EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The collection of Egyptian scribes.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The collection of Egyptian scribes.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For awhile I have tried to find out who this scribe is, shown repeatedly on websites.

-

-

-

http://musee.louvre.fr/oal/scribe/indexEN.html

quote:
Almost everyone has seen this image of the Seated Scribe. Located on the upper floor of the Department of Egyptian Antiquities, this is the most famous of unknown figures. We know nothing about the person portrayed: neither his name, nor title, nor even the exact period during which he lived. Nevertheless, this statue never fails to impress visitors discovering it for the first time.

A specific posture

The Louvre's scribe, known as the "Seated Scribe", is indeed sitting cross-legged, his right leg crossed in front of his left. The white kilt, stretched over his knees, serves as a support. He is holding a partially rolled papyrus scroll in his left hand. His right hand must have held a brush, now missing. The most striking aspect of this sculpture is the face, particularly the elaborately inlaid eyes: they consist of a piece of red-veined white magnesite, in which a piece of slightly truncated rock crystal was placed. The front part of the crystal was carefully polished. The back side was covered with a layer of organic material, creating the color of the iris and also probably serving as an adhesive. The entire eye was then held in the socket by two large copper clips welded on the back. A line of black paint defines the eyebrows. The hands, fingers, and fingernails are sculpted with a remarkable delicacy. His chest is broad and the nipples are marked by two wooden dowels. The statue was cleaned in 1998, although the process merely reduced the wax overpainting. This restoration brought out the well-conserved ancient polychromy.

An unknown figure

The semicircular base on which the figure sits must have originally fit into a larger base that carried his name and titles, such as the base for the statue of Prince Setka, exhibited in room 22 of the Louvre. This base is missing, and the context of the discovery does not provide any additional information. According to the archeologist Auguste Mariette, who found the work, the statue of the scribe was apparently discovered in Saqqara on 19 November 1850, to the north of the Serapeum's line of sphinxes. But the precise location is not known; unfortunately, the documents concerning these excavations were published posthumously, the excavation journals had been lost, and the archives were scattered between France and Egypt. Furthermore, the site had been pillaged and ransacked, and no information concerning the figure's identity could be provided. Some historians have tried to link it to one of the owners of the statues discovered at the same time. The most convincing of these associates the scribe to Pehernefer. Certain stylistic criteria, such as the thin lips, which was unusual, the form of the torso, and the broad chest could support this theory. The statue of Pehernefer dates from the 4th Dynasty. This is an additional argument in favor of an earlier dating for this statue, which has sometimes been dated to the 6th Dynasty. Another argument supporting this date is that "writing" scribes were mostly created in the 4th and early 5th Dynasties; after this period, most scribes were portrayed in "reading" poses.

A scribe at work

The scribe is portrayed at work, which is unusual in Egyptian statuary. Although no king was ever portrayed in this pose, it seems that it was originally used for members of the royal family, such as the king's sons or grandsons, as was the case for the sons of Didufri (4th Dynasty), who were represented in this position.

Bibliography

Bouquillon Anne, "La couleur et les pigments", in Techne 4, 1996, p. 55, fig. 6.

Catalogue, L'Art égyptien au temps des pyramides, Paris, 1999,
pp. 383-384.

Ziegler Christiane, Le Scribe "accroupi", collection solo (21), Paris, 2002.

Ziegler Christiane, Musée du Louvre, Département des Antiquités égyptiennes, Les Statues égyptiennes de l'Ancien Empire, Paris 1997, n 58, pp. 204-208.

http://www.louvre.fr/en/oeuvre-notices/seated-scribe
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scribe Statue of Amunhotep, Son of Nebiry.

-

quote:

The Egyptians valued learning and literacy above all other skills, including physical strength and military prowess. Egyptian men who mastered reading and writing were frequently represented as scribes: sitting cross-legged with inscribed papyrus rolls in their laps. Some examples, such as this one, show the subject with his head gently inclined as if reading the papyrus.

So-called scribe statues were first produced in Dynasty 4 (circa 2625–2500 B.C.). Originally only princes were permitted to appear in this form, but as access to schooling increased over time, scribe statues became relatively common. The subject of this sculpture, a man named Amunhotep, held several priestly and administrative offices.

