EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » comments and opinions welcome!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: comments and opinions welcome!
kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dearest friends

i would love your opinions about a topic my friends and myself were discussing the other night - it partly sprang from my thoughts and discussions with newman in his thread about love and money and the last comment i made (as a bit of a joke actually) about joining a dating agency.

well it transpired that a friend of mine has joined an internet dateing agency - at first she was met with suprise and a few jokes but after listening to her reasoning i did not think it was such a bad idea
her reasons were
she did not meet people at work as she has known them for years and most are married
she finds it difficult to meet new people as our circle of friends tho large tends to stay the same
the guys she meets on a night out tend to be after one thing only - not a relationship

i wondered what you all thought of the idea of internet dating - from a western and an egyptian view
she says she has chatted by email to some lovley people and even met one or two - no romance yet but some good new friends
at least you can get to talk to people who are wanting what you want
i reread monicas thread about virtual friendships vs real ones but thought this took the idea a bit father

looking forward to seeing what you all think
much love
kay

Posts: 128 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiggleGirl
Member # 3822

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for GiggleGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kay in love:
dearest friends

i would love your opinions about a topic my friends and myself were discussing the other night - it partly sprang from my thoughts and discussions with newman in his thread about love and money and the last comment i made (as a bit of a joke actually) about joining a dating agency.

well it transpired that a friend of mine has joined an internet dateing agency - at first she was met with suprise and a few jokes but after listening to her reasoning i did not think it was such a bad idea
her reasons were
she did not meet people at work as she has known them for years and most are married
she finds it difficult to meet new people as our circle of friends tho large tends to stay the same
the guys she meets on a night out tend to be after one thing only - not a relationship

i wondered what you all thought of the idea of internet dating - from a western and an egyptian view
she says she has chatted by email to some lovley people and even met one or two - no romance yet but some good new friends
i reread monicas thread about virtual friendships vs real ones but thought this took the idea a bit father

much love
kay

Ok, I guess this is a Western point of veiw here! I say that there's nothing wrong in it if you have tried all the other ways of meeting people and are not successful. But don't do it as a first approach. It is always better to meet the person in person (hope you know what I mean there). But good luck to her, I hope she finds someone!!

[This message has been edited by GiggleGirl (edited 04 April 2004).]

Posts: 293 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nesrine
Member # 3861

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nesrine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

it is not bad idea and many people marry this way it is the same like you meet person from internet chat. my best friend married from internet chat and good person and also i know many people married this way. i think is not bad

Posts: 47 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masreya_awy
Member # 3866

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Masreya_awy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear kay,

Super topic here!
Think of the wonderful reward if indeed the person you meet through internet dating, is a correct decent human being, and that you are sure he is the one he pretends to be etc... Imagine being loved for your personality FIRST!!! I think that on itself is wonderful!

It's a great idea for those who are single!

Cheers!
Monica

quote:
dearest friends

her reasons were

much love
kay

[This message has been edited by Masreya_awy (edited 04 April 2004).]

Posts: 45 | From: Cairo Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
a friend of mine

Does your friend’s name starts with the letter “K”?
In my opinion … the Internet is a world that is parallel to our material world … it’s a cyber world.
So it’s like life itself … when you walk in the street you find good people, bad people, courteous people and exploiting people … etc.

Online dating is an ideal door to let people have the guts meeting others. The responsibility remains at one’s own hand … how to deal with people they meet online.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adoula
Member # 2346

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Adoula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think finding someone on the internet is not really different then finding someone in real life.

That is true as long as the other one doesn't lie and pretend to be someone who he/she isn't really.

That's the problem. Coz a lot of people 'hide' behind the net. But if you are honest, it does work.

I am sure in a few years time kids will wonder that you haven't met your partner on the internet...

------------------
Regards
adoula777@yahoo.com

Posts: 544 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EgyptianDoc77
Member # 3777

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EgyptianDoc77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kay in love:
[B]dearest friends

Morning friends,
Well the idea of dating by unconventional means has been in use for ages now and just the method tends to change as life goes on and new technologies implemented.

Dating long time ago in the egyptian community was through the traditional means " khatba" and traditional family marriages which is not much different of that net dating in the sense that u come to know ur partner through a photo, through other peoples comment upon him, through newspaper advertisments and many ways...

Even nowadays there has been a TV show concerned with that idea of marriage , showing brides on tv and exposing them to the public and then grooms would propose for them based on that prelimenary qualities they seen of them and after dating there is a time gap for letting them both get to understand more b4 indulging in marriage

the idea is not strange and still no decison should be taked upon that only..

Pretending could be in real life, and not just over internet, that who pretends on internet will be the same person pretending in real life and thats why a time gap is given for assessing eachother and understanding eachother more after the prelimenary choice through the net or any other media, and thats basically what happens during engagment..so its good for a prelimenary start to perhaps figure out some qualities u would like in ur perfect man or woman but still it shouldnt be a decisive step. let more time for understanding after u meet and thats " engagment"..

some reasons could exist for seeking dates through net and u mentioned some of them Kay_in_love and they are all true

I myself know a couple of people who met not by dating agencies but through some chat programs and now enjoying their marriages.

Likewise u would meet someone by chance anywhere u just get hooked up on perhaps his attitude, his figure, his apparent character, his or her looks but still u didnt build up the whole opinion about her unless u meet oncce, twice, 3, 4 and 10 times and may be more.. like wise is dating by agencies, good for a start through seeking some qualities u need and afterwards judge upon the rest...

