EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Tipping?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tipping?
Elaineuk
Member # 12382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaineuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I will be visiting Egypt beginning of February, I'm a bit worried about tipping (baksheesh)(I think thats how it's spelt. I have been told to tip in British Sterling £1 coins (as I am from England) as it it difficult to get small Egyptian pound notes. But I have also been told by other people that Egyptians don't like coins. I really need some help please on what to tip in and how much.

Thanks

Elaine

Posts: 47 | From: Derbyshire, England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soozi
Member # 11108

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for soozi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't tip £1 coins especially for things like going to the loo.

You are much better off with the small Egyptian notes, and once you've been there a day you will have plenty! [Wink]

Posts: 836 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
dont use pound coins or euro coins, the egyptians cant change them at the banks

use egyptian notes low denominations, i.e. 1 LE, 5 LE and the piastres (I usually keep the low denominations in a separate part of my purse for this)

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, don't give any foreign coins. Couple of times I had hotel employees coming up to me and ask if we could change EURO coins into paper notes. They really don't like to get tipped like that - understandably.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Yes, don't give any foreign coins. Couple of times I had hotel employees coming up to me and ask if we could change EURO coins into paper notes. They really don't like to get tipped like that - understandably.

That just happened to me a few days ago. Someone working in the hotel I was staying at asked me to change some british coins £2.50 for him. I said ok, and tried to give him 2.50LE - well it was 4.30 am and I was extremely tired and not thinking - the look on his face! He said, excuse me normally we would think to have 25LE for that amount. Oops!

Now I have been to Egypt on numerous occasions, I always make sure I have a small wodge of 50pt or 1LE notes to bring back when I leave. The first couple of times I went to Egypt I used 1USD notes because it was virtually impossible to get anything smaller than 50LE from the exchange offices in the UK.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaineuk
Member # 12382

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaineuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your advice. The trouble I'm having is that I can't get hold of small notes from the exchange places in the UK, the smallest notes they can give me are 50LE and 100LE
Posts: 47 | From: Derbyshire, England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine
Member # 11591

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after u have stayed here for one or 2 days you will have plenty off small notes. just ask people to exchange. pretty soon you will be annoyed off all the 25p, 50p and 1 pounds in your wallet. they take alot of space lol
Posts: 712 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elaine,

In my experience, it's much easier to get small notes from the banks in Cairo. In places like Luxor, Aswan, Alexandria, you have to be a little more persisitent. They will give them to you, if you insist nicely! You can also change money at the bank at the airport - giving you ready money for immediate tips.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elaineuk:
Thank you for your advice. The trouble I'm having is that I can't get hold of small notes from the exchange places in the UK, the smallest notes they can give me are 50LE and 100LE

Elaine, in the circumstances, and if you want to be able to tip from the minute you arrive, and as the smallest egyptian note you can get in the UK is 50LE and as the smallest UK note (£5) is worth about 50LE, I would say your best bet is to maybe take 30USD in 1USD notes. At least a note can be changed at a bank by recipients while a coin can't, and its worth about 5-6LE - 50-60p so less value than a £1 coin (about 10LE).
If you take $30, you can use $15 to pay for your visa at the airport, if that's what you're planning to do, and use the rest of the $1 to tip the lady in the toilet etc until you get chance to get small money.
If you are going to go back again, then make sure you keep a small stock of 1LE and 50pt notes with you.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaineuk
Member # 12382

Rate Member
I've been talking to people who have been to Egypt for holidays and they have said that they all tipped in English £1 coins and got treated really well for doing so. I'm really confused now as to what to do. Do you think it depends on what part of Egypt you go to as to whether they prefer £1 coins?
Screw you
Member # 11942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Screw you         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes they get treated really well as £1 is about 10LE

It's difficult for egyptians to change £1,£2 50p etc. So they ask other tourists to change it for them

It's better to tip in egyptian money,and no It doesn't make a difference where you go.