Medium: Limestone

Place Made: Thebes, Egypt
Dates: ca. 1426-1400 B.C.E.
Dynasty: XVIII Dynasty
Period: New Kingdom
Dimensions: 26 x 13 3/16 x 14 13/16 in. (66 x 33.5 x 37.6 cm) (show scale)

Collections:Egyptian, Classical, Ancient Near Eastern Art
Museum Location: This item is on view in Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity, Egyptian Orientation Gallery, 3rd Floor

Exhibitions:

Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity (On view since April 12, 2003)
Accession Number: 37.29E

Credit Line: Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund
Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY

Caption: Scribe Statue of Amunhotep, Son of Nebiry, ca. 1426-1400 B.C.E. Limestone, 26 x 13 3/16 x 14 13/16 in. (66 x 33.5 x 37.6 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund, 37.29E. Creative Commons-BY

Image: front, 37.29E_front_SL1.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph

Catalogue Description: Pale cream-colored limestone squatting sread more...

Record Completeness: Best (92%)

https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/objects/3940/Scribe_Statue_of_Amunhotep_Son_of_Nebiry/image/8719/image
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

quote:
Seated Statuette of Si-Hathor

This statuette combines the seated image of the deceased with the base where the inscription would normally be carved. Here, the artist carved the offering prayer directly onto Si-Hathor’s garment, a solution that saved on the amount of stone to be purchased.

Medium: Limestone, painted
Reportedly From: Thebes, Egypt
Dates: ca. 1818-1630 B.C.E.
Dynasty: late XII Dynasty-early XIII Dynasty
Period: Middle Kingdom

Dimensions: 10 1/4 x 6 x 7 5/8 in. (26 x 15.2 x 19.4 cm) (show scale)

Collections:Egyptian, Classical, Ancient Near Eastern Art
Museum Location: This item is on view in Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity, Old Kingdom to 18th Dynasty, Egyptian Galleries, 3rd Floor

Exhibitions:

To Live Forever: Art and the Afterlife in Ancient Egypt (February 12, 2010 through May 2, 2010)

Egypt Reborn: Art for Eternity (On view since April 12, 2003)
Accession Number: 37.97E

Credit Line: Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund
Rights Statement: Creative Commons-BY
Caption: Seated Statuette of Si-Hathor, ca. 1818-1630 B.C.E. Limestone, painted, 10 1/4 x 6 x 7 5/8 in. (26 x 15.2 x 19.4 cm). Brooklyn Museum, Charles Edwin Wilbour Fund, 37.97E.

Creative Commons-BY

Image: front, 37.97E_front_PS2.jpg. Brooklyn Museum
photograph, 2006

Catalogue Description: Limestone statue of a man named Sa-Hathor represented squatting, on a round-backed base. He wears a long skirt which envelops his legs. This statue has been described as a “scribe” statue. On the portion of the skirt covering the lap and between the two hands which rest palms down on the thighs is an inscription. The figure wears a heavy wig once painted black. Black also are the base and the details of the eyes; the skin is reddish brown; the garment is white. Within the plain-incised signs of the inscription are the remains of blue frit inlays. The eyebrows are modelled and not in relief; the eyebrows are also somewhat arched, and the eyes are heavily outlined in black. The nipples are executed in relief. The head is titled slightly upwards. Inscription on Skirt: Ns’w di htp Skr-Ws;r ntr ‘; nb ;bdw di.f prt-hrw t hnkt ihw ;pdw n k; n im;hy S;-Hthr iri n ‘nhw msi n ddt-nbw Condition: Base chipped on right side; superficial chips from body and hands. Paint well-preserved on entire body except top of wig and left arm.
Record Completeness: Best (92%)

https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/objects/3963/Seated_Statuette_of_Si-Hathor/image/8224/image
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol # Ish Gebor:
For awhile I have tried to find out who this scribe is, shown repeatedly on websites.

