EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Hints, Tips or Other Observations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hints, Tips or Other Observations
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I live in Northern Ireland and I'm thinking of up and moving to Egypt. I was there once before for a month in 1989. The more seriously I think about it, the more concerns start to grow in my mind.

What are the chances of finding non-shared rental accomodation for a single male, with a phone line and capable of installing broadband internet, in Cairo, in somewhere like Zamalek for, say, 1000LE? I've read the best way to find rentals is to walk around asking the bowabs, but it's difficult to get an idea what to expect to pay for basic accomodation without actually going there. Am I being too optimistic?

Also, I have a question about the water. I know tourists are advised to buy bottled water. But what happens if you settle for a little longer. Do you keep buying bottled water or can you generally drink the tap water after you acclimatize and provided you live in an area where the water is good.

I have some more questions and I guess I might as well ask them at once. I'm just wondering what the chances are of buying English language books in Cairo. How about a library? It's just a thought. I'm something of a bookworm. I'm sure I can always buy from Amazon.

Another thought is whether I might actually be better to opt for Alexandria. Is accomodation generally more expensive in Alex, or don't you think so.

I would be most grateful for any replies, hints, tips or other observations. Many thanks.

best, longusername

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Hi, well you have been the last time in 1989 and definitely many things have changed.

Well if you would like to settle in Zamalek you would have to pay more for a comfortable appartment or you share one with a flatmate.

About the water: I - as a foreigner - was always extrem cautious about the water and was just drinking bottled water. But I know Egyptians in general drink the tap water.

About English language books: You will find plenty of book stores in Cairo who will be able to fulfil your needs. They also have a variety of french, german, spanish and italian books.

I would like to ask you something. Do you think about to move to Egypt for the rest of your life? Did you save up enough money or will you be looking for a job?

Do you speak/write Arabic? It is very useful to know it if you want to live there.

I also would recommend to go on a vacation to Cairo and check out the situation and if this is really what you want then go for it.

Good luck!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for longusername     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think about to move to Egypt for the rest of your life?

No, but maybe for a year or two.

Did you save up enough money or will you be looking for a job?

I work on the internet. I get paid by the web site so I can work anywhere I can get an internet connection in theory.

Do you speak/write Arabic?

I did study Arabic in the evenings for a while and I started learn elementary modern standard arabic, but I didn't get very far and I can't remember very much now.

It is very useful to know it if you want to live there.

Yes, well, I could get some tapes and try to learn it again. Language might be a problem.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
I'm wondering what sort of things have changed since 1989?
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everything is very expensive. the pound was around 3-3.5 per dollar throughout most of the 1990s, then in a matter of 2 years, it's doubled while salaries have remained fixed for most people.

imported items that were hard to find are also now pretty much the norm. ie it's not expats that are buying imported things, but local egyptians...which means doubling of the dollar has a huge affect rate.

zamalek, along with maadi, is the most expensive area to rent and caters to expats who have a fixed, non-transferrable housing allowance from their companies. flats typically rent for $1,000, not LE1000. try going across the water to dokki and mohandessin and you can find something nice for LE2000 with a lot of looking. 1 bedrooms are rare, so you will probably be looking to rent 2 bdrm, even if you don't need the room.

Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Living for Egyptians in general is expensive not for foreigners with their country typical salary; especially after 9/11 the Egyptian pound lost immense value.

You will always be charged more rent as a foreigner. As you mentioned shop around a bit and ask the doormen; also check out local advertisings in markets and newspapers.
We also have a classified section here on ES so you might want to put up your own ad.

But I guess you know your way around there. So anyway good luck!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
Thanks for the suggestion of Mohandeseen.
This one looks pretty good just as a for instance. http://www.e-dar.com/cgi-bin/newedar/newedarasp.pl?db=resd&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=19552&query=retrieval
Alternative url: http://tinyurl.com/3hepj

In rural Northern Ireland, for the same amount, the best I could do is a pokey little room in a shared house. I'm tempted to take this place even though I know it's better to look around after arriving.

I also know it gets extremely hot in the summer, but I think I could take it. I wonder whether computers tend to overheat in the summer months?

Also, what's it like in Mohandeseen. How many miles is it from the center?

Much as I sympathise will Egyptians for the sharp slump in the pound, I can't help feeling it is good for expats. I am earning my money in US dollars quite independently of where I am located. I guess if the pound rallies I could be in trouble though.

longusername
Member # 1428

Rate Member
One other thing I was wondering. I'd quite like to be able to read Arabic. Is it better to learn Modern Standard, or Egyptian Arabic?

Sorry to fire so many questions at you at once, but I'm starting to seriously think of doing this after pondering it for a long time.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com