EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Shiites and Sunnites

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shiites and Sunnites
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the difference?
Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shiites have a church system, sunnis don't.
Shiites believe in organised clergy, sunnis don't.
Shiites believe in infallible religious leaders, sunnis don't.
Shiites believe in hereditary rulers, sunnis believe in choosing leaders by consensus.
Shiites believe that clergy can make changes to Isalmic laws, sunnis differ, some don't allow change, some allow it by scholars, and some (like me) believe that not only "scholars" can propose changes to Islamic laws.

These are the basic differences. There are minor differences in rituals, and some that are not as universal (i.e. the difference is clear with some sunnis and unclear when compared to others). Generally Shiites are a bit more flexible and organised when dealing with other people because of their clergy and total obedience shown towards them. For example look at Shiites in Iraq and see how calm they were for a very long time when compared to the much more secular sunnis. But also practicing shiites are a lot more fundamentalist than practicing sunnis, and when you piss them they get pissed in a more organised way, e.g. look at Iran or at Iraqi shiites when they got pissed.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lori
Member # 2390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is the Qur'an different?

Also, can you recognize them by dressing style?

sorry if my questions seem stupid, but I really don't know. A friend of mine made a reference to this yesterday (I don't even know which one she is and am afraid to ask in case I offend her)

Thanks kimo. You are really a kamo (Czech slang for "friend"

Posts: 251 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phagocyte
Member # 4450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phagocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U were very concise in your briefing Kimo but can i disagree with u that i like in shiites how they are flexible and they alwAYS favor what is in the benefit for the muslims unlike the sunnah who are so frozen in their thinking by the toughts of el salaf and their interpretations and discussions .....they are more free in moving within the share3a ...that is what i find admirable in them
Posts: 58 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimo_the_maniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lori:
So is the Qur'an different?

Also, can you recognize them by dressing style?

sorry if my questions seem stupid, but I really don't know. A friend of mine made a reference to this yesterday (I don't even know which one she is and am afraid to ask in case I offend her)

Thanks kimo. You are really a kamo (Czech slang for "friend"

No the Quran is the same in both sects. Hadith is also the same but it holds less weight with shiites.
And about dress, if you mean normal people then not really. Secular shiites and sunnites wear almost the same attire. Religious shiites also wear roughly the same garb, but shiite women usually wear heavier scarves and are more likely to wear veils (persian habit).
If you mean sheikhs and clergy, then definitely yes. Sunni sheikhs wear anything from suits to the attire of the sheikh of azhar. Shiite clergy wear a more disctinctive attire with a coat and a tell tale turban, look at al-sadr for an example.

And your questions are not stupid, believe me even Muslims sometimes don't know the difference between shiites and sunnis.

Posts: 850 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Phagocyte:
U were very concise in your briefing Kimo but can i disagree with u that i like in shiites how they are flexible and they alwAYS favor what is in the benefit for the muslims unlike the sunnah who are so frozen in their thinking by the toughts of el salaf and their interpretations and discussions .....they are more free in moving within the share3a ...that is what i find admirable in them

Actually you are not disagreeing with me. I agree totally! But personally I prefer the personal freedom given by TRUE sunni Islam as opposed to the hierarchial lifestyle of shiites.

But yes I agree with you, extremist shiites are more flexible than e.g. wahabis with their unrealistic clinging to the past.

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**** have same quran but not the same hadith, how can they accept narrations of companions who they mostly damn .Abu Hurairah is one of the main enemies to shite really and of course Omar ra and Abu Bakr..remember the event of fadak.

they mainly accept hadtih of ahl al bayit.they have famous hadith book called al kafi

quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
No the Quran is the same in both sects. Hadith is also the same but it holds less weight with shiites.
And about dress, if you mean normal people then not really. Secular shiites and sunnites wear almost the same attire. Religious shiites also wear roughly the same garb, but shiite women usually wear heavier scarves and are more likely to wear veils (persian habit).
If you mean sheikhs and clergy, then definitely yes. Sunni sheikhs wear anything from suits to the attire of the sheikh of azhar. Shiite clergy wear a more disctinctive attire with a coat and a tell tale turban, look at al-sadr for an example.

And your questions are not stupid, believe me even Muslims sometimes don't know the difference between shiites and sunnis.

Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW shite specially Ithna Ahsriyah do like Egyptians coz Azhar said that thiere way can be followed and it's ok.but the Shikhs of saudi arabia consider much of it Kufra coz shite unfortunatly do insult Aisha ra and have issues with sahabah.but would that count as kufr? I doubt it
Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimo_the_maniac
Member # 1761

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles101:
BTW shite specially Ithna Ahsriyah do like Egyptians coz Azhar said that thiere way can be followed and it's ok.but the Shikhs of saudi arabia consider much of it Kufra coz shite unfortunatly do insult Aisha ra and have issues with sahabah.but would that count as kufr? I doubt it

While I was doing Umra I saw how mottawe3een treated shiites making the pilgrimage in Mecca and Medina. They were practicing open persecution and telling them what they can and can't do and always pushing people around. I visited during the middle of Shaaban, and I noticed that almost all the visitors to Medina were Egyptians and Iranians, these two nationalities have a lot of respect for visiting the prophet.

And about kufr, kufr is saying "there is no God". You can disbelieve in the sahaba and criticise them all you like because they were mere humans who made many mistakes.

Troubles101
Member # 4543

Your right but it's not a mere criticizing.its damning and very bad slander and ascribing kufr to many sahabah.and this is really where all conflicts arise. thats why shite zayediah are more close to sunnie coz they do respect sahabah .

whats intersting Kimo is that shite live day and night on something happned more than thousand of yrs ago,i dont know why they dont just move on and forget about this war happned between sahabah and leave the sahabah for God . they do lotmyat (hit thiere ownselfs in very bloody way) at event of death of husain and they have many other events of smiliar sadness

quote:
Originally posted by kimo_the_maniac:
While I was doing Umra I saw how mottawe3een treated shiites making the pilgrimage in Mecca and Medina. They were practicing open persecution and telling them what they can and can't do and always pushing people around. I visited during the middle of Shaaban, and I noticed that almost all the visitors to Medina were Egyptians and Iranians, these two nationalities have a lot of respect for visiting the prophet.

And about kufr, kufr is saying "there is no God". You can disbelieve in the sahaba and criticise them all you like because they were mere humans who made many mistakes.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com