EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » recent flights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: recent flights
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any flown to Egypt lately (or anywhere else) via a UK airport? Do they still have restrictions on carrying cosmetics and liquids in the handluggage? I really need mouthwash and lipgloss with me, and dont want to wash my face with that soap they have in the toilets - I'd rather have my own facial wash and creams. May sound superficial to some, but I like to be clean and feel refreshed.

thanks

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, the first word should read 'anyone' not 'any'.
really need to wake up - off to get some coffee!

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
simongill
Member # 11689

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for simongill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I flew to Luxor on 11 Sept from Heathrow, the restrictions were still in place then ie no liquids (not even toothpaste, lipstick etc) and no cigarrette lighters either.

However, no such problems coming back from Luxor to Heathrow, I carried my lighter and the wife her cosmetics no problem. I am not sure whether this was allowed officially though, but no questions were asked and no searches made.

Posts: 11 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marion King
Member # 11703

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Marion King     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I went to Cairo on the 17th September and the restrictions were in place then but were due to be lifted that week. You can always purchase your own prefered brand of cosmetics air side when you get through all the checks. I had a lip balm with me and had to give it to my husband to bring back home as they were not allowed. Also I had to buy water air side and that cost a whopping £1.25p so was not impressed by that. Have a good trip and dont let the hassle of restrictions [Smile] take the enjoyment of your time in Egypt away from you. In a way it is nice to know we are safe in flight after all.

Posts: 2 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we just flew back Cairo to Heathrow with BA. You can take a small bag but no liquids etc. see the updated flight sites.
we got given a bottle of champers by the stewardess which was confiscated when we went through customs as of course we had no receipt..raging!!!!

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Thanks everyone.

Yes, the downside are the charges the airports are going to make for drinks and snacks.

As for confiscating a bottle of champers - what a cheek!

aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aXXo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i work in cairo airport .. actually in EgyptAir company .. so the story is .. after UK declared an attempt to attack US through flights from UK .. they make some restrictions in Heathrow .. but those restrictions made problems to many people so they left some of the restrictions now and almost back to normal .. in Egypt airport u can take every thing with you .. but as cargo baggage .. not with you in the cabin .. recently after restrictions were lefted from Heathrow u can take little things like creams and cosmatics ..
all what i said above was about Egypt UK flights ...
all other flights have no such procedures .. as u can take all personal stuff u want ..

--------------------
aXXo

Posts: 79 | From: cairo | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Axxo got your company's online booking service up and running yet?
Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

I have a friend who is flying from Cairo to Heathrow in 4 weeks,so will keep you updated.
aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aXXo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if u are talking about the E-ticket it will be effective at the begining of 2007 in EgyptAir ..

--------------------
aXXo

Posts: 79 | From: cairo | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
and will be my pleasure to help ur freind .. just give me information about what he/she need and i will help as much as i can [Smile]

--------------------
aXXo

Life is good
Member # 12116

thanks..no was meaning being able to book your ticket on the internet.

she will be fine..but thanks

Life is good
Member # 12116

oh Axxo,has the business class lounge at Cairo airport been improved?
Still 2 different rooms for smoking and non-smoking too?

aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
u cant book a ticket from the internet yet .. but u can get information about all flights .. just visit www.egyptair.com.eg

--------------------
aXXo

aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
when was the last time u have been in cairo Airport ? .. and which terminal ? coz actually i work in Terminal 1 and there are fantastic places for business and first classes .. where u can smoke, find nice resturants and many duty free shops .. they made those preparations recently .. in the last 2 years ..

--------------------
aXXo

Life is good
Member # 12116

Thanks.Was there 1 week ago but not in the lounges.
Prior to that 6 months and a very burly guy with a moustache served me in the business class lounge,hey,was it you?
He had a thing about watching how much nescafe you were consuming..lol

aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
[Smile] i dont work in business class area .. i am traffic officer .. u can find me when u check in .. i am the one who gave u boarding pass and make u pay money for extra weight [Big Grin] [Big Grin] and u can find me in transit area if u are going other country through Egypt and u can find me at the gate .. u know the one who check ur boarding pass and gave u small part of it before u leave the gate and take the bus to the plane .. this is one of my colleagues [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
aXXo

aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
ohh by the way .. if u will leave Egypt one day with heavey weight i can help u and make u dont pay money at all [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
aXXo

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marion King:
Hi

I went to Cairo on the 17th September and the restrictions were in place then but were due to be lifted that week.

I flew to Luxor from Birmingham on 27th sept and the restrictions were all still in place. No liquids of any kind including solids like lipstick etc. no lighters or matches. was a different thing on the way back in though.

Also for the first time even hand luggage was weighed and absolutely only ONE piece of hand luggage was allowed, so laptop AND handbag is a no no.

