EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Death On The Nile

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Death On The Nile
philand teresa
Member # 2726

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for philand teresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The remake of Death On The Nile will be shown on U.K. Television on Monday 12th April 9pm on ITV 1. Produced by and starring David Suchet, it should not be missed. We know some scenes were filmed in the Valley of the Baboons (the Western Valley)at the Valley Of The Kings. Does anyone know where else was used to film ?
Posts: 119 | From: West Midlands. U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparantly at the Old Winter Palace Hotel in Luxor.
I've never had the pleasure or fortune of staying there but I do love a stroll around the rear gardens.

Last winter, we flew back from Luxor and they started filming a week later.

It's getting some good publicity, Good Morning tv show, Radio 2 interview with David Suchet and in Daily Mail magazine at weekend. Not seen actual adverts for it in commercial breaks.

Glad you posted this reminder for those in UK. Will be taping this. I loved the original film esp. Peter Ustinov, R.I.P.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gary
Member # 3608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wise woman
the original with peter Ustinov is being shown on saturday afternoon.
think it on beeb2 just incase you want to tape that 2
i will be watching both !!!

Posts: 130 | From: torquay . uk | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had also that some shots were done at Cairo ... not sure where.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Gary, I'll be sure to watch.

Posts: 266 | From: Scotland, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for wise_woman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thoroughly enjoyed the 1978 film on Saturday evening.

My plan was, to record it onto start of a blank tape and then tonight record the new one after it, but of course, I forgot and didn't do this.

But I will to be sure to watch and record the new one tonight on ITV1.

It finishes at 11.05 p.m. and on ITV2 there is a Behind Poirot: Death on the Nile which shows behind the scens of filming, which starts at 11.00 p.m.
Hope I don't miss the end of the 1st show or the start of the 2nd show.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wise Woman
Lol, I did manage to back to back tape them! Two very different versions of the book I think! But both excellent in their own ways
Now I have to read the book to see which one is closest to Agatha Christie's original novel.
One bit I loved in the new version though was the shot when they are boarding the boat, and there, clearly in the background is my "proposed ice cream parlour boat"! So they must have docked the boat they used right outside the Winter Palace! And! I am pretty sure I saw the very same boat sailing on the Nile just a few weeks ago! Lol, I now have to check out my photos cos I am sure there is a pic of it there somewhere!
Nice shots of both Luxor and Dendara temples too.... and the West Bank shoreline was pretty nice too!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wise_woman
Member # 444

Rate Member
Hi Shareen,

I bought the paperback Death on the Nile back in 1996 a few months before my first trip to Egypt. For the first 5 or 6 holidays I would take my book with me and have my photo taken reading it in all sorts of places in Egypt.

When housekeeping from Nile Cruise made up a wee person made from pillow and towels wearing my hat and shades - I took my wee person all over the boat, took pics of it reading my Death on the Nile book at dinner, reading it in bed, in the bath, my wee person wearing shades lying back on sun lounger, on bar stool waiting to be served.
I hated taking it apart that nice to sleep on it.

I thought last night's drama was okay but I'm such a fan of the original 1978 film, that I was looking at the characters and comparing them to the 1978 actors.
If I hadn't seen the film I would have enjoyed last night's drama more.

I never noticed your "ice cream parlour boat", was this near the start? can you describe it so I can go back and see it?

I thought there was less scenery and tombs and temples in last night's drama.

I still haven't finished the book. I feel as though when the book is finished, my Egyptian journey of 7 years ends too.

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, Wise Woman
I would love to see your pics of your "wee person"! Arent those things they do with towels really cool?
As for my "ice cream parlour", its the pinkish coloured derelict boat moored just outside Kebabgy (or something like that) restaurant on the lower Corniche outside the Winter Palace, right next to the feluccas. Its been my dream to buy it and convert it to a huge pile of pink and white confection and serve those wonderful Movenpick icecreams there!
You can see it quite clearly in the shot where they are boarding the cruise boat, its only a fleeting view, but it made me smile.
And dont finish the book!!! Egypt has to last way way longer than 7 years!!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com