-

Some historians have tried to link it to one of the owners of the statues discovered at the same time. The most convincing of these associates the scribe to Pehernefer. Certain stylistic criteria, such as the thin lips, which was unusual, the form of the torso, and the broad chest could support this theory. The statue of Pehernefer dates from the 4th Dynasty. This is an additional argument in favor of an earlier dating for this statue, which has sometimes been dated to the 6th Dynasty. Another argument supporting this date is that "writing" scribes were mostly created in the 4th and early 5th Dynasties; after this period, most scribes were portrayed in "reading" poses.

-

The chief of butchers, Pehernefer,
statue from Saqqara, Detail,
Egyptian civilization, Old Kingdom, Dynasty IV

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a fake.

[ 06. May 2015, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: ausar ]

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clyde do you have to copy the whole post? How about just one picture and your comment

Also "I think this is fake" with no explanation carries no weight

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
quote:

quote:
I think this is a fake.

Why do you think it's fake? Because it's unknown or some other reason...?

I have posted picture so we can see his nasal region.

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
I think this is a fake.

-

He looks too European.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
I think this is a fake.

-

He looks too European.

Like his facial traits? What I noticed is that his nasal region. And he has slight maxilla prognathism.

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

Egyptian Scribes

By The Oriental Institute

Foy Scalf, Ph.D. candidate in Egyptology at the University of Chicago and Head of the Oriental Institute Research Archives, talks about who Egyptian scribes were and what their work was like.

This video was made for the Oriental Institute Museum special exhibit "Visible Language: Inventions of Writing in the Ancient Middle East" which runs from September 28, 2010 through March 6, 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuzoE0qod9g

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Troll Patrol's theory is that the black and white race can be distinguished by nostril opening shape.

Assuming that the sculptures are accurate the theory is that the black man's nostril opening is round
while the whiteman's nostril opening shape is more slit like or cashew shaped

-

However I wonder what this man's nostril opening shape is. It's hard to tell. It looks at this angle, like it's probably rather oblong

Whole his lips are thin like the scribe he may have a non-round nostril shape

We will have to see more examples at better angles to see if Troll Patroll's race by nostril opening shape is solid methodology

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Now he says this, not in the initial post

Troll Patrol's theory is that the black and white race can be distinguished by nostril opening shape.

Assuming that the sculptures are accurate the theory is that the black man's nostril opening is round
while the white man's nostril opening shape is more slit like or cashew shaped

-

However I wonder what this man's nostril opening shape is. It's hard to tell. It looks at this angle like it's probably oblong

While his lips are thin like the scribe
he may have a non-round nostril shape

We will have to see more examples at better angles to see if Troll Patroll's race by nostril opening shape is solid methodology

The man above has a large "semitic" type nose that points downward. It is unlike the scribe's nose which is more moderately sized and doesn't point down

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

while the whiteman's nostril opening shape is more slit like or cashew shaped

-

However I wonder what this man's nostril opening shape is. It's hard to tell. It looks at this angle, like it's probably rather oblong

Whole his lips are thin like the scribe he may have a non-round nostril shape

It's not my theory. It was whites who bolstered caucasoid theories. This now bites you back and you cry. [Big Grin]

Therefore your race rant is ridiculous, in biodiversity the nose shape, nostril opening shape, is typically nuclear African. So is the maxillary prognathism. It was noticed years ago by The Explorer and others. When they already told you about this trait. [Big Grin]

I know how you feel about "your white purity", and hide behind the word black. But these traits aren't typical for whites like you. It was you who segregated cranium, hair texture, color complexion and other "race theories" which you've supported over the many years in your deconstruction to win a debate. Now you rant about "nostril opening shape", how it is racist and unfair to whites. [Big Grin]

Now, the reason why I know what kind of nostril shape he has is because I have been to that region. Whereas you haven't. I know what the people look like and what kind of traits they carry. And if he has a "Semitic" type of nose as you said, then a lot of my family members do so, including myself. No wonder they looked at me as indigenous when I was over there. [Big Grin]

So, you're now saying that this is what Semites look/ looked like. Cool. [Big Grin]

There goes your Rames II caucasoid theory out of the window.