--------------------
Learn from the past.
Live in the present.
Hope for the future.

Posts: 1474 | From: in my own paradise | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's simple. never tip or pay in foreign currency for services. tip LE1 for any quick favors. Like the loo, parking, a guy showing you that *great* spot for a picture at the temple, etc. you will get looks from the greedy people who are going to try to shame you into giving them more. give an outraged look back! given that a lot of people get paid anywhere btw LE 600-3000 a month, those guys make very,very nice salaries in tips even if each tourist just gave 1LE.

tip LE5-10 for bags, room service(depending on how much your food bill is. Tip is usually in the restaurant bill, so round up the bill...ie if it's 89 or 93, leave LE100.

when you land in egypt, there will be foreign exchange banks open. they will claim not to have small change, but insist, move on to the next, one, etc. if you're landing in cairo, you'll have at least 5-6 exchange banks to go through.

if you are being met by someone at the airport as a greet/assist, don't worry about tipping. they expect you not to have any money and expect you'll tip them the next day, or at the end of your stay.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life is good
Member # 12116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life is good         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and remember that they expect far more in the Red Sea Resorts.

10-20 guineas I think is good but not in these places,esp Sharm.

Posts: 316 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaineuk
Member # 12382

Rate Member
OK thanks for all the advice. Will try get hold of small Egyptian notes. Will let my friends know not to tip in coins also as they are going in February too. Thanks
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I was in egypt I took a bag of US quarters.... the kids loved them. I generally tip with LE... but the kids I give them a coin as more of a gift.
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elaine, if you buy your visa at the airport and give them £10, they will give you change in egyptian... and they will always give you some small change.
Are you going to Luxor? If so, you will only need a very small amount for tipping the guy who loads your luggage onto your coach, (and you can ignore him if you wish and not tip him at all). Then you will need a couple of egyptian pounds only for the bellboy who takes your luggage to your room. After that you can change money in the hotel bank, or in any of the banks in the town. Dont change too much money here in the UK, you dont get a good exchange rate. Wait until you get to Egypt. Its very easy, just walk into any bank.
Do not tip in sterling coins.... the egyptians have no way of changing them into egyptian pounds.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaineuk
Member # 12382

Rate Member
Hi Shareen,
we are staying in Sharm El Sheikh, well just outside at Nabq (apparently its a new build area)
I'm worried incase we can't get hold of any small notes for tipping the bellboy when we arrive at the hotel. I'm also worried about there not being any shops where we are, what if we don't like the food(we are all inclusive)
As you have probably guessed I'm a bit of a worrier lol

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont worry Elaine..... you can give him his tip after you change your money. He wont be going anywhere lol.
The food will be just fine... most hotels cater for foreigners, especially if they are all inclusive. And dont worry about shops.... there will be plenty.. but you wont have time for shopping.
Have a great time and stop worrying!

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Elaine,

I will try to answer some of your concerns but they are only from my experience so far from visiting Egypt twice this year.

Tipping - I stayed in an all inclusive resort with my son in April and had a great time, I tipped the bellboy who delivered are luggage to the room - think I gave him an english £5 and he seemed very pleased with that. He also did ask me to change some coins for him that he had gathered and he was quite happy to have this agian in english money. Before I went i was advised to have lots of £1 and £2 coins but I wouldn't advise this, as already suggested the staff have to then exchange them into notes. The other staff I tipped at the end of my holiday and that seemd ok. Any small notes I had during my holiday would go into the bowl in the bar or restaurant as I just didn't like having them!

Visa - If you are getting your visa on arrival at Sharm airport you can either pay £10 and get change in egyptian notes or pay $15, or you can obtain this visa before you leave the UK. You only need this visa if you are travelling out of resort going to Cairo or Luxor, I got it though just in case and have each time I have gone to Sharm. Don't pay anymore for the visa than that stated. I arrived in August and some Egyptian guy thought that he could get the better of us in the queue by requesting £12.00, until I told those queueing not to pay that because the visa actually only costs LE80, i then had an argument with the member of staff, he soon shut up when I told him that I was here to see my Egyptian husband and would get him involved if necessary, evn showed him my passport to prove that he was a con/rip-off merchant!

