EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Abisha at Beni Hasan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abisha at Beni Hasan
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beni Hasan (also written as Bani Hasan, or also Beni-Hassan) (Arabic: بني حسن‎) is an Ancient Egyptian cemetery site. It is located approximately 20 kilometers to the south of modern-day Minya in the region known as Middle Egypt, the area between Asyut and Memphis.[1]
While there are some Old Kingdom burials at the site, it was primarily used during the Middle Kingdom, spanning the 21st to 17th centuries BCE (Middle Bronze Age).[2]
To the south of the cemetery is a temple constructed by Hatshepsut and Thutmose III, dedicated to the local goddess Pakhet.[3] It is known as the Cave of Artemis, because the Greeks identified Pakhet with Artemis, and the temple is subterranean.

An increasing threat to the Middle Kingdom was the Asiatic groups to the northeast. Texts from the Middle Kingdom include Asiatic names suggesting their presence in Egypt during the 12th dynasty.It has been proposed that they probably entered the country as nomadic pastoralists in parts of the eastern Delta or as workers attempting to flee famines. They traveled to Egypt in caravans; knowledge of this comes primarily from scenes in elite tombs. On the eastern end of the north wall there is a large-scale standing figure of Khnumhotep II receiving offerings primarily of several types of animals and birds. What makes this tomb stand out among the 39 large rock-cut tombs at Beni Hasan is the scene of nomadic traders bringing the deceased offerings; the Aamu group led by the Aamu leader, Absha.[21] Kathryn Bard interprets this man to be the chief of the group of foreigners, spelled Abisha or Abishai.[22] The west end of the wall has another large-scale figure of Khnumhotep II only here he is facing right and using a bow to hunt in the desert which is on the edge of the Egyptian world, the boundary between order and chaos. It has been interpreted that in this scene Khnumhotep II is assuming the role of the king dominating over the chaotic power of the desert.[23] The king can be identified with the god Horus and in which case the animals are seen as enemies of the gods and of Egypt.

Nomarch Amenemhet during the reign of Senworset I (1971-1926) which shows a fortress under siege and scenes of wrestlers. We also visited Tomb No. 13 of Khnumhotep II (which includes the scenes of Abishar, an Asiatic, coming to Egypt).
 -

-
LINK

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely Wikipedia page,

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beni_Hasan

The figures are considered ancient Bedawin from Syria.

It's also interesting to know what the ancient Syrians looked like. Perhaps they could be considered "the black Arabs"?

-

quote:
“The oldest evidence indicates the presence of Africans in the Red Sea coastal plain”

“Old South Arabian inscriptions and graffiti are in scripts of a South Semitic type, of which Ethiopic is the only present-day”

1).

Arabian peoples have been held to be related to a variety of groups, with homelands in almost all directions outside Arabia: the view that sought to visualize all Arabians as a single race has never been valid.

The oldest evidence indicates the presence of Africans in the Red Sea coastal plain, Iranians in the southeastern tip of the peninsula, and peoples of Aramaean stock in the north. The racial affinities of the ancient Yemeni peoples remain unsolved; the marked similarity of their culture to the Semitic cultures that arose in the Fertile Crescent to the north of the peninsula can be attributed to cultural spread rather than to immigration.

2).

a. In the north and centre the dominant linguistic form is Old North Arabian (subclassified into Lihyanic, Thamudic, and Safaitic); despite close connections between this group and Arabic, the latter cannot be regarded as lineally descended from it.

b. The Yemenite inscriptions are in Old South Arabian (subclassified into Minaean, Sabaean, Qatabanian, and Hadhramautic), which is a wholly independent group within the Semitic family of languages.(The Old North Arabian and Old South Arabian inscriptions and graffiti are in scripts of a South Semitic type, of which Ethiopic is the only present-day survivor; modern Arabic script is of a North Semitic type.)

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/31568/history-of-Arabia/45964/Pre-Islamic-Arabia-to-the-7th-Century-ad
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this Troll Patrol,

Was wondering why people don't question as much as you have questioned all these reports.

The world back in Ancient times was a Browner Place, We see this from the pics that were drawn of the Hebrews, Ancient Syrians AND Arabs.

The Egyptians probably figured that people would question who they were, so the documented the world as they saw it and di it without the egos of modern Europeans.

I would love to read more studies you come across about the Ancient ME people. It seems that what Ledamna is stating is a fact. The Tigray, Amhara were the Ancient Sabaeans and lifed in the coast of Ethiopia and yemen.

To me these people use to be ONE until the coming of the Northern Type.

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wiki:

The Sea Peoples, or Peoples of the Sea, is a term used to describe a confederacy of seafaring raiders who could have possibly originated from either western Anatolia or southern Europe, specifically a region of the Aegean Sea, who sailed around the eastern Mediterranean and invaded Anatolia, Syria, Canaan, Cyprus, and Egypt toward the end of the Bronze Age. The term is used by modern scholars to refer to nine groups of people, although in the historical inscriptions the designation "of the sea" (Egyptian: n3 ḫ3s.wt n<.t> p3 ym) appears only in relation to three (the Sherden, Shekelesh, and Eqwesh). The identity of the Sea Peoples has remained enigmatic and modern scholars have only the scattered records of ancient civilizations and archaeological analysis to inform them.

