EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » renting horses in Cairo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: renting horses in Cairo?
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Syb here. I'm planning a first trip to Cairo in May. Had planned on making this a riding tour. Any advice on GOOD stables to do long, at least 4 hrs. a day, horseback trips through the desert, to Pyramids, Sphinx, Sakkara, Abu Sier. I understand there are many horse rentals near Pyramids. Are these "pony-ride nags" or decent horses. I am an experienced rider and am looking for an adventure, not a line-them-up trail ride. Tour agents have not been much help. One company will do 4 hours daily for 6 days at a cost of $715. This seems high compared to other rates. Thank you for any tips on riding.
Posts: 53 | From: cape may, NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken people on horses, and camels around the pyramids, to Sakkara going past Abu Sir, and just generally out in the desert. I can arrange it for you, but want you to understand the layout first.

The horse stables are right at the Giza pyramids essentially. To ride from the stables to the pyramids takes maximum 2 hours if you fool around abit. Since the horses are technially not supposed to be in the park there at the pyramids you have to do a little sneaking around to get in...but everyone does it and I know where the current gates are. More time can be killed by going out into the desert and riding around. It's a lot of fun.

The ride to Sakkara is about 3 hours one way. You can hire the horses one way or do round trip, up to you. If you want to get right up to the Step Pyramid, special permission has to be applied for and received in advance to your trip. Generally when a stable sells you a trip to Sakkara they only take you to Sakkara Country Club which is actually before Abu Sir. It's not nearly the same ride.

To get clear down to Dashure, is going to take longer. If you are interested in talking to me about this, I'll ask about it.

Also want to say that the stable I use has horses for all abilities. You may need to demonstrate your ability to the owner before he'll put you on one of his best horses, but if you can ride, he'll give you a good horse. I found this stable through expat friends that board their horses there. He takes good care of his horses... as good as you'll see around the pyramids, anyway.

Also, don't know if you ride English or Western, but he also has plenty of Western saddles if you prefer this.

Contact me at my email address for more info about prices etc. if you are interested.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 25 February 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egy_prince
Member # 2853

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egy_prince     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sybyrite:
Syb here. I'm planning a first trip to Cairo in May. Had planned on making this a riding tour. Any advice on GOOD stables to do long, at least 4 hrs. a day, horseback trips through the desert, to Pyramids, Sphinx, Sakkara, Abu Sier. I understand there are many horse rentals near Pyramids. Are these "pony-ride nags" or decent horses. I am an experienced rider and am looking for an adventure, not a line-them-up trail ride. Tour agents have not been much help. One company will do 4 hours daily for 6 days at a cost of $715. This seems high compared to other rates. Thank you for any tips on riding.

sybyrite,

give me the $715 and I buy u a horse

Posts: 471 | From: egypt | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
patrick3
Member # 3669

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for patrick3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I am a keen horse-rider myself and made the most of it whilst living in Cairo last year. For sure you can get a better price! According to my calculations, you will be able to have a great time and on quality horses for between $450 and $500 MAX! The name of the stable is NB Stables and they are located by the pyramides, near the cemetary.

Unfortunately I haven't got their number or address - also had a look on the internet, but couldn't come up with anything, so maybe you want to try, or somebody else on this board, Debbie maybe, could be of assistance or find out for you?!

Believe me, I am fussy and have high expectations when it comes to riding and NB Stables fulfilled what I was looking for 100%. Good luck!

quote:

Posts: 5 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Thank you for the great replies.
And Patrick, I have listing for an MG Stables, behind the Sound & Light Grandstand, is that the one you meant? Also have phone #'s for AA, Eurostables, and Omar Stables. Ever hear of the Starrides from Giza?

Posts: 53 | From: cape may, NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wow, Thank you for the great replies.
And Patrick, I have listing for an MG Stables, behind the Sound & Light Grandstand, is that the one you meant? Also have phone #'s for AA, Eurostables, and Omar Stables. Ever hear of the Starrides from Giza?

Patrick is right on. NB is the one I use too. They are the best. MG, although they managed to get listed in Lonely Planet ONCE sucks. Mohamed is a letcherous old man that is way way too friendly with female customers and the horses are not particularly good. He also embarrassed me badly with customers in 2000 that were good riders, had their own horses and he gave us some of the sadest old nags he had in the stable. I would NEVER recommend going to MG if you know what you are doing and are more than a backpacker that lives by Lonely Planet when you travel.

