EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Germany returns 21 Benin bronzes to Nigeria

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Germany returns 21 Benin bronzes to Nigeria
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Germany returns 21 Benin bronzes to Nigeria

quote:
Germany returns 21 Benin bronzes to Nigeria – amid frustration at Britain

Artefacts looted in 19th century by UK soldiers and sold on, with many more still held by the British Museum

Twenty-one precious artefacts that were looted by British soldiers from the former west African kingdom of Benin 125 years ago have been handed over by Germany to Nigeria amid laughter, tears, and some audible frustration with the ongoing silence of the country that first stole them.

The objects from the haul of treasures known as the Benin bronzes, including a brass head of an oba (king), a ceremonial ada and a throne depicting a coiled-up python, were taken from the sacked city during a British punitive expedition in 1897 and later sold to German museums in Berlin, Hamburg, Stuttgart and Cologne.

Shortly after lunchtime on Tuesday, Germany’s foreign minister, Annalena Baerbock, passed perhaps the most spectacular of the returned objects into the gloved hands of Nigeria’s culture minister, Lai Mohammed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/20/germany-returns-21-benin-bronzes-to-nigeria-amid-frustration-at-britain

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tehutimes
Member # 21712

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tehutimes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whistlers Mother, Mona Lisa, Boy Blue, & The Scream were stolen by Ghanaian or Nigerian expeditionary forces then sold to Senegalese or Burundian imagine that in reverse towards European lands.How much art from Africa, Australia, Oceania, & the Americas been stolen by European thugs?

--------------------
Tehutimes

Posts: 115 | From: north america | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never understood this logic of "returning" artifacts, given that they were initially discovered and safeguarded by Europeans. The indigenous people of the areas where these artifacts were found did not have a tradition of archaeology, and they did not attach much importance to the artifacts. This is especially true in Muslim countries, where anything from the Jahiliya period (refers to the pre-Islamic era) was often disregarded.

Also look at what happened to these artifacts in Egypt during the Arab spring or what happened to them in Irak with ISIS... These incidents highlight the vulnerability of these artifacts so it would be best for these artifacts to remain in Europe.

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tazarah
Why are you stalking my social media?
Member # 23365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tazarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antalas:
I've never understood this logic of "returning" artifacts, given that they were initially discovered and safeguarded by Europeans. The indigenous people of the areas where these artifacts were found did not have a tradition of archaeology, and they did not attach much importance to the artifacts. This is especially true in Muslim countries, where anything from the Jahiliya period (refers to the pre-Islamic era) was often disregarded.

Also look at what happened to these artifacts in Egypt during the Arab spring or what happened to them in Irak with ISIS... These incidents highlight the vulnerability of these artifacts so it would be best for these artifacts to remain in Europe.

Spoken like a true colonizing thief.
Posts: 2493 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is mainly a Muslim issue, in Muslim countries unless you can provide evidence of Africans or any non Musims disrespecting their history. Also, was'nt Benin intact when the city was burned and the artifacts taken? So how could they be "discovered" when the artifacts were being used as part of the city?

quote:

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
British museum is not so keen on returning its bronzes

British Museum Would Be Empty Without Stolen Art From West Africa & Rest Of The World

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2684 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:
Spoken like a true colonizing thief. [/QB]

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
[QB] This is mainly a Muslim issue, in Muslim countries unless you can provide evidence of Africans or any non Musims disrespecting their history. Also, was'nt Benin intact when the city was burned and the artifacts taken? So how could they be "discovered" when the artifacts were being used as part of the city?

Seems like I was right :

-

Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never said you were wrong, esp. when like I said it comes to Muslim countries. That said if they are in a private collection, are they being harmed or destroyed..?

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tazarah:
Spoken like a true colonizing thief.

quote:
This is mainly a Muslim issue, in Muslim countries unless you can provide evidence of Africans or any non Musims disrespecting their history. Also, was'nt Benin intact when the city was burned and the artifacts taken? So how could they be "discovered" when the artifacts were being used as part of the city?

Seems like I was right :

-

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
[QB] I never said you were wrong, esp. when like I said it comes to Muslim countries. That said if they are in a private collection, are they being harmed or destroyed..?

The thing is most Beninese aren't even muslim and those artifacts simply vanished so who knows what happened to them.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com