EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Humanized or Others -- Computer Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Humanized or Others -- Computer Question
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 5 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

I was sitting in this conference today in Chicago that was supposed to be about health care delivery, but it ended up being about economies in different countries, particularly the technological component.

So I was wondering about Egypt. Are there formal training programs for computer programming? If so, at what levels? High school? College? Can you earn a college degree in computer engineering? Private courses? Or is a lot, or most, self-taught?

Thanks!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Hello.

I was sitting in this conference today in Chicago that was supposed to be about health care delivery, but it ended up being about economies in different countries, particularly the technological component.

So I was wondering about Egypt. Are there formal training programs for computer programming? If so, at what levels? High school? College? Can you earn a college degree in computer engineering? Private courses? Or is a lot, or most, self-taught?

Thanks!

Several universities in Cairo public and private offer Computer Science degree programs, Ain Shams and AUC being the most sought after by employeers.

In the Computer Science circulumn they require a student to take programming classes, mainly Java and C++.

Of course many other courses on computer assembly languages, structured programming and database management using SQL is required of many of these degrees.

But there are a few 'Horizons' testing centers that allow Egyptians to be certified in CompTIA, Cisco, Oracle and Microsoft certifications to be competitive with foreign workers. I know there is a 'Horizons' testing center in Heliopolis. I saw it while on route to Merryland, my head turned around so fast I strained my neck muscles severly. I can't tell you how happy I was to see a testing/certification center and not need to fly back to the USA to update my certifications.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLEASE SONOMOD, I NEED FULL CONTACT INFORMATION OF THOSE HORIZONS CENTERS N THE NEAREST THEY ARE TO MAADI THE BETTER IT IS.

THANK YOU FOR DFINING OUR TECHNOLOGICAL EDUCATION TO PEOPLE IN THAT HONORABLE MANNERS AND INFORMATION.

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Humanized     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello.

Thanks!

Hi snoozin
I guess sonomod said it all
Also we should thank the multinational corporates helping in computer-science development.
Projects , funds and marketing were the main reasons of developing computer-science in egypt. many talented programmers found what they were looking for in companies like
Vodafone, mobinil and Gov/army organizations...etc
And i mean the more dedicated courses and programs that you cant learn in college or a training center.

Posts: 817 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

Several universities in Cairo public and private offer Computer Science degree programs, Ain Shams and AUC being the most sought after by employeers.

In the Computer Science circulumn they require a student to take programming classes, mainly Java and C++.

Of course many other courses on computer assembly languages, structured programming and database management using SQL is required of many of these degrees.

But there are a few 'Horizons' testing centers that allow Egyptians to be certified in CompTIA, Cisco, Oracle and Microsoft certifications to be competitive with foreign workers. I know there is a 'Horizons' testing center in Heliopolis. I saw it while on route to Merryland, my head turned around so fast I strained my neck muscles severly. I can't tell you how happy I was to see a testing/certification center and not need to fly back to the USA to update my certifications.

Thanks for all the info!

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Humanized:
Hi snoozin
I guess sonomod said it all
Also we should thank the multinational corporates helping in computer-science development.
Projects , funds and marketing were the main reasons of developing computer-science in egypt. many talented programmers found what they were looking for in companies like
Vodafone, mobinil and Gov/army organizations...etc
And i mean the more dedicated courses and programs that you cant learn in college or a training center.

Hello, H!

Good to know....

Do kids have access to computers in public schools?

Also, when my fiance was in public school, he was *tracked* into a particular major in college due to grades. The highest scorers when into medicine, the next highest went into accounting, or something like that.

Are colleges and universities still the same? Just curious...

Humanized
Member # 8471

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Humanized     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello, H!

Good to know....

Do kids have access to computers in public schools?

Also, when my fiance was in public school, he was *tracked* into a particular major in college due to grades. The highest scorers when into medicine, the next highest went into accounting, or something like that.

Are colleges and universities still the same? Just curious...

i guess all kids have access to computer nowdays "in schools" but im not sure about the quality of training.

About colleges-grades it's still the same with new modifications.
higher grades for higher colleges [ but who determines which college is higher]?
but who cant study the science of his dream for free can always pay and join one of the new colleges[open education] in egypt.

[This message has been edited by Humanized (edited 07 September 2005).]

Posts: 817 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Humanized:
i guess all kids have access to computer nowdays "in schools" but im not sure about the quality of training.

About colleges-grades it's still the same with new modifications.
higher grades for higher colleges [ but who determines which college is higher]?
but who cant study the science of his dream for free can always pay and join one of the new colleges[open education] in egypt.

[This message has been edited by Humanized (edited 07 September 2005).]

Are there scholarships for higher education?

Sorry to ask all these questions about it....the more I ask, the more questions I have.

Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I had a scholarship with IBM in cooperation with the Egyptian Ministry of Communications, it is organized every 6 months.
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are there scholarships for higher education?

Sorry to ask all these questions about it....the more I ask, the more questions I have.

What scholarships, the government pays for your college education granted that its a public university and you go into the degree major they choose for your according to your grades.

Which again you need above 94% to get into medical school, 94-97% for pharmacy, then engineering, then vetrinarian, then 84% and above for business, then education (teaching) is anything above 64%. Kinda scarry isn't it?

But no scholarships, just go to college for what they assign your for or your pay out of pocket.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:
PLEASE SONOMOD, I NEED FULL CONTACT INFORMATION OF THOSE HORIZONS CENTERS N THE NEAREST THEY ARE TO MAADI THE BETTER IT IS.

THANK YOU FOR DFINING OUR TECHNOLOGICAL EDUCATION TO PEOPLE IN THAT HONORABLE MANNERS AND INFORMATION.

I don't live in Egypt. Why not go open a yellow pages and look yourself?

loborules
Member # 5457

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for loborules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:

Mr. Corvinous

Egypt
This country is served by the United Arab Emirates registration office and regional Middle East Web Site
Sun Microsystems (UAE) Ltd.
Dubai Internet City, Bldg. 15
P.O. Box 50769, Dubai
United Arab Emirates
Telephone: 971 4 366 2600
Facsimile: 971 4 366 2626
E-mail: ses_ae@sun.com
Web Site

Cairo

Linux Plus Information Systems L.L.C
Sun Educational Services Division

Saray El-Maadi Tower, Office Building.
35A Cornich El-Nil, Maadi
Cairo, Egypt.
Postal Code: 11431 Maadi
Egypt.

Tel: +202 - 527 66 16, +202 - 524 0 745
Fax: +202 - 526 10 55
Email: sun@linux-plus.com
www.linux-plus.com

Posts: 816 | From: On top of a dog house | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com