EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » SOME IDEAS PLEASE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOME IDEAS PLEASE
CaliGirl
Member # 4409

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CaliGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone! I will be visiting Cairo in a few months and meeting my in-laws FORT THE FIRST TIME. I would like to take some gifts to mother-in-law and to husband's siblings. What would be a good idea to take? I live in California. All ideas welcomed!!!

------------------

Posts: 62 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkadi80
Member # 4530

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkadi80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Perfume gonna b gr8. and choclates for meeeeee

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliGirl
Member # 4409

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for CaliGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!!! Thanks!
Posts: 62 | From: San Diego, Ca USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farhana
Member # 3795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farhana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Caligirl..best of luck and hope you have a safe and blessed trip.

Yeah, perfume is a good idea, but what about father in law? My mum used to take her mother in law (my Egyptian grandma) perfume, bags, dresses/suits and often material. I guess it depends on what your folks are like, age etc..Cant remember what we used to take for Grandpa..he wasnt much in need of anything and it was a strain i'm sure..will ask mum.

Have a great trip.

Posts: 606 | From: London, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chocolates are appreciated, as well as scarfs and silk ties, and perfume..

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strangelookingnegro
Member # 151

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for strangelookingnegro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I've been racking my brain to try to think what epitomizes California that isn't fruit or something agriculture-y...and I finally came up with Disneyland. If you can find something that is authentic Disneyland (t-shirts, whatever) I think that would go over big.

Adults here even like stuffed animals, so if you wanted to bring a stuffed Disney character, that would be treasured I think. Pencils, pens, anything like that would be treasured, even by the adults.

We have Toys-R-Us, but we don't have a Disney store here yet.

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 21 June 2004).]

Posts: 3246 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
You know I've been racking my brain to try to think what epitomizes California that isn't fruit or something agricultural

hollywood? movie capital of the world?

(i always get a crack up of those cards they sell which look like real snapshot pictures of celebrities -- so you can tell people back home you saw them and took that picture ...i think that would be a funny joke gift for a teenager in the family)

i suggest asking your husband...if your mother-in-law is veiled, try finding a nice scarf (maybe american brand name that would not be available in egypt)...or a broach/pin. perfume is hard to get right, bcs it's such a personal thing...if you're going that route, maybe get scented lotions or get it at cairo duty-free so it can be exchanged

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alark
Member # 4294

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I've read suggestions for chocolates, and some foreign touristy type gifts...but I have a few things in mind as well including:

- Pictorial of books of where you come from, like a nice coffee table book.
- Hijabs or scarves for women (although I'm not sure if this is necessary since the scarves may actually be Egyptian exports )
- Small pins or brooches to decorate hijabs, I live in BC and bought this tiny BC Jade that was carved into a maple leaf. Very Canadian , very local.
- Picture frames (with an engraving of person's name or something more personal)
- Wallets, funky purses, shirts from local companies.
- Pens, journals.

I think that the more personal you go, you can't go wrong. If the person receiving the gift knows you put thought into it, the more it's appreciated. That's why I'm a big fan of engraved picture frames, on coffee table books that they can display.

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com