The more you type the more you reveal yourself, imposter African American. [Big Grin]

Next thing you're going to do is scan the Internet, to show white diversity then picture spam the forum. As if you will make a point. While local people right there at the spot carry these traits, you will reject them as the progenitors. This is what you always have done. [Big Grin]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

quote:

if he has a "Semitic" type of nose as you said, then a lot of my family members do so, including myself. No wonder they looked at me as indigenous when I was over there. [Big Grin]

the scribe doesn't have a semitic nose

but the turbaned man you posted does. It's large and the tip points down

therefore we need to see this type of nose at another angle so we can see the nasal opening region and see about your race by nostril theory

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

quote:

if he has a "Semitic" type of nose as you said, then a lot of my family members do so, including myself. No wonder they looked at me as indigenous when I was over there. [Big Grin]

the scribe doesn't have a semitic nose

but the turbaned man you posted does. It's large and the tip points down

therefore we need to see this type of nose at another angle so we can see the nasal opening region and see about your race by nostril theory

I never stated that the scribe has a Semitic nose. From where did you get that? [Big Grin]

Again it's not my "race by nostril theory". It was bolstered by whites like you. Now you blame me, typical eurocentrism.

What I have noticed, after the Explorer and other mentioned this, is that this trait is in Africans. It's racialist white scholars who made segregations on African terms. And you have supported this ideology for as long as I know.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Anyway, back to the original topic.

According to the white surprimacist website; march of the titans: this scribe is a white man.

He too is unknown, or at least I have not found any valid source telling about him.

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Then we have Egyptian scribe by name of Mitri, who is a white male too, according to the white surprimacist website; march of the titans.

-

-

The Egyptian Museum: Floor 1 Hall 32

Material : Wood with Painted Stucco
Width : 50 CM Height : 76 CM
Found in : Saqqara , Mastaba of Mitri (l925-l926)
Period : The Old Kingdom
Dynasty: VI
Belonged_to: MITRI

Excavation : The Antlquities Service

Mitri was one of the prominent figures in the 6th Dynasty who acquired numerous positions as depicted on the base of this statue including: Administrator of the Nome and Great One of the ten of Upper Egypt and Priest of Maat.

This statue of Mitri as a scribe was found in his tomb in Saqqara among other statues for him and his wife in various positions . This wood with painted stucco is used to indicate the intellectual abilities of the deceased although he did not occupy that post.

Mitri is depicted in the customary posture of the scribe in ancient Egypt with crossed legs and a papyrus role on his lap. The eyes are set in limestone and transparent stone and ringed with copper attract the attention of the observer to Mitri's calm gaze and become the focal point of the whole sculpture. The body is colored with dark ocher color and the monotony of the color is broken by the colorful necklace around his neck.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:
I think this is a fake.

-

He looks too European.

I took a look into the history of the finder of the scribe, Auguste Mariette.

I present to you ... A World History of Nineteenth-Century Archaeology, Nationalism, Colonialism, and the Past

quote:

(Fagan 1975: 252–3).

The antiquities market was also promoted by the appearance of a new type of European in Egypt. They were tourists helped, from 1830, by the publication of tourist guides starting with one in French and followed by others published in English and German (Reid 2002: ch. 2).

quote:

Auguste Mariette

Change would only come with the advent of the French archaeologist Auguste Mariette (1821–81). Mariette’s Wrst visit to Egypt took place in his role of an agent with the remit of obtaining antiquities for the Louvre. In 1850–1 he
The equivalent Wgure in Egypt would be Rifaa RaWi al-Tahtawi, but in this case the Powers’ greater control over Egyptian politics and, therefore, archaeology did not allow this Egyptian native archae- ologist to protect national archaeology as against the interest of the Euro- peans. His attempts were curtailed by Europeans such as August Mariette, who in his time as head of the Antiquities Service in Egypt did not allow local Egyptologists to work in the service. Moreover, these diYculties continued after his death.

excavated the Serapeum at Sakkara, providing the Louvre with a large collec- tion of objects. He returned to Egypt in 1857 to assemble a collection of antiquities to be presented as a gift to ‘Prince Napoleon’—Napoleon III’ cousin—during his planned (but never undertaken) visit to Egypt. Before Mariette returned to France in 1858 a good friend of the pasha, the French engineer Ferdinand de Lesseps (the builder of the Suez Canal between 1859 and 1869), convinced him to appoint Mariette as ‘Maamour’, director of Egyptian Antiquities, and put him in charge of a resurrected Antiquities Service.