Its a part of whats happening now, and its growing and its not bad i believe or strange but just needs more time for the seeker to not take a fast decision..

best of luck for all finding the soulmate

------------------
Dr.M.Lotfy
Resident Doctor of Dermatology & Andrology

Posts: 689 | From: Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it can be a useful way to get an introduction but the relationship shouldn't be confined to the net and then suddenly you are going to get married having never met.

After the introduction the next step is a phone call or meeting and so on.

------------------
Jane Akshar UK Co-owner of www.flatsinluxor.co.uk Appartments and Tours in Luxor

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
raymon
no actually my mates name begins with L! - but it did make me laugh when i re read my post! and, actually i will be honest with you my friends, i am thinking of giving it a try!!!
having finally admited to myself that i would like to fall in love i do find myself stuck for meeting new people.

thanks for all your imput i agree with adoula and others that the real world can be as full of dishonesty as the virtual and provided a truthful aproach is adopted by both parties then it could work. and i like the idea that kids will one day be supprised if you didnt meet on line

akshar - i agree that it is a first step only - i know i have been daft in the past but i think i might like to meet a guy before i married him LOL

monica - i too like the idea of talking to someone on a personality only basis - imagine if we were all blind and could only ever judge people on there attitudes and personality (not that im wishing we were all blind) it would be wonderful to fall for someone just based on themselves - gosh i hope i dont turn out to be really shallow!!! lol

doc - love the parralles between old style marrages and the internet - i guess shakespere would have written his plays on a computer if he had had one!

anyway thanks again
much love kay

ps - can i change my nick name to just kay???

Posts: 128 | From: uk | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophia
Member # 3820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EgyptianDoc77:
[B]
Pretending could be in real life, and not just over internet, that who pretends on internet will be the same person pretending in real life and thats why a time gap is given for assessing eachother and understanding eachother more after the prelimenary choice through the net or any other media, and thats basically what happens during engagment..

[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Akshar :

After the introduction the next step is a phone call or meeting and so on.

i think this is the point, it is only at the beginning and not just the whole decision

Posts: 21 | From: Europe | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karinfarid
Member # 3352

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for karinfarid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all,

I think it is a great idea, just as long it starts and ends with honesty and the intention is for a real committment, not just 'dating'.

New technology is great, if it is used in the proper ways!

salam, Karin

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymon
Member # 3727

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Raymon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kay in love,

Why change your name? ... it is a bad omen.
I am sure you have love for someone ...
even if it is a potential love ...

And perhaps you'll find the love of your life soon ... and you will still be the Kay in love.

------------------

Raymon www.youregypt.com

Posts: 288 | From: Egypt | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kay in love
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kay in love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear raymon

thanks for that - i think you have a good point and one i had not thought of

i think i will keep my name - thanks

love kay
XX

BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi kay

i guess it is so much related to monica's thread reality Vs virtual, but it side where u apply all that in real life, it is a step on the way ,ok, u take it as a ladder, when u think that ur personalities are matching , then move to the next step, is he able to be ur friend, then move to the next step, do u feel romance with him, then go up, does he fits with u as a lover and a husband, then move up, , but if a step u could not take, then don't take a risk , cuz u have to be safe and sure for every step, but at last why not, it is like meeting someone in a cafe, but it is a virtual cafe.

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kay, and BoBBoSS,

I remembered a story about an internet relationship. There was a big problem: everything one of the two was writing was copied from some website.

Very few words were real...that type of person should be avoided. Because, at the end of the day: who is the person behind words belonging to others?

Monica

quote:
Originally posted by BoBBoSS:
hi kay

i guess it is so much related to monica's thread reality Vs virtual, but it side where u apply all that in real life, it is a step on the way ,ok, u take it as a ladder, when u think that ur personalities are matching , then move to the next step, is he able to be ur friend, then move to the next step, do u feel romance with him, then go up, does he fits with u as a lover and a husband, then move up, , but if a step u could not take, then don't take a risk , cuz u have to be safe and sure for every step, but at last why not, it is like meeting someone in a cafe, but it is a virtual cafe.

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoBBoSS
Member # 3456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoBBoSS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
helllooo monica

well, never belives someone untill u see his eyes while he is speaking

------------------
BoBBoSS

Posts: 249 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point...but I still feel there are signs of good faith and the opposite...A genuine and sincere communication usually is consistent...and there's a point in time where the 'false' one, gets trapped

quote:
Originally posted by BoBBoSS:
helllooo monica

well, never belives someone untill u see his eyes while he is speaking

Posts: 2385 | From: Heliopolis, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mooly El Din
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mooly El Din     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
Good point...but I still feel there are signs of good faith and the opposite...A genuine and sincere communication usually is consistent...and there's a point in time where the 'false' one, gets trapped

Monica dear you are on line, let us chat then

Posts: 289 | From: Europe | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 2621

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you in Geneva?
and your cold????
quote:
Originally posted by Mooly El Din:
Monica dear you are on line, let us chat then

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to tell you Kay, that I met my husband this way and we have been married almost 2 years now and its still as wonderful as the first day

As a muslimah living in Orlando my options for finding a husband were very limited to say the least, so I posted an ad on one of the many sites online for muslims searching for a spouse.

Things clicked immediately between my husband and I and we spent 6 months online getting to know each other better. He sent me a "one-way" ticket here to Egypt and we were married 3 days after my arrival. I had never met him in person but after the 6 months of calls, online conversations, exchanges of all our personal details, I did not need to spend even one day with him to "reconfirm my feelings". I think that when honestly and respect prevails on both parts, the rest is "easy sailing"

Good luck to you and best wishes in finding that "someone special"

Laura

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com