EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Musical tastes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Musical tastes
bitterwithbaggage
Member # 8645

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bitterwithbaggage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just bought 3 cds with 'Music From Arabia' as the cover says...

Here's the track listing. Tell me do you have any favourites in this list? Which artist would you recommend to listen to more of. And how popular is Arabian Lounge??? (list 3)

More traditional:

1. Farid El Atrache - Hebeena Hebeena
2. Nagat - Sa'al Feya
3. Talal El Madaah - Maza Aqool Wa Qad Himt
4. Talal El Madaah - Maza Aqool Wa Qad Himt
5. Sabah - Ala Eyni Talabatak
6. Ahmad Fat'hi - Shaqek El Ward
7. Oum Kalthoum - Ala Balad El Mahboub
8. Abdallah Balkheir - Leilah
9. Fairuz - Inshallah Ma Bu Shi
10. Majida El Roumi - Ana Am Bihlam
11. George Wassouf - Tabib Garah
12. Samira Tawfic - - Ballaa Tsoubou Hal Kahwa

Pop:

1. Amr Diab - Rajeen
2. Ilham Al Madfai - Khuttar
3. Nawal El Zoughbi - El Layali
4. Aamer Muneeb - Hikayatak Eih
5. Dania - Afrahou Gannouh
6. Assi Al Hilani - Ater Al Mahabah
7. Yuri Mrakidi - Takoulin
8. Elissa - Hilm Al Ahlam
9. Hisham Abbas - Habibi Dah (Nari Narien)
10. Howayda - Aghrab
11. George Al Rassy - Min Ghadr El Hob

Lounge:

1. The 1001 Nights Project Feat Dania [Lebanon] (Transglobal Underground Mix
2. Kareem Al Iraqi - Al Ghurbeh
3. Hasna - Gibran's Wisdom
4. Guy Manoukian - Yasmina
5. Mai & Waheed - Laish Laish Ya Jara
6. Oryx - Awakenings
7. Rida Al Abdallah - Baghdad
8. Yasser Habeeb - Elama
9. Fayez El Saeed - Baleini
10. Ilham Al Madfai - El Tufah (original mix)
11. Jawed Al Ali - El Shoug
12. The R.E.G. Project - Harem

Posts: 106 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very unpoppular and the first 2 are horrible with the first being slightly better.
there are very few nice songs inbetween but far from being the best for each singer.

that's probably my opinion alone, others may tell you quite the opposite..tastes vary you know.

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very unpoppular and the first 2 are horrible with the first being slightly better.
there are very few nice songs inbetween but far from being the best for each singer.

that's probably my opinion alone, others may tell you quite the opposite..tastes vary you know.

!!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bitter:
I have same set box .. bought almost 2 years ago from HMV in London
only few corrections/differences
The cover Called: Beginner's Guide to ARABIA
also for the first CD , you repeated the song for TALAl MADAH twice, In fact song number 2 should be YA MABLIA by KHALED , and song no 3 should be Najat's song then number 4 by TALAL MADAH
IT IS A GREAT SET BOX , as it gives you good idea about different songs from different arabic countries ,, regarding your question about the Lounge CD , they are popular songs among the GULF arabs.. not known by Egyptians for instance.. enjoy listening any way and bythe way where did you buy it from?

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:

!!

don't tell me

Posts: 956 | From: nowhere | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by misfit:
don't tell me

Aa wallahi!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't like that list at all! these singers have much better songs
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bitterwithbaggage
Member # 8645

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bitterwithbaggage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mohsen1000:
Bitter:
I have same set box .. bought almost 2 years ago from HMV in London
only few corrections/differences
The cover Called: Beginner's Guide to ARABIA
also for the first CD , you repeated the song for TALAl MADAH twice, In fact song number 2 should be YA MABLIA by KHALED , and song no 3 should be Najat's song then number 4 by TALAL MADAH
IT IS A GREAT SET BOX , as it gives you good idea about different songs from different arabic countries ,, regarding your question about the Lounge CD , they are popular songs among the GULF arabs.. not known by Egyptians for instance.. enjoy listening any way and bythe way where did you buy it from?

Hi mohsen1000
thanks for your comments - I picked it up from HMV at Heathrow on my way to Cairo. Thought it might be interesting, but I have to listen to it some more. I copied the list from Amazon -apologies I didn't spot the mistake. BTW do you have the Rough Guide compilation I have heard that is a good collection?

7aya - Can you recommend me some albums of the good singers which will have better songs than this?

[This message has been edited by bitterwithbaggage (edited 04 October 2005).]