He was given funds to allow him ‘to clear and restore the temple ruins, to collect stelae, statues, amulets and any easily transportable objects wherever these were to be found, in order to secure them against the greed of the local peasants or the covetousness of Europeans’ (in Vercoutter 1992: 106). Mariette saw the beginning of a period of about ninety-four years of predominance of French archaeology over Egyptology, lasting even during much of the ‘temporary’ British military occupation of Egypt from 1882 (Fagan 1975; Reid 2002: chs. 3–5; Vercoutter 1992).

Mariette managed to set up a museum in 1863 and to slow down the pace at which Egyptian monuments were being destroyed, partly by forbidding all archaeological Weldwork other than his own. To a certain extent he was also able to hold back the export of antiquities. In 1859 the news of a discovery of the intact sarcophagus of Queen A-hetep and the seizure of all Wndings by the local governor required Mariette’s strong intervention to stop this illegal appropriation of archaeological objects. The resulting treasure was presented to the pasha and included a gift of a scarab and a necklace for one of his wives. The pasha’s delight at both the Wndings—as well as, and as Fagan points out (1975: 281), at the discomWture of his governor,—led him to order the building of a new museum, which would eventually be opened at the suburb of Bulaq in Cairo.

quote:
In Egypt he excavated several sites at the Delta. InXuenced by the eugenics theories of Galton (Chapter 13), Petrie interpreted the presence of imported Greek pottery as proof of European and Middle Eastern racial contact and conquest in antiquity and published his ideas in his book Racial Types from Egypt (1887) (Silberman 1999b: 72–3).
quote:
Theories on racial inequality became extremely popular and later in the century would be the basis for a racial doctrine known as ‘eugenics’, which would be in favour until the Second World War. The followers of eugenics believed in the racial diVerences of human groups and advocated intervention to improve races in aspects such as intelligence (Barkan 1992; MacMaster 2001: ch. 1; Massin 2001; Shipman 2004).
quote:
The analysis of how this continued in the early decades of the twentieth century has been partly impeded, in some countries, by an unwillingness to accept that the belief in racism and its oVshoot, eugenics, which was widespread at this time (Barkan 1992), could have aVected the study of the past in other countries than Germany and, perhaps, Italy. Equally needing analysis is the extent to which some early twentieth-century archae- ologists may have become part of the Wght against the manipulative and speculative hypotheses that had Xourished in the name of science.
--MARGARITA DI ́AZ-ANDREU

A World History of Nineteenth-Century Archaeology
Nationalism, Colonialism, and the Past

http://s3.amazonaws.com/BronzeAge/A%20World%20History%20of%20Nineteenth-Century%20Archaeology%20Nationalism,%20Colonialism,%20and%20the%20Past.pdf

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
I think this is a fake.

Part 2, my quest...

quote:
Abstract – Nineteen skulls from el-Assasif, part of the necropolis of ancient Thebes, Egypt were examined from the anthropological collection of Musée de l’Homme in Paris. The skulls were gath- ered by Auguste Mariette and Prisse d’Avennes in the 19th century and are dated to the XVIIIth and XXIInd Dynasties. Individual craniometric data and indices are presented. The sample contains 4 infant and 2 juvenile crania, women mostly died in adultus, men in maturus age. In the taxonomic examination morphological and cluster analysis show that out of 6 male crania 5 exhibit similarities with samples of Nubian origin, and one cranium has Europid characteristics. High occurrence of ac- cessory sutures indicates periods of starvation. Pathological phenomena as traumatic injuries, cribra orbitalia, porotic hyperostosis, parietal osteodystrophy and a case with multiple cranial osteolytic lesions are described. The lamina cribrosa and/or the foramen magnum were broken only in a small portion of the cases marking the procedures of mummification. The low number of cases and the un- representative nature of the sample do not allow comprehensive conclusions, although the published data can contribute to the establishment of the demography and to the assessment of health condi- tions of the population represented in the necropolis of ancient Thebes.

