EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Hello all from a new member!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello all from a new member!
sheherzade
Member # 4984

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for sheherzade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just stumbled upon this board by chance, looks interesting, even if I haven't read many threads yet. I'm in a bit of a hurry because I decided just before yesterday to flee Switzerland for two weeks and go visit Cairo with my daughter; we're leaving this weekend. So I'm in the middle of arranging things. Will read more posts when I'll find the time.

I'm very curious how I will experience Cairo on this visit, and if my daughter, who grew up in India, Nepal and Brazil and has not much ideas about Islamic or Egyptian culture, will like it.

Myself, I've lived in Cairo for a year back in 1975, it was a wonderful time. We never had any money, but always lots of fun. At that time we'd just come straight from West Africa, where we'd crossed the Sahel on our own camels. We didn't like West Africa particularly, and it was wonderful to come to Cairo. People in the street would offer help and advice, everybody smiled at us and said "Welcome to Cairo". Where we'd just come from nobody ever had given a damn.
So we had a wonderful year of adventures and friendship that makes me still insist 30 years later that Cairo is the best city I ever knew, and I knew a lot in over 20 years of traveling.
Cairo was the first place ever where I really felt at home, despite having traveled to many places before arriving there. I'm very happy to visit Cairo once again; my last short visit was about 12 years ago.

I know that a lot has changed in Cairo over the years, but I can't imagine that the nature of the Egyptian people will ever change, God forbid.

So those are my reasons for me registering here: A strong love for the "Mother of all Cities", and Egypt generally. Even if the Cairo of the 21th century is not the Cairo of 1975, to me in a way it will be that forever: A place where western hurries and worries are but a bad joke, and where friendliness and hospitality are the rule and not the exeption.

Cheers,

sheherzade

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madmax
Member # 4910

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for madmax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

WELCOME TO THE LAND OF EGYPT

DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE PEOPLE THAT SPEAK LIES ABOUT A GREAT COUNTRY.

THEY ARE ONLY HERE TO SPREAD THEIR HATRED AND DO SO WITH NO SHAME.

EGYPT HAS MUCH TO OFFER TOURISTS SEEKING A REAL HOLIDAY OF A LIFE TIME.

COME AND SEE IT FOR YOURSELF AND DO NOT LET THESE JEALOUS AND SAD PEOPLE PUT YOU OFF.

THESE PEOPLE HAVE A HIDDEN AGENDA AND ARE PRETENDING TO BE SO CLEVER BUT THEY ARE FOOLING NOBODY.

It is still a great place !!!

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarlettHamada
Member # 4740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarlettHamada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cairo hasnt changed that much...it is still a friendly, wonderful safe place to visit, stay or live.
Posts: 48 | From: portsmouth, hampshire, uk | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheherzade
Member # 4984

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for sheherzade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScarlettHamada:
Cairo hasnt changed that much...it is still a friendly, wonderful safe place to visit, stay or live.

I indeed think so too, and I'm looking forward to our short trip.

As to this board, even before seeing those asinine posts of today I looked around a bit yesterday, and I was deeply shocked and disgusted at the all the fighting, bickering and agression, not to mention the foul language. It's very sad, and a real shame. You should have some mods to look after things.

I'm a long standing member of a much bigger board where people from all over the world meet, from all kinds of backgrounds. Everybody there is very helpful and treats everybody else with the utmost respect and consideration; scenes like I've been witnessing here are not imaginable there.

I'm out again of here! Too many sick, dirty and frustrated minds. Kipling was right after all, at least in relation to this board: East is east and west is west, and never the two shall meet. (Quoted from memory, sorry if not completely accurate.)

I wish you all well!

[This message has been edited by sheherzade (edited 07 August 2004).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarlettHamada
Member # 4740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarlettHamada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet.

The Ballad of East and West
R Kipling.

And what you have witnessed on ES recently isnt it's normal behaviour...put it down to the heat.....lol

Posts: 48 | From: portsmouth, hampshire, uk | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carleen
Member # 4311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carleen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet Monica & her cohorts say it's the "westerners" that are turning people off from Egypt...
Posts: 310 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelfriend
Member # 4308

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sheherzade....hello.....could you post for me the web site u have mentioned in your post here where people from all over the world meet.....with thanksQUOTE]Originally posted by sheherzade:
I indeed think so too, and I'm looking forward to our short trip.

As to this board, even before seeing those asinine posts of today I looked around a bit yesterday, and I was deeply shocked and disgusted at the all the fighting, bickering and agression, not to mention the foul language. It's very sad, and a real shame. You should have some mods to look after things.

I'm a long standing member of a much bigger board where people from all over the world meet, from all kinds of backgrounds. Everybody there is very helpful and treats everybody else with the utmost respect and consideration; scenes like I've been witnessing here are not imaginable there.

I'm out again of here! Too many sick, dirty and frustrated minds. Kipling was right after all, at least in relation to this board: East is east and west is west, and never the two shall meet. (Quoted from memory, sorry if not completely accurate.)

I wish you all well!

[This message has been edited by sheherzade (edited 07 August 2004).][/QUOTE]

Posts: 2 | From: canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anubisegypt
Member # 5006

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anubisegypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is still great

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com