The nine groups identified as Sea Peoples by modern scholars are, in alphabetical order:

1) the Denyen, identified by some with the Greek Danaoi and by others with the Israelite tribe of Dan;

2) the Ekwesh, possibly a group of Bronze Age Greeks (Achaeans);

3) Lukka, an Anatolian people of the Aegean who may have given their name to the region of Lycia and the Lycian language;

4) the Peleset, whose name is generally believed to refer to the Philistines;

5) the Shekelesh, identified possibly with the Italic people called Siculi (from Sicily);

6) the Sherden, possibly Sardinians or people of Sardis;

7) the Teresh, i.e. the Tyrrhenians, possibly ancestors of the Etruscans;

8) the Tjeker, also known as the Sikil and possibly Greek Teucrians;

9) and the Weshesh.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PalaceInlays-NubiansPhilistineAmoriteSyrianAndHittite-Compilation-MuseumOfFineArtsBoston.png
 -

A compilation of the glass and faience inlays depicting the traditional enemies of Ancient Egypt, found at/by the royal palace adjacent to the temple of Medinet Habu, from the reign of Ramesses III (1182-1151 B.C.) Representations are (in order) a pair of Nubians, a Philistine, an Amorite, a Syrian and a Hittite. On display at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol # Ish Gebor:
[QB] Lovely Wikipedia page,

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beni_Hasan

The figures are considered ancient Bedawin from Syria.

It's also interesting to know what the ancient Syrians looked like. Perhaps they could be considered "the black Arabs"?

-

According to wiki The Boston Museum has this figure listed as Peleset (Philistine)

I think that is wrong. The Peleset at top don't have beards and they wear skirts with their chests bare

I believe you are right the figure is Syrian or Bedouin

-
Faience tiles from the royal palace at Medinet Habu, depicting
foreign prisoners of Ramesses III: Libyan, Nubian, Syrian,
Shasu Bedouin, and Hittite.

Figure 3, Syrian matches clothing of that figure
It's hard to tell what's going on with the hair. If it's a head band with the hair pulled back it's Figure 4. Shasu

Shasu Bedouin
 -
 -

Book of Gates, fourth division (P)/fifth hour (H), lower register, scene 30:
Syrian and Nubian,
 -

-

I'm not sure about a match elsewhere for these particular Beni Hasan figures, sort of similar to the Syrians above
 -

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Talk about drudging up a beat to death topic.
Oh well, at least some good large photos this time.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
LOL! Talk about drudging up a beat to death topic.
Oh well, at least some good large photos this time.

It was drudged up, stratigicly.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Child Of The KING:
Thanks for this Troll Patrol,

Was wondering why people don't question as much as you have questioned all these reports.

The world back in Ancient times was a Browner Place, We see this from the pics that were drawn of the Hebrews, Ancient Syrians AND Arabs.

The Egyptians probably figured that people would question who they were, so the documented the world as they saw it and di it without the egos of modern Europeans.

I would love to read more studies you come across about the Ancient ME people. It seems that what Ledamna is stating is a fact. The Tigray, Amhara were the Ancient Sabaeans and lifed in the coast of Ethiopia and yemen.

To me these people use to be ONE until the coming of the Northern Type.

Enjoy,

http://www.metmuseum.org/pubs/bulletins/1/pdf/3254982.pdf.bannered.pdf

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Lepsius Abth.II.Bl.141

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
 -

Photo still shows red in #1's kilt and #3's waistband.
No trace of red in either man's hair. Red possibly in #2's beard?

#3's spear head and shaft look the same color in photo.

Did oxygen pollution whatever change the colors recorded in the Denk?
Did the copyists derive colors from similar tomb paintings or invent colors?

???

EDIT
quote:
sorry I had to edit that title, it's alternative theory and I don't want people new to the subject get confused. He has a thread on it, so he still gets to have his theory - but in that thread

My bad. just stumbld upon it haphazardly after lookig into Lepsius TEXTBAND on Beni Hasan grave 1.

now I see I there was a version w/o that other stuff.
Thx yr img is exactly what I wanted. Back to Lepsius for me now.

-

Text clearly says tawny complexion, red hair, red goatee,
and red tipped lance.

Question is, is he describing what's on the wall or is he talking
about E Weiderbach's painting?

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
[QB]  -

(De Agostini Picture Library/G. Sioen/ Bridgeman Images)A 12th Dynasty (1981–1802 B.C.) fresco from the tomb of Khnumhotep III in Beni Hassan shows a group of Semitic people, possibly Canaanite merchants, arriving in Egypt. They are thought to be related culturally to the dynasty that called itself the Hyksos.

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/309-1809/features/6855-egypt-hyksos-foreign-dynasty

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Continuing my line of repro vs photo/digital imgs inquiry on EGYPTOLOGY forum since it really is Egyptology and trans-disciplinary subject matter.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness:
 -
LINK

Hope you like these. I dunno who did either repro but it kinda reminds me of Champollion's artist.

-

Heqa.khast Ab-sha and party bringing
eye makeup for trade in Egypt. The
chief/sheikh name is usually rendered
Abisha. I wonder if that's really his
name. Is the scribe being funny and
calling this leader "Marsh Daddy"?

quote:
 -

.  -

Here's what I could work out about the overhead glyphs and the note in the scribe's hand.

-

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I don't wan this to become an all picture thread, also changed photo to professional. Alarmy has a lot
https://www.alamy.com/search.html?qt=Beni%20Hasan%20Egypt&imgt=0

Tukuler
Member # 19944

OK gotcha

Thought my guess at his name
and the translation of the
note in the scribe's hand
added value to the thread

but at your behest I can
delete the material or
whatever you want me to
do with it.

peace

Oh, I'm guessing about Rosellini(sp) being the plate artist now.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
let's leave it
u/zealousideal-fact-33
Member # 23307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for u/zealousideal-fact-33   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abisha means Abesha/Habeaha it's a name of the Ethio/Eri Semitice people.

--------------------
[color=#FF0000]z[/color]

Posts: 4 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Clyde Winters alternative theory on the Hyksos which I don't believe can be read about here:

click:
Hyksos were Kushites

but the topic in this thread is Abisha at Beni Hasan

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com