AA is the only one you mentioned that I've heard OK things about from other foreigners. Personally I've never used them and won't until NB burns me, and I don't expect they will.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comte de Monte-Cristo
Member # 1331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comte de Monte-Cristo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Sybrite, Debbie & Patrick,
Long time no see Debbie, hope all is ok,,,
I go horse riding regular with 7UP stables, usually riding very good quality horses from 1 to 4 hours is possible to arrange. Most of the horses they have are ones that participates in marathons and need experienced riders (they cater though for tourist level riders :-))
The person in charge is Issam, very polite and happy to help.
IŽll be back in cairo next week, please get in touch if you need extra info.
microma7@yahoo.com

Posts: 87 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Comte,

I thought you don't go horseback riding any more, I'd love to come along again.
I'll be back in Cairo in about two weeks, maybe we can hook up.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Comte de Monte-Cristo
Member # 1331

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Comte de Monte-Cristo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still riding... get in touch when u're around... in two weeks...
Posts: 87 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Syb here again, thanks to all for your help. More queries on the riding. Boots would probably be too hot for lengthy desert rides. What is normally worn? Sneakers? Hiking boots?
patrick3
Member # 3669

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for patrick3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi sybyrite,

I usually wore sneakers and NB do provide chaps - this was sufficient. But I would have worn my riding boots if I'd had them with me as these are worn by the majority of serious riders. Have you decided yet which stable to give a try?

quote:
Syb here again, thanks to all for your help. More queries on the riding. Boots would probably be too hot for lengthy desert rides. What is normally worn? Sneakers? Hiking boots?

Posts: 5 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Patrick, Thanks for all the advice, and from everyone. We've decided to use Debbie and NB for the first full day out. That will give us a good feel for the area. And hopefully, good horses. Really excited about this. Cowboy boots or riding boots? Thanks again.
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wear whatever you have room to pack and you will be comfortable in. I'll be wearing sneakers or some flat soled shoes.....I know I know, innapropriate, but I don't have anything especially for riding, and I'm not planning to buy something especially for it now.

------------------
Dds71@aol.com

Basmalah
Member # 3783

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Basmalah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Debbie!

May I ask if your married or that u live in Cairo? (This because i'm interested in other people's experience with living in Cairo)

Basmalah

Posts: 14 | From: Holland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sybyrite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Basmalah, No, I am not married. I am a free, happy, independent, single lady. And I want to enjoy life's adventures in various parts of the world. On visiting Cairo, I will be with a male friend, however. So much looking forward to this.
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
And Patrick, Would not riding boots be too hot in the desert? In May. Thank you.
bastet
Member # 3888

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bastet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again, had to change my name as I forgot my password, not actively using this forum enough...

I took my short booties, not full-length and had no problems. Being comfortable is the key, especially since you are planning long rides. Yes, May can be very hot already in Cairo, so leave early and wear a hat (you see many of the expats in full riding gear throughout the year) - evening rides, even in total darkness, with just the moon's reflection in the sand, are something special you should definitely try. Ask the owner if you can have a go on his favourite mare, can't remember her name, but she's the best horse I've ridden there and very hot.
I might be going to Egypt myself during May sometime, what dates are you there?

quote:
And Patrick, Would not riding boots be too hot in the desert? In May. Thank you.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bastet
Member # 3888

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bastet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

And DEFINITELY go for NB Stables, as Debbie rightly recommended also.

quote:
Originally posted by bastet:
Hi again, had to change my name as I forgot my password, not actively using this forum enough...

I took my short booties, not full-length and had no problems. Being comfortable is the key, especially since you are planning long rides. Yes, May can be very hot already in Cairo, so leave early and wear a hat (you see many of the expats in full riding gear throughout the year) - evening rides, even in total darkness, with just the moon's reflection in the sand, are something special you should definitely try. Ask the owner if you can have a go on his favourite mare, can't remember her name, but she's the best horse I've ridden there and very hot.
I might be going to Egypt myself during May sometime, what dates are you there?

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you rent a horse and someone to lead you around the pyramids? I'm not that confident on horses, butlove the idea of riding around the pyramids and a horse. Especially at night! Is there anywhere that offers this trip??
Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Hi Giggles, Talk to Debbie, she's 'right on'. Syb
sybyrite
Member # 3658

Rate Member
Hey bastet/patrick, Will be in Cairo May 18-29. Really appreciate yours and Debbie's advice. These are all Purebred (asil) Arabians that are used, aren't they? Or are they a Arab/Barb cross?
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found some boots in my store room at home when I was in the states, so now I can wear appropriate footwear. YEA!

And, Giggles, yes, you can be led around the pyramids as you like. Be careful though as the Egyptian knotheads that generally rent horses think running everywhere is great fun. If you really want to do it safely, let me take you, as I know better, but if you don't like the idea of that, just insist that they lead you on foot...that way they can't run.

P.S. At night will be tougher because they close the pyramids grounds for the Sound and Light show after the sun goes down.

------------------
Dds71@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 26 March 2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com