Also be aware at the airport in Sharm that they will try to charge you £2.00 for the trolley, I found with this one it is just easier to give them the £2.00.

Taxis - Don't know how you are getting to the resort/hotel but if getting a taxi from the airport you shouldn't expect to pay anymore than LE100 or £10, but before you get in the taxi get the price that it will cost because from experience they will try to get more from you. Again when travelling to Nama Bay don't pay anymore than £2.00/£2.50 for a taxi, again be prepared to haggle as they will try to say that it is more than that, once you have been there a few days you will get the gist of things and then if another taxi driver tries to get you to pay more you can say no and that the other day you only paid....!

Food - I enjoyed the food in the hotel that I stayed a bit repetative but was good, watch the Russians though that will pile there plates as though they are having a banquet and they are so rude expecting to be dealt with before anybody else! If you don't like the food in the hotel, there are plenty of restaurants in Nama Bay that will cater for you, even pizza hut, macdonalds and kentucky fried chicken, my son couldn't believe how cheap they are out there, he would have ate there every day but we were there to sample local cultural!

Anyway I am sure you will have a great time, please don't worry, the more information you have before you go the better equipped you will be with what to expect. Any further assistance that you want please feel free to contact me, and please note the above is only my experience from when I have been there, I am sure others on ES can advise you further. Amanda x

Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCOTTISHLADY
Member # 5501

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCOTTISHLADY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Sharm:
Hi Elaine,

Tipping - I stayed in an all inclusive resort with my son in April and had a great time, I tipped the bellboy who delivered are luggage to the room - think I gave him an english £5 and he seemed very pleased with that

You tipped the bellboy £5?????? And he only SEEMED very pleased? I am sure he was ecstatic! Do you tip that well in England?
Posts: 33 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Sharm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SCOTTISHLADY - No I don't tip that well in England but after a very long night and day to get to Egypt I wasn't about to start asking to exchange money into LE, and also knew about the giving the coin scenario! We also had a very long walk to get to the chalet!
Posts: 1244 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCOTTISHLADY
Member # 5501

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCOTTISHLADY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol fair enough...... I understand that when you are tired, its easier to just give what you have. Fair comment. But your post did make it sound like it was normal to tip that amount. And it isnt.
Posts: 33 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaineuk
Member # 12382

Rate Member
Thank you so much for the advice, it's been a big help. I definately won't tip in coins now after everyone's advice. I'm a little apprehensive about getting a taxi or bus into Na'ma bay because I don't like confrontation and I will end up paying more than I should for the fare, but the nearest shops are in Na'ma bay, apparently it's an isolated resort that we are going to.
Elaine x

Miss Sharm
Member # 12405

Rate Member
Elaine,

What is the name of the resort that you are going to, I might know someone that works their that can help you out with these 'confrontational' situations when you are there.
Certainly no problem to give you my advice from my personal experiences - it might have something to do with working in the travel and tourism industry for nearly 4 years when I was younger! Also I don't like to think of fellow people getting ripped off! If you have any further questions please feel free to post them and I will try to answer or send me a pm. Above all else though have a great time and I am sure that you will fall in love with Egypt.
Amanda x

Des
Member # 9479

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Des     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we came back from Taba a few weeks ago, wife went
to the loo and when she didn't return for a while, became worried only for her to emerge with
loads of £1 coins, been money changing with the locals!! [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 97 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaineuk
Member # 12382

Rate Member
Hi Amanda,
we are staying in a small place called Dabq near Sharm El Sheikh, the hotel that we are staying in is The Nubian Village Hotel.
Des what a nice place to be exchanging money! lol.

Elaine x

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
taxi should be LE50. You're being ripped off at LE100.
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi des iam worried about you, have you been back out?
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com