[...]

As it is indicated in Table 2, crania from el-Assasif originate from the collec- tions of Auguste Mariette and Prisse d’Avennes.
Auguste Mariette (1821–1881), a French Egyptologist, who was appointed as director of the Egyptian Antiquities Service in 1858 by Said Pasha, the Ottoman viceroy of Egypt, orchestrated several archaeological excavations throughout Egypt from Giza to Elephantine including the Theban necropolis (Vercoutter 1986: 100–111). At his extensive excavations Mariette employed local reises (su- pervisor of workmen), European adventurers and amateur archaeologists as overseers of field-work, whose working methods and accuracy of documentation do not comply with the demands of modern archaeology (Raven 1991, Reid 2002: 101).

[...]

Mariette in his guidebook of the three Egyptian pavilions of the Egyptian park provides a detailed description about the room of anthropology: he mentions 500 Egyptian mummy skulls arranged by chronological order and by provenance and six bandaged mummies in their sarcophagi (Mariette 1867: V–VI, 95, 99). The anthropological room was not freely accessible, special per- mission was necessary from the secretary-general of the Société d’Anthropologie de Paris, who was at that time Paul Broca, the neuroanatomist, definer of the Broca’s area (Broca 1866, Mariette 1867: 99). Paul Broca, on the seance of 4 October 1866 of the Société d’Anthropologie, when he announced that the Anthropological Society was commissioned by the Egyptian authorities to organise an Egyptian craniological exhibition in the world’s fair of the following year, specifies that the skulls for the exposition will be provided by Auguste Mariette, who possesses 250 crania, but who promised to augment the number of skulls to 500 by mak- ing mummy heads collected in hypogea (Broca 1866). The date 1867 marked on skulls from the collection of Mariette (Table 2) probably indicates that the mummy heads were donated to France by Ismail Pasha for the occasion of the universal exhibition of 1867.

[...]

Prisse d’Avennes (1807–1879) the French counterpart of David Roberts, was an engineer-architect and artist, who devoted his life to draw and record the an- cient and islamic monuments of Egypt (Blottière 1991, Dawson & Uphill 1995: 343–344). He spent several years in Luxor, once between 1839–1844 when he found accommodation in one of the rear rooms of the temple of Karnak and in the tomb of Ahmose (TT 83) on the west bank; later, in 1860 he conducted archaeological excavations in Medinet Habu with the permission of Auguste Mariette (Raven 1991).

The Musée de l’Homme possesses a letter of Prisse d’Avennes which he wrote to Monsieur de Quatrefages, head of the Department of Anthropology and Ethnology of the Muséum national d’Histoire naturelle in Paris, one month after he finally left Egypt for France in June 1860 (Raven 1991). In his letter (Fig. 2) he offers his collection of 29 Egyptian skulls with an annexed catalogue to M. de Quatrefages, and assures him that for the sake of scientific comparison he will put at his disposal his drawings portraying ancient Egyptians copied from historic monuments, as soon as he will have finished putting his plates in order for his album. The complete letter is disclosed below:

Paris, 10 Juillet 1860.

Monsieur,

Je m’empresse de vous adresser le catalogue des crânes contenus dans la caisse confiée dernièrement aux soins du Consul général de France en Egypte, pour vous être expédiés au Muséum.

Cette récolte n’est pas aussi abondante que je l’espérais. D’abord parce que les hypogées commencent à s’épuiser, puis parce que la plupart des momies sont mutilées, détruites ou tellement brûlées par la préparation que les crânes se disloquent aussitôt qu’on les enlève des bandelettes qui les contiennent. A Thèbes, un gouverneur de la province, irrité des profanations qui se commettaient journellement, a fait réunir un grand nombre de momies et a fait mettre le feu à tous ces débris humains qu’on fou- lait sans respect; La grotte de Samoûn [located at modern Al Maabdah, North of Assyut] elle même, ce vaste charnier de l’heptanomide, est tellement ravagée par les Touristes qu’on a peine aujourd’hui à y trouver quelques pièces intactes et que je n’ai pu en rapporter qu’une seule tête;

J’ai commencé dans la nécropole de Memphis une collection de têtes contempo- raines des Pyramides. Un de mes amis, employé aux fouilles du Pacha m’a promis de compléter cette caisse et de me l’expédier aussitôt.

