EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Tombs currently open in TVotK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tombs currently open in TVotK
LazzaH
Member # 5811

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LazzaH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

Anyone know which tombs are currently open in The Valley of the Kings? Are any of the "good" ones closed at present? I know Tutankhamun`s is supposed to be a bit of a let-down, compared to others, but I`m not going all the way to Egypt and not visit it!

TIA

Lazza.

Posts: 25 | From: London,England,UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatik
Member # 4457

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Automatik   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really need an update just before you get here because they seem to open and close without much notice and without any pattern. (Although I am sure that there must be one).

Set 1 is always closed and has been for the last 7 years that I know of. Ramses 1 is now open and is worth a visit. I think that the mummy in Tutankhamun's tomb has just been removed and sent to Cairo.

It is a few weeks since I was there but then many of the smaller tombs had been closed for restoration and so had Nefertari's tomb in the Valley of the Queens.

When are you coming here? I shall be going there again some time next week and can give you an update then if it is not too late?

Posts: 2235 | From: Jail | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As LuxorLover says they open and close on whim and in fact she is a bit out of date because Ramses I is closed!!!!!!

A lot of that Wadi where Ram I is the start is subject to closure because they are doing some work on the flood defences.

So the only thing to do is see what is open on the day. But don't worry there are loads of great tombs and you won't be disappointed.

I would advise skipping Tut as you have read as they have now put the price up to 70LE. There is nothing special abotu the tomb as tombs go and of course all the treasure is in the Cairo. If you are going to be in Cairo you might want to take a trip to Dr Ragab's Phoaronic Village where they have a mock up of the tomb complete with treasure, now that is worth seeing.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LazzaH
Member # 5811

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LazzaH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
You really need an update just before you get here because they seem to open and close without much notice and without any pattern. (Although I am sure that there must be one).

Set 1 is always closed and has been for the last 7 years that I know of. Ramses 1 is now open and is worth a visit. I think that the mummy in Tutankhamun's tomb has just been removed and sent to Cairo.

It is a few weeks since I was there but then many of the smaller tombs had been closed for restoration and so had Nefertari's tomb in the Valley of the Queens.

When are you coming here? I shall be going there again some time next week and can give you an update then if it is not too late?

We are flying to Cairo on Dec.20th, 2 nights there, overnight train to Luxor then 2 nights there. Start 7 night Nile Cruise on Dec.25th. Back to Cairo on o/n train Jan 1st, fly back to London Jan 2nd.

Any help much appreciated.

Lazza

Posts: 25 | From: London,England,UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com