EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Look at this and test your English skills... if you dare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look at this and test your English skills... if you dare
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this then guys, this is part of the exam my little poor brother had to go through , give it a go, we know some of you are brilliant grammatical peeps, however, try and imagine yourself as my little poor brother…. Insert what you think is the correct answer from the list beneath the statement.

1. We need guaranteed financial ________ before we can start the design work.
A, agreement B, backing C, analysis D, plans

2. The cliffs on this part of the coast are being ________ by the sea.
A, worn B, eroded C, demolished D, deteriorated

3. Guy was _________ the conspiracy because of his friendship with the conspirators
A, caught in B, taken in C, drawn into D, pulled by

4. While on holiday Walter and Daisy were caught ______ a military coup
A, into B, up in C, with D, out of

5. Attendance at the Council meeting was very ______
A, poor B, small C, slack D, limited

6. The Police promised him _________ from prosecution if he cooperated
A, safety B, protection C, immunity D, absolution

7. In this quiz you will have the chance to ________ your wits against the most intelligent people in England
A, set B, pit C, try D, sharpen

8. More than 30 people _______ evidence to the court during the 4 week trial
A, gave B, explained C, produced D, spoke

9 The lawyer claimed that the tests had been carried out by experienced scientists but this is not necessarily _________
A, so B, the way C, thus D, the method

10. His ideas about the future of the company did not ________ with those of the chairmen
A, fit B, go along C, tally D, suit

11. _____ we understand his reasons, we cannot condone his behavior
A, even if B, only if C, what if D, as if

12. I don’t think that this fashion will ________
A, catch on B, catch up C, catch out D, catch ever

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mother Egypt.
As a native English speaker I can tell you most of these questions have more than one right answer. I feel so sorry for your little brother. What are his teachers hoping to achieve with a test like this. Or maybe they do not know the language too well themselves. This is not a test more someone trying to be clever and trip you up. That's not teaching. Really hope he managed to get through it if it was important.

[This message has been edited by Penny (edited 26 March 2004).]

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MotherEgypt
Member # 3700

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MotherEgypt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he already has done with the test and he was asking me to check it for him if he did the right answers or not , i had a look and i stared to him and loooooooooool

his teacher is an American one ,,,,lol

Posts: 565 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrina
Member # 3747

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by katrina (edited 21 May 2004).]

Posts: 995 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
softouch
Member # 3774

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for softouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. We need guaranteed financial "backing" before we can statrt the design work.
2. The cliffs on this part of the coast are being "eroded" by the sea.
3. Guy was "drawn into" the conspiracy because of his friendship with the conspirators.
4. While on holiday Walter and Daisey were caught "up in" a military coup.
5.Attendance at the council meeting was very "limited".
6. The police promised him "immunity" from prosecution if he cooperated.
7. In this quiz you will have the chance to "pit" your wits against the most intelligent people in England.
8. More than 30 people "gave" evidence to the court during the 4 week trial.
9. The lawyer claimed that the test had been carried out by experienced scientists but this is not necessarily "so".
10. His ideas about the future of the company did not "go along" with those of the chairman.
11. "Even if" we understand his reasons, we cannot condone his behavior.
12. I don’t think that this fashion will "catch on".

Is thar a teacher to grade this here paper?
I ain't got much book larnin.

Posts: 29 | From: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said?? If you can keep your cool, when all your homies, Are freaking out and lay the rap on you, If y'all can hang easy when no mother buys your bag, But still take heat for those that do the dirty; If you can chill and not be beat by chilling or being bad mouthed, don't lay bad vibes too. Or being dissed, don't start dissing. And yet not be super fly, nor crack on.

Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masreya_awy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jag, isn't that the slang version of : IF????

quote:
Originally posted by jaguar:
Who said?? If you can keep your cool, when all your homies, Are freaking out and lay the rap on you, If y'all can hang easy when no mother buys your bag, But still take heat for those that do the dirty; If you can chill and not be beat by chilling or being bad mouthed, don't lay bad vibes too. Or being dissed, don't start dissing. And yet not be super fly, nor crack on.

Posts: 45 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaguar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monica.... be my girl, and that's the slang for That's my girl
Posts: 477 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Masreya_awy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jag, if you can fly to Malta...by Monday! It's a YES!
Monica

quote:
Monica.... be my girl, and that's the slang for That's my girl

Posts: 45 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
If it is a threat.... Well, Malta it is.
Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Masreya_awy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shall be waiting!!
And, for your info there is only 1 flight from Cairo on sunday, at 1: pm
Deal?

quote:
If it is a threat.... Well, Malta it is.

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
D E A L
and then DEAL Heliopolis

Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
My brother is arriving here on sunday, it could be interesting!
Plus, we can fly to Cairo all together??
What about translating this in slang?

Monica

quote:
D E A L
and then DEAL Heliopolis

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
Great Monica... Yea, then we could just roost and get them heads together, about how to groove and ride the love vibe down.

PS.. To go for it or play kittie, that's the call.. (to be or not to be)
See you...........................

[This message has been edited by jaguar (edited 26 March 2004).]

Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masreya_awy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jag, there's only ONE person in this world that would dare to ask me to be his girl with that confidence...in public!
No question about it!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jaguar:
[b]Great Monica... Yea, then we could just roost and get them heads together, about how to groove and ride the love vibe down.

PS.. To go for it or play kittie, that's the call.. (to be or not to be)
See you...........................

[This message has been edited by Masreya_awy (edited 26 March 2004).]

jaguar
Member # 3378

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Masreya_awy:
No question about it!

Monica,,, this is magic, this is crazy cool, everything coming up roses, folks on the up and up.
A.H

Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
A.H.
You were able to hide your ID for months...
but IF....sold you!

I started to feel it, when you mentioned the black and red tulip!!!

Wooow~
See you sunday!
How is mother?
Can't believe this!
Monica

quote:
Monica,,, this is magic, this is crazy cool, everything coming up roses, folks on the up and up.
A.H

longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, I'm a real sucker for grammar tests. I agree with all the answers given previously except those for questions 5 and 10. I got 5A and 10C.

Why couldn't the attendance be poor? The more I think about it, "His ideas about the future of the company did not _tally_ with those of the chairmen" sounds about right.

I agree with the poster who said most of them have more than one answer. If it's any consolation, I found the first question especially ambiguous.

Just my 2¢ worth. :-)

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gosh, that test is very,very difficult. I pity your poor little brother. How old is he to have to go through a test like that? It's horrendous and has got my brain in a real tiz-woz.That may be the cold though. I am bored coz I am ill therefore no party tonight!! But I am not so bored as to even attempt that test thing!!
P.S. Congratulations Jaguar and Masreya_awy !!!

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com