Dès que j’aurai mis mes papiers en ordre, je m’empresserai, Monsieur, de vous porter quelques estampages pris sur des monuments de diverses époques; Ils vous per- mettront de comparer les têtes de momies avec les représentations figurées et de vous former une idée complète de la Race qui a civilisé la vallée d’Egypte.

Tout ce qu’on a écrit sur ce sujet laisse encore beaucoup à désirer, surtout sous le rapport de la représentation des types sculptés ou peints sur les édifices qui ont toujo- urs été très mal reproduis.

Puis, on n’a guère mis à contribution que les monuments du nouveau royaume, tandis que pour avoir des renseignements précis, il aurait fallu puiser aux sources primitives, aux monuments des premières dynasties. Quand vous vous occuperez de a race égyptienne, je mettrai à votre disposition des dessins, des calques et des estam- pages dont je ne puis me départir avant d’avoir réglé l’ordonnance des planches de mon livre sur l’art égyptien.

Pardonnez-moi Monsieur de n’avoir pu faire davantage pour vos recherches auxquelles personne ne s’intéresse plus que moi, et veuillez agréer l’assurance de ma considération la plus distinguée.

Prisse D’Avennes
(23, rue Mayer)

Museum d’Histoire Naturelle
Caisse contenant 20 crânes recueillis en Egypte, par Prisse D’Avennes.
N° 1 – Crâne d’un Nègre du Soudan, mort à l’hôpital du Caire. Complet.
N° 2 – Crâne d’un Arabe de la Haute Egypte (Syout). Complet.
N° 3 – Crâne d’une hypogée de Sakkara de la 4° à la 6° dynastie.
N° 4 – Quatre têtes de momies de femmes provenant de la nécropole de Thèbes.
Epoque incertaine.

--Zs. Komáry1 & E. Fóthi2

Ancient Egyptian skulls from Thebes in the Anthropological Collection of the Natural History Museum of Paris. I. Skulls from el-Assasif

Annls hist.-nat. Mus. natn. hung. 105, 2013

http://publication.nhmus.hu/pdf/annHNHM/Annals_HNHM_2013_Vol_105_259.pdf

[ 06. May 2015, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: ausar ]

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He would be at home among modern black Egyptians.
Most of the samples are late period by looks of sampling table.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
where's more scribes? I thought this was a collection
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
where's more scribes? I thought this was a collection

No you'll need to add more, that's the intention. I got stagnated on the unknown scribe. I will add more, as I find room in my schedule.

I expected you to bomb this thread with ancient Egyptian scribes.

IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TP, please give your postings a break for now.

We all need to collectively resolve the issue of the unfair banning of Mike111.

No justice, no peace!

--------------------
Lionz

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
No you'll need to add more, that's the intention.,,,

I don't do set ups
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

I don't do set ups
How about requests?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't do set ups
How about requests?
It's too easy. You've been posting a lot you could easily do it
I'm tired

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't do set ups
How about requests?
It's too easy. You've been posting a lot you could easily do it
I'm tired

Good, that's great news.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Statue of Ptah-shepses

-

Present location PELIZAEUS-MUSEUM [04/030] HILDESHEIM
Inventory number 2141
Dating 6TH DYNASTY
Archaeological Site GIZA NECROPOLIS
Category STATUE
Material LIMESTONE; UNSPECIFIED
Technique SCULPTURED; PAINTED
Height 32.7 cm
Width 21.3 cm
Depth 15.5 cm

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Statue of the scribe Heti

-

The official Heti is seated cross-legged on a base. He holds an unrolled papyrus on his lap. His right hand once held his writing pen which is now lost. He wears a curly wig and a knee-length kilt with a belt. The figure is very lifelike because of its face and posture, and despite the unnatural position of the feet.

