EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » African American Ethnic Group Matches 23 & Me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: African American Ethnic Group Matches 23 & Me
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting, matches up almost exactly with the linguistic data of the origin of africanisms in american english...

-

This chart shows that only 21 out of 100 of my African American survey participants received any ethnic group match (a few received more than 1). Hence the odds of receiving this update (~20%) are not that high. But still it is already a clear improvement when compared with the odds of receiving a match for an African country by way of 23andme’s Recent Ancestor Location tool. Based on a previous survey of mine this was only 3% for African Americans (see this overview).

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yatunde Lisa Bey:
[QB] This is interesting, matches up almost exactly with the linguistic data of the origin of africanisms in american english...

Do you have a link for credible professional linguist's correlating africanisms in american english ?
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The African heritage of American English
by Holloway, Joseph E; Vass, Winifred Kellersberger

--------------------

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Sometime before 1000 CE Bantu speaking peoples migrated into the area from western-central Africa It is widely believed that the origin of these migrations was somewhere around the present day Nigeria-Cameroonian border. The Bantu speaking peoples brought with them technologies such as iron smelting and pottery-making[xiv]. The people of northern Angola become fully integrated in the Bantu-speaking communities so there is no remnant of their original language in present-day Angola[xv]. In southern Angola, the Khoe speaking peoples had some degree of isolation and many of the Khoe languages are still spoken today[xvi]. As the Bantu speaking peoples settled down they began to developed distinct linguistic communities. The largest of these were the Umbundu, Kimbundu, Kikongo, Chokwe, Kwanyama and Ngangela languege groups. The Khoe speaking and Bantu-speaking groups of people initially made alliances and intermarried, and they traded and shared technology. While they were on the move, the Bantu-speaking peoples herded mostly goats, and lived of hunting and gathering, but they began to herd cattle after trading with the Khwe people[xvii].

After 1000 CE several centralised states were formed by various Bantu speaking groups in northern and central Angola. Most notable of these were the Bakongo, Lunda and Mbundu[xviii]. It was during this time, especially amongst the Mbundu and Lunda peoples, that a system of lineage groups called Ngola arose[xix]. The Ngola was symbolised by an iron object which was controlled by each linage[xx]. The linage system Ngola was sometimes used as a royal title for kings in the area and would later become the inspiration for the name Angola[xxi]. The history of the various people which now populate Angola is diverse and in some instances does not interconnect until after the complete Portuguese colonial occupation in 1915 CE.

While larger centralised states were forming in northern Angola, the Ovimbundu (or southern Mbundu) were organised in several small kingdoms organised around kinship and locality. A variety of different political ideas and institutions were used to organise these different kingdoms[xxii]. Autocratic ideas of kingship existed together with semi-democratic tendencies creating ways in which the rulers and the ruled negotiated relations of power[xxiii]. There was a certain amount of centralisation of power, but it was always dependant on kings being perceptive of local issues. Through village councils, which were to some degree democratically elected, the kings ruled with much restraint imposed by ordinary peopl

--------------------

mightywolf
Member # 23402

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mightywolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is interesting, matches up almost exactly with the linguistic data of the origin of africanisms in american english...

-

This chart shows that only 21 out of 100 of my African American survey participants received any ethnic group match (a few received more than 1). Hence the odds of receiving this update (~20%) are not that high. But still it is already a clear improvement when compared with the odds of receiving a match for an African country by way of 23andme’s Recent Ancestor Location tool. Based on a previous survey of mine this was only 3% for African Americans (see this overview).

Is this list complete? What about the Yoruba? They are one of Africa’s largest ethnic groups. 
According to the info that I got, the Yoruba were both victims and beneficiaries of the Trade, as many Yoruba were dispersed to the Americas. And Yoruba people contributed significant cultural and economic influence upon the Atlantic slave trade.

Posts: 102 | From: private | Registered: Jul 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mightywolf:
quote:

-

Is this list complete? What about the Yoruba? They are one of Africa’s largest ethnic groups. 
According to the info that I got, the Yoruba were both victims and beneficiaries of the Trade, as many Yoruba were dispersed to the Americas. And Yoruba people contributed significant cultural and economic influence upon the Atlantic slave trade.

These are the most frequent single matches for African Americans that he can find right now.

But it also matches linguistic data and studies done for the past 50 years...

So what is the conclusion, whilst many Yorubans were among the slave trade and no doubt there is that ancestry among AA's it is not going to be a major factor like say among Cubans or Brazilians who still have many religious and linguistic yoruban retention's in their cultures

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com