EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » @ Djehuti, on ancient Indian culture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: @ Djehuti, on ancient Indian culture
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was originally going to PM you this, but your inbox is full. But anyway, the question I want to ask is...what do you know about gender roles in ancient Indian cultures? I am referring specifically to those of the Harappan (or Indus Valley Civilization) and early Vedic periods.

I ask because I've thought back to an old story concept I developed about three years ago. It was going to be based on the Hindu Ramayana, but modified so that it would take place during the Harappan/Vedic Period transition. The protagonists Rama, Sita, and Laksmana would be native Harappans whereas Ravana and his crew would represent Aryan invaders who have seized control of a native city. Hanuman and his monkey army would be re-interpreted as a relict population of Gigantopithecus blacki, which were giant relatives of orangutans.

I'm not sure whether I should move forward with this idea, since the setup sounds an awful lot like one of those Hollywood "re-imaginings" that take old public-domain stories and then change them so much beyond recognition that they end up alienating audiences and bombing at the box office. On the other hand, I rather like the idea of a story being told about Harappan defenders against Aryan attackers.

Anyway, we know from the original story that Ravana abducted Sita and kept her as a trophy or prisoner. My re-interpretation was to have her start off as a warrior and huntress equal to her boo Rama in martial ability, making her all the more resentful when Ravana keeps her trapped in the role of a subservient stay-at-home trophy wife. The problem is, I have next to no idea how early Indo-Aryan societies would have treated women. Was it anything like how later Hinduism would treat women in a patriarchal way, or would it have started out as less oppressive? How oppressed should my Sita feel, exactly?

FWIW, I have noticed that Indus Valley depictions of women tend to have them showing off a lot more skin than the modern Indian sari allows. So maybe Sita under Ravana's watch would be forced to wear more clothing than she is comfortable with.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com