Present location PELIZAEUS-MUSEUM [04/030] HILDESHEIM
Inventory number 2407
Dating 6TH DYNASTY (not after); 5TH DYNASTY; 5TH DYNASTY (not before)
Archaeological Site GIZA NECROPOLIS
Category STATUE
Material LIMESTONE; UNSPECIFIED
Technique SCULPTURED; CARVED; PAINTED
Height 52.1 cm
Width 37.3 cm
Depth 26 cm

Mighty Mack
Member # 17601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mighty Mack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More, More and More! lol.
Posts: 535 | From: From the Darkest of the Abyss | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova:
He would be at home among modern black Egyptians.
Most of the samples are late period by looks of sampling table.

I took a look at table and presented data.

XVIIIth Dynasty.

Collector: A. Mariette; donation of Ismail Pasha, Khedive of Egypt.
quote:

Skulls of Negroid features are depicted on Figures 3–4, the cranium of Europid characteristics is shown on Figure 5.

We performed the comparative study with systematic cluster analysis (Fóthi & Fóthi 1992). The dendrogram on Figure 6 is based on data divid- ed by the error, the biological distance was calculated according to Penrose (1954), the cluster strategy applied was the dual sequential method. In our study we searched for analogues of skulls of el-Assasif, we did not analyse further cor- relations, hence in Table 10, which shows the distance matrix, we marked only the raw corresponding to the distance matrix of the sample of el-Assasif. As the dendrogram and the table of the distance matrix equally show the five male crania from el-Assasif exhibit similarities with samples of Nubian origin. The result of comparative analysis thus corresponds to the metric and morphologi- cal evaluation of skulls. However, distance data have high values – which feature can be explained by the high extent of deviation due to the low number of indi- viduals in the sample – the similarity with the four Nubian samples involved in the comparison is consistent, regardless of the method of distance calculation. Nevertheless the biological similarity with the four Nubian samples (Lower Nubian, Meroitic, 0–300 A. D.; Upper Nubian, Meroitic, 0–300 A. D.; Lower Nubian, X-Group, 300–500 A. D.; Upper Nubian, X-Group, 300–500 A. D.) neither signify direct ethnical or cultural relationship nor chronological simul- taneity. Instead, the analogy indicates the Nubian origin of the five males from el-Assasif in our sample.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Mack:
More, More and More! lol.

More is on the way:

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
 -
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job.

The ES archive is as good as anything on the net.

But what about the provence of the Thin Lips Scribe?

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

-

Some historians have tried to link it to one of the owners of the statues discovered at the same time. The most convincing of these associates the scribe to Pehernefer. Certain stylistic criteria, such as the thin lips, which was unusual, the form of the torso, and the broad chest could support this theory. The statue of Pehernefer dates from the 4th Dynasty. This is an additional argument in favor of an earlier dating for this statue, which has sometimes been dated to the 6th Dynasty. Another argument supporting this date is that "writing" scribes were mostly created in the 4th and early 5th Dynasties; after this period, most scribes were portrayed in "reading" poses.

-

The chief of butchers, Pehernefer,
statue from Saqqara, Detail,
Egyptian civilization, Old Kingdom, Dynasty IV

Here's the chief butcher

-

But check what the Louvre also says about the Scribe :
quote:

An unknown figure

The semicircular base on which the figure sits must have originally fit into a larger base that carried his name and titles, such as the base for the statue of Prince Setka, exhibited in room 22 of the Louvre. his base is missing, and the context of the discovery does not provide any additional information. According to the archeologist Auguste Mariette, who found the work, the statue of the scribe was apparently discovered in Saqqara on 19 November 1850, to the north of the Serapeum's line of sphinxes. But the precise location is not known; unfortunately, the documents concerning these excavations were published posthumously, the excavation journals had been lost, and the archives were scattered between France and Egypt. Furthermore, the site had been pillaged and ransacked, and no information concerning the figure's identity could be provided. Some historians have tried to link it to one of the owners of the statues discovered at the same time.

So I guess who knows who the guy is. Wait, hold on. 😱 Who's that in the pavilion?

-

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com