoes on screen than whites especially in the advertisement field. I wouldn't care if we were at least also represented but now they even managed to do this with LOTR.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
My comment was'nt directed at you but the homophobic/transphobic garbage human and others like him in that picture you posted.

Fact is these same people were bitching about Star Wars, and The Hunger Games even when the damn books says the character with Dark Brown skin.

I mean if its just inserting a black elf in the show just to meet a quota then sure its silly, but maybe the show explains it, maybe she plays the elf role really good who knows...its fiction at eh end of the day...who cares.

quote:
quote:
[QB] It just boils down to racism, these people complained when Star Wars cast black actors and even when the Hunger Games did it. (Despite the fact that the books heavily implied that district 11, the one Rue came from was black/Dark Skinned)

I literally just wrote that I'd have no problem in universes like Star Wars since it's a galactic cosmopolite world and same for hunger games. If you pay attention to what I wrote I'm pretty sure you would agree with me and it has nothing to do with "racism".

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
IDK, I mean I dont watch ads but sure Ill take your word for it [Roll Eyes]

There are'nt really a lot of movies about North Africa tbh. Sad really, considering its rich history and classical connection.

quote:
quote:

Here we're more numerous than blacks yet we're never represented in any media even the movies based on true stories that involved north africans all of them got replaced by black actors. And without even exaggerating I think we've reached a point where you see more blacks/mulattoes on screen than whites especially in the advertisement field. I wouldn't care if we were at least also represented but now they even managed to do this with LOTR.

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
My comment was'nt directed at you but the homophobic/transphobic garbage human and others like him in that picture you posted.

Fact is these same people were bitching about Star Wars, and The Hunger Games even when the damn books says the character with Dark Brown skin.

I mean if its just inserting a black elf in the show just to meet a quota then sure its silly, but maybe the show explains it, maybe she plays the elf role really good who knows...its fiction at eh end of the day...who cares.

But that's the problem actually they said they knew it would have bothered some but now they have to be inclusive and all that diversity quotas thing so no there are no explanations they just pretend we're somewhat colorblind when we watch a fictional show. Like I said if there was an explanation like these are humans coming from umbar or harad I'd have had absolutely not a single problem with black actors being present in this show and also I didn't imply anything in regards to their acting skills.

I care because like I said it breaks the coherence of the whole thing. I want to be immersed in one of my favorite fictional world with something that makes sense and that isn't about politics/diversity or whatever but it seems now we can't escape this it will be in all the upcoming shows.

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Its not like this black elf is going to ruin Tolkens work or anything, its probably going to be forgotten in a year or two and the next LOTR will have an all white cast again.

The Northmen movie as far as I know had an all white cast, and made Millions world wide, but people bitching about a sinle Jarl on a small screen TV show...yet no outcry about European cast Hebrews and Egyptians as recent as 2014 and 2016 on the Big Screen... [Roll Eyes]

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
You act like you have to watch this show to be immersed in the LOTR universe. I can't stand the Harry Potter movies and the people they cast as the characters, I saw like 20 minutes of the first movie and turned it off, Ive never watched or entertained any thing from HP except the books ever since.

If you dont like it just don't watch it...as far as I can tell the new LOTR project isn't even Cannon...

quote:
quote:

But that's the problem actually they said they knew it would have bothered some but now they have to be inclusive and all that diversity quotas thing so no there are no explanations they just pretend we're somewhat colorblind when we watch a fictional show. Like I said if there was an explanation like these are humans coming from umbar or harad I'd have had absolutely not a single problem with black actors being present in this show and also I didn't imply anything in regards to their acting skills.

I care because like I said it breaks the coherence of the whole thing. I want to be immersed in one of my favorite fictional world with something that makes sense and that isn't about politics/diversity or whatever but it seems now we can't escape this it will be in all the upcoming shows.

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Its not like this black elf is going to ruin Tolkens work or anything, its probably going to be forgotten in a year or two and the next LOTR will have an all white cast again.

idk how do you want to take this seriously when you have nordic looking elves then suddenly this :

-

+ in the works of tolkien there are no mention of black or dark skinned elves and no i do not believe in an all white cast for any movie/serie that era is over which isn't necessarily a bad thing but they should at least represent other minorities like latinos, east asians, arabs, indians, etc

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-: The Northmen movie as far as I know had an all white cast, and made Millions world wide, but people bitching about a sinle Jarl on a small screen TV show...yet no outcry about European cast Hebrews and Egyptians as recent as 2014 and 2016 on the Big Screen... [Roll Eyes] [/QB]
in the case of vikings it's not the first time actually I mean come on they literally manage to put blacks in the most nordic and whitest civilization you can get lmao don't you find this weird ? They could have taken something less extreme like a south european or arab but no they only take blacks.

As for europeans as hebrews/egyptians it's of course problematic but admit that it's less extreme than using blacks or east asians for these two groups so I can understand why it's less shocking.

If I use north african actors to play historical indian characters it would be less shocking than if I use the same actors for historical black figures no ?

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
[QB] You act like you have to watch this show to be immersed in the LOTR universe. I can't stand the Harry Potter movies and the people they cast as the characters, I saw like 20 minutes of the first movie and turned it off, Ive never watched or entertained any thing from HP except the books ever since.

If you dont like it just don't watch it...as far as I can tell the new LOTR project isn't even Cannon...

True but you at least understand the deception and why it's tiresome to always end up with this results (they did the same thing with the witcher show). The way blacks are used in the western world is sad tbh they are treated like exotic objects used to fill their quotas or to be line with some ideologies they are only seen through their skin color.
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Like I said this series is not even cannon, the original 3 movies and the Hobbit movies are. If the fans are as upset as you say then it will fail and Im sure in the future will cast LOTR movies with an all white cast
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
True, I always thought it would make an interesting movie/TV series set in Ancient Nubia or Axum or something set in Classical North Africa with a Berber Cast.

