EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » I need more input

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need more input
LesLei
Member # 3454

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LesLei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly, thank you to Akshar for your reply. I've also heard that you must be careful with the men!!!
How important is it what you wear when you are sightseeing. The last thing I want to do if offend anyone and on the other hand I don't want to have to stay in my Hotel for the Holiday. What sort of weather should I expect in February? Can I get flights from Hurghada to visit Cairo and Luxor and if so would this be expensive?
Please can anyone give me any advise as I have been wanting to go to Egypt for years and its at last Happening.

Posts: 6 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy
Member # 3219

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cindy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LesLei,

As far as I know flight tickets from Hurgada(Sarm El Sheik) to Cairo(Luxor) cost $170-220. Also you can get there by bus(ticket costs $10). It takes about 5-8 hours. I dont' know what is the safest way to get to Cairo...Do you?

best regards, Cindy

[This message has been edited by Cindy (edited 27 January 2004).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LesLei:
Firstly, thank you to Akshar for your reply. I've also heard that you must be careful with the men!!!
How important is it what you wear when you are sightseeing. The last thing I want to do if offend anyone and on the other hand I don't want to have to stay in my Hotel for the Holiday. What sort of weather should I expect in February? Can I get flights from Hurghada to visit Cairo and Luxor and if so would this be expensive?
Please can anyone give me any advise as I have been wanting to go to Egypt for years and its at last Happening.

The weather in Hurghada in February will be fairly cold in the evening and possibly sunny but windy during the day. Before you go check the following web site: www.weather.co.uk i think it gives a 5 day forecast.

I was in Hurghada last month, and for me it was quite cold because i live in Egypt, but still many of the tourists were wearing t'shirts and shorts. In the evening however all were wearing warmer clothing.

I will be visiting again next week so i can post again to say what the weather was like, but i doubt if there will be much change from last month.

Dress code in Hurghada is pretty much 'wear what you like',just be aware that you will be hassled if you dress minimally. I have seen girls walking the streets of Hurghada wearing bikini and sarong! In areas such as Luxor and Cairo you can also wear what you like, but i would advise that you cover arms and legs in these areas otherwise it's likely that you will be stared at and/or made to feel uncomfortable. That doesn't mean that you have to dress like an old maid, just wear 'sensible' clothes!

Post the sightseeing activities you plan to do, then we can advise of suitable dress for each, in terms of comfort and respectability.

To travel from Hurghada i would highly recommend that you take the Superjet bus. The journey takes 5hrs exactly, the bus is very comfortable and clean and will take you to Heliopolis or Tahrir Sq in Cairo. The cost is between 52LE and 57LE depending on the time you travel. I'm not 100% sure of the bus times, but i think they have buses at 12pm, 3pm, 5pm and 12am. I would say that travelling by plane is very expensive and unless you are in a hurry to get around, unecessary.

The other bus choices in Hurghada are El Gouna and the various other government buses. Whatever you do - STAY AWAY FROM THE GOVERNMENT BUSES!!! These are the ones that leave from the main bus station in Dahar. If you would like stories i can give you stories! El Gouna is good, but since i started using Superjet, it is now the only choice for me.

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefertiti
Member # 1628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh I just realised that to get from Hurghada to Luxor, you have to take the Government bus!

The only way around this will be to travel Hurghada - Cairo by Bus
Cairo - Luxor by Train
then you just need to do the scaggy bus once, it can take between 7 and 8 hrs from Luxor to Hurghada. I can post more if you give more definite info as to what you will do insha'allah.

Good Luck

Posts: 693 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LesLei
Member # 3454

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for LesLei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nefertiti:
The weather in Hurghada in February will be fairly cold in the evening and possibly sunny but windy during the day. Before you go check the following web site: www.weather.co.uk i think it gives a 5 day forecast.

I was in Hurghada last month, and for me it was quite cold because i live in Egypt, but still many of the tourists were wearing t'shirts and shorts. In the evening however all were wearing warmer clothing.

I will be visiting again next week so i can post again to say what the weather was like, but i doubt if there will be much change from last month.

Dress code in Hurghada is pretty much 'wear what you like',just be aware that you will be hassled if you dress minimally. I have seen girls walking the streets of Hurghada wearing bikini and sarong! In areas such as Luxor and Cairo you can also wear what you like, but i would advise that you cover arms and legs in these areas otherwise it's likely that you will be stared at and/or made to feel uncomfortable. That doesn't mean that you have to dress like an old maid, just wear 'sensible' clothes!

Post the sightseeing activities you plan to do, then we can advise of suitable dress for each, in terms of comfort and respectability.

To travel from Hurghada i would highly recommend that you take the Superjet bus. The journey takes 5hrs exactly, the bus is very comfortable and clean and will take you to Heliopolis or Tahrir Sq in Cairo. The cost is between 52LE and 57LE depending on the time you travel. I'm not 100% sure of the bus times, but i think they have buses at 12pm, 3pm, 5pm and 12am. I would say that travelling by plane is very expensive and unless you are in a hurry to get around, unecessary.

The other bus choices in Hurghada are El Gouna and the various other government buses. Whatever you do - STAY AWAY FROM THE GOVERNMENT BUSES!!! These are the ones that leave from the main bus station in Dahar. If you would like stories i can give you stories! El Gouna is good, but since i started using Superjet, it is now the only choice for me.

Cheers Nefertiti you don't know how helpful that was to me. My Daughter (27) My Son (12) and myself are going for a week in February. We want to see Tutunkhamun's Tomb, The Valley of the Kings & Queens. The Sphinx, The Pyramids of course and also some museums. We are staying in a Hotel in Hurghada, we actually thought it would be the best place to stay as its about the middle. What do you suggest? I also understand that things are really cheap there?

Posts: 6 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are staying in Hurghada, you can take an organised day trip to Luxor to see visit the main sights. Your hotel or any travel agent will be able to arrange it for you. The price usually includes your entrance fees to the sights, and usually lunch is included too. And! You get to ride on an airconditioned coach!
Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LesLei
Member # 3454

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for LesLei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cindy, I don't know much at all as I have not been there before. Anymore you can tell me?
LesLei
Member # 3454

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LesLei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nefertiti, Tell me more, Can we get a sleeper train to Cairo & Luxor. Did you get my reply with where I want to visit. How cheap is it there. Not sure how much money to take. Please let me pick your brains.
Lee

bay212
Member # 3424

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bay212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Leslei.I was in Egypt this past xmas. There is a sleeper train between Luxor & Cairo. It cost fifty US$ per person for non Egyptians. U also have to pay in Dollars,they will not accept Egyptian pound lol..Try to make it to Abu Simbol temple (about 3 hrs south of Aswan )..While in Aswan U have to take a sail boat down The nile,u can also stop at Nubian villages on the nile(as u sailing) as some of them welcome tourists in their homes..(trust me ,the boat ride is a must).Have fun..
Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com