I do think the restrictions will stay, at least for the short term anyway. [Frown]

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aXXo:
ohh by the way .. if u will leave Egypt one day with heavey weight i can help u and make u dont pay money at all [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

hey do you think you could work in Luxor during the time I arrive with my 100Kg bags please [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ohh by the way .. if u will leave Egypt one day with heavey weight i can help u and make u dont pay money at all
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey do you think you could work in Luxor during the time I arrive with my 100Kg bags please

i hope i can do this [Big Grin] but u must come and ask my manager to transfer me to Luxor [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
aXXo

Life is good
Member # 12116

hee hee..hey a contact like you could come in handy right enough.
I have a friend who will be flying out from Cairo in 4 weeks. Shame you are not at the Heathrow side though as that is where she will need the help with excess baggage!

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
aXXo, maybe you can tell me what type of things will attract taxes to pay?? I am coming with things like books, cd's and my beloved stereo which I am trying to figure out how to hide in my cases [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
spacedust .. i hope i was in heathrow side too .. at least my salary will be much higher [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ayisha .. things that attract taxes are electric machines, mobiles, expensive watches, but books and CD.s are ok and try to hide ur sterio if it is small in size [Smile] but if the taxes officer ask u about it .. dont deny coz if he doubt ur words and open ur baggage and found it .. [Eek!] so better tell him .. any way u can deal with taxes very easy as along as u have personal things .. not things to trade in Egypt .. coz they will not ask u to pay for ur personal mobile for example ..but u will pay for any other mobiles in ur baggage (if they discoverd) and best of luck ..
my advice : be confident when u speak to the taxes officer

--------------------
aXXo

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
spacedust .. i hope i was in heathrow side too .. at least my salary will be much higher [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ayisha .. things that attract taxes are electric machines, mobiles, expensive watches, but books and CD.s are ok and try to hide ur sterio if it is small in size [Smile] but if the taxes officer ask u about it .. dont deny coz if he doubt ur words and open ur baggage and found it .. [Eek!] so better tell him .. any way u can deal with taxes very easy as along as u have personal things .. not things to trade in Egypt .. coz they will not ask u to pay for ur personal mobile for example ..but u will pay for any other mobiles in ur baggage (if they discoverd) and best of luck ..
my advice : be confident when u speak to the taxes officer

[Big Grin] salary may be higher in Heathrow side but expenses here are rediculously high too [Big Grin]

I am hoping the speakers will go in my case as they are not so heavy but im still trying to find a bag i can put the main part of the stereo in so i can take it onboard as hand baggage

I have only ever been stopped once and that was when I had a DVD burner and 200 blank DVD's for a friend [Big Grin] I just said it was a birthday present and looked afronted that I had been stopped and it was ok

I do want to bring my sewing machine too, so I think I would be charged taxes on that? can you give me any idea how much? is there a set rule and charge for things or is it a case of who you get and what mood hes in on the day?

My husbands uncle works in something to do with airports and tourism etc and he has said i am most likely to be stopped if i am covered? is this normal in your experience?

WHY IS FLOOD CONTROL TELLING ME I CANT POST FOR 180 SECONDS WHEN I HAVE NOT POSTED IN HOURS? [Mad]

aXXo
Member # 12042

Rate Member
actually Ayisha i dont know how much is taxes for any thing .. only taxes officer know .. but as u said .. it depends on the mood .. so u can pay much or little .. this is Egypt .. so every thing is possible [Smile]
and i dont think they stop covered females .. this is not true .. or at least i didnt see this happen and never heared of something like this ..
but as u know Egyptian always try to buy things from outside and sell it in Egypt so they look with suspecious to arabs and african .. so u better show them ur passport [Big Grin] [Big Grin] and dont speak arabic [Smile]

--------------------
aXXo

Life is good
Member # 12116

Take very little in hand luggage and you should get away with it in hold luggage coming from UK side.
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We fly out on the 4th,so will post what I find.
Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Me too, I'm out on the 3rd.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
can you both take a box of books each for me [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol..Ayisha,I would have but have so many orders from other folk allready.
I will be going out again in December and back here before xmas if that is any good?!
So if your in UK then is a possibility.

Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi fellas iam supposed to fly to cairo soon,has the restrictions on hand luggage finally over or what??Cheers!

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Nope,they are still in place from UK side.
You can take a small bag but see the flight operator's guidelines.
Safe journey.

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,now iam in sh.....t

--------------------
www.excitingegypt.co.uk

Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunburnt
Member # 4986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunburnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I flew from Glasgow to Cairo via Amsterdam last week with KLM. UK airports will not let you take any liquids etc through security but they did allow me through with a chain belt, however I had to take that off when I tried to go through security in Amsterdam's all airports operate differently, take nothing to be safe.
KLM gives a huge baggage allowance of 46kl so it is worth travelling with them

Posts: 167 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com