Hollywood is void of Ideas and creativity, I think the diversity quotas is just them being lazy tbh.
quote:
quote:
[QB] You act like you have to watch this show to be immersed in the LOTR universe. I can't stand the Harry Potter movies and the people they cast as the characters, I saw like 20 minutes of the first movie and turned it off, Ive never watched or entertained any thing from HP except the books ever since.

True but you at least understand the deception and why it's tiresome to always end up with this results (they did the same thing with the witcher show). The way blacks are used in the western world is sad tbh they are treated like exotic objects used to fill their quotas or to be line with some ideologies they are only seen through their skin color.

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I don't see it, maybe it's a regional thing.
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
I remember there was once a film named The 13th Warrior where they cast Antonio Banderas as the Arab traveller and chronicler Ahmad ibn Fadlan who tells about his meeting with Rus (most probably Scandinavians) at the Volga river in todays Russia.

Some people wondered if they could not have found an Arabic actor for the role.

-
The 13th Warrior

--------------------

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tbh us Black people have no damn business playing some Vikings. Let them have it. *shrugs*
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
Tbh us Black people have no damn business playing some Vikings. Let them have it. *shrugs*

Askia the vikings had Black inside them [Big Grin]

All this talk about europeans got me spinning...

so I decide to post one of mike111 example of a Black inside europe all this for the vikings and the cleopatra people

-

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
also this european male looking decidedly Black African

-

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some Black people must have very low self-esteem to want to claim a group of savages(no offense to the group of Europeans who descend from them) that went around raiding, pillaging and raping different groups of cultures.
https://www.grunge.com/139792/the-most-disturbing-thing-about-viking-raids-isnt-what-you-think/

But do yall...

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:

I care. We have no business playing no damn Vikings. Then worse Black Americans get the blame...

Now LOTR, GOT, etc are fictional and are a DIFFERENT story.

KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
just to add more fire and salt to the idea

of Black Vikings this is another staple of europe that looks Black

-

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
The oldest European Homo sapiens, can be the one whose remains are found in Grotte Mandrin, in Southern France.

quote:
Our direct ancestors, Homo sapiens, may have ventured into Neanderthal territory in Europe much earlier than previously thought, according to an archaeological study published this week. Researchers also believe that Neanderthals and Homo sapiens may have alternately shared territory in southeastern France.
-
The latest research, by a team of archaeologists and palaeoanthropologists led by Ludovic Slimak of Toulouse University, pushes the arrival time of Homo sapiens in western Europe to around 54,000 years ago.

French cave findings suggest Europe’s first Homo sapiens arrived earlier than thought

Other old Europeans are the ones in Bacho Kiro cave in Bulgaria which are about 45 000 years old.

quote:
An international research team has sequenced the genomes of the oldest securely dated modern humans in Europe who lived around 45,000 years ago in Bacho Kiro Cave, Bulgaria. By comparing their genomes to the genomes of people who lived later in Europe and in Asia the researchers from the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, show that this early human group in Europe contributed genes to later people, particularly present-day East Asians. The researchers also identified large stretches of Neandertal DNA in the genomes of the Bacho Kiro Cave people, showing that they had Neandertal ancestors about five to seven generations back in their family histories. This suggests that mixture with Neandertals was the rule rather than the exception when the first modern humans arrived in Europe.
Genomes of the earliest Europeans - Max-Plank-Gesellschaft

-
The Initial Upper Paleolithic individuals from Bacho Kiro were closer to the Tianyuan man, and to modern-day Asians and Native Americans, than to Europeans or Africans.

The so called Grimaldi man is younger

quote:
Grimaldi man is the name formerly given to two human skeletons of the Upper Paleolithic discovered in Italy in 1901. The remains are now recognized as representing two individuals, and are dated to ca. 26,000 to 22,000 years ago (i.e. c. 24000–20000 BC) and classified as part of the wider Early European modern humans population of the late Aurignacian to early Gravettian.
Grimaldi man - Wikipedia

But it is a long time between these early humans and the vikings who lived around 750 - 1070 AD. In the meantime many demographic changes took place.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Archeopteryx:
The oldest European Homo sapiens, can be the one whose remains are found in Grotte Mandrin, in Southern France.

there were no human remains found there, only flint tools

However Vikings are much more recent

skulls pictured in that article:
A March 17, 2010 photo shows the skull of the Homo Sapiens (Cro-Magnon 1, about 30,000 years old)
(R) from Cro-Magnon, France and the Homo Neanderthalensis (L) (La Ferrassie 1) from La Ferrassie Rock Shelter, France on display at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC. (AFP PHOTO/Mandel NGAN)

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/by-virginie-montet-a-march-17-2010-photo-shows-the-skull-of-news-photo/97803318?adppopup=true

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
They found one tooth that was attributed to modern Homo sapiens (and other teeth attributed to Neanderthals).

-
Tooth from the Mandrin cave assessed to be from modern Homo sapiens

quote:
We determined that layer E, which contains the modern human fossil, dates to 56.8 ka to 51.7 ka cal. B.P. (95.4% prob.; see Materials and Methods; figs. S15 to S20 and tables S1 to S10), suggesting that this individual is substantially earlier than any previously documented modern human remains or potential transitional archeological assemblages in Europe, and penecontemporaneous with, if not older than, the Manot 1 calvaria from Israel (6).
Slimak, S et al, 2022: ´Modern human incursion into Neanderthal territories 54,000 years ago at Mandrin, France´
Science Advances Vol 8, No 6
Link to article

--------------------

Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
But as I pointed out earlier, the viking age are many, many millennia later, and many demographic changes took place between these early humans and the viking age.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com