Posts: 106 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for south_london_male   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Bitter:
When I said it is a great album .. this is depneding on where you came from and what sort of arabic accent you can listen to
if you are an Egyptian so you will not like the album becuse there is not many egyptian songs.. also egyptians do not like to listen to most of the gulf singers.. may be only to mohamed abdu and tala maddah and ofcourse KAZEM Elsaher.. but if you are from Asian arabs then you will consider it as a great album.. depneds on if you can understand the arabic version they use or not ,, but the greatness in this set that it has something for every taste ,, and it is very highley rated SET box in europ for arabic songs, when I bought it was one of the top hits and best selling albums..but by the way if you live in Uk then you still have big chnaces to get many albums from HMV .. but any way these days you can find all the songs online at all formats so you do not need to buy any

Posts: 1373 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
south_london_male
Member # 3917

Rate Member
Bitter do you mean :
Rough Guide to Arabesque
I do not have the but I listend to it and again it is nice one...
if you can tell me where you are from and what is your arabic back ground then I might be able to advise you what to listen to .. I can claim that I have lots of knowledge about media and speically music

pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablowablo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey guys hows it going

When it comes to music i wont find anyone more inlove with it than me although im not really a big fan of arabic music(although some of the older more traditional music has caight my ear) i do respect it because i know the hard work required to write music and to play it as well.
im more into what u would call western music mainly classical and the whole rock/heavy metal genere mostly old classic bands and artists very few new artis show me something i havent heard b4
but like clint eastwood said once
"opinions are like a$$holes everyones got one and everyone is intitled to one"

Posts: 113 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by pablowablo:
the whole rock/heavy metal genere mostly old classic bands and artists

hi, name one band or artist u consider your best

pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pablowablo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
hi, name one band or artist u consider your best

hard to say at the top of my head ill have to say

Savatage , Dream Theater , Iron Maiden , Symphony X , Dio
they all have diff. styles it really depends on my mood

Posts: 113 | From: cairo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
egyptian_gurl
Member # 9034

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for egyptian_gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked the traditional set of songs although i believe that there are better songs for all those singers.
i would recommend listening to more of Fayruz, Nagat, Magda el roomy. i love them very much , but as some of you have just said: tastes differ

Posts: 90 | From: Cairo,Egypt, | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
misfit
Member # 8880

Rate Member
quote:
Savatage , Dream Theater , Iron Maiden , Symphony X , Dio

that's not classical rock man what do you call cream, free and led zeppelin then?

i like iron maiden and dio though, a bit noisy but nice.

pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pablowablo:
[b] Savatage , Dream Theater , Iron Maiden , Symphony X , Dio

that's not classical rock man what do you call cream, free and led zeppelin then?

i like iron maiden and dio though, a bit noisy but nice.[/B][/QUOTE]

well theres abit of a diff. between classical type metal and classic rock i do like zepplin and floyed
what i mean buy classical metal or neo classical is that they actually play classical scores with a metal twist. most enjoyable u should give it a shot

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is *Lounge* music?

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
What is *Lounge* music?

not too sure i think its like chill-out music

redmarrakesh
Member # 8201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for redmarrakesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bitterwithbaggage:
I have just bought 3 cds with 'Music From Arabia' as the cover says...

Here's the track listing. Tell me do you have any favourites in this list? Which artist would you recommend to listen to more of. And how popular is Arabian Lounge??? (list 3)

More traditional:

1. Farid El Atrache - Hebeena Hebeena
2. Nagat - Sa'al Feya
3. Talal El Madaah - Maza Aqool Wa Qad Himt
4. Talal El Madaah - Maza Aqool Wa Qad Himt
5. Sabah - Ala Eyni Talabatak
6. Ahmad Fat'hi - Shaqek El Ward
7. Oum Kalthoum - Ala Balad El Mahboub
8. Abdallah Balkheir - Leilah
9. Fairuz - Inshallah Ma Bu Shi
10. Majida El Roumi - Ana Am Bihlam
11. George Wassouf - Tabib Garah
12. Samira Tawfic - - Ballaa Tsoubou Hal Kahwa

Pop:

1. Amr Diab - Rajeen
2. Ilham Al Madfai - Khuttar
3. Nawal El Zoughbi - El Layali
4. Aamer Muneeb - Hikayatak Eih
5. Dania - Afrahou Gannouh
6. Assi Al Hilani - Ater Al Mahabah
7. Yuri Mrakidi - Takoulin
8. Elissa - Hilm Al Ahlam
9. Hisham Abbas - Habibi Dah (Nari Narien)
10. Howayda - Aghrab
11. George Al Rassy - Min Ghadr El Hob

Lounge:

1. The 1001 Nights Project Feat Dania [Lebanon] (Transglobal Underground Mix
2. Kareem Al Iraqi - Al Ghurbeh
3. Hasna - Gibran's Wisdom
4. Guy Manoukian - Yasmina
5. Mai & Waheed - Laish Laish Ya Jara
6. Oryx - Awakenings
7. Rida Al Abdallah - Baghdad
8. Yasser Habeeb - Elama
9. Fayez El Saeed - Baleini
10. Ilham Al Madfai - El Tufah (original mix)
11. Jawed Al Ali - El Shoug
12. The R.E.G. Project - Harem

I think it's not very representative of the best Med.East songs.
There is one classic ,called "Gems of the Middle East" but I'm not sure what style you looking for.It may not be modern enough for your taste but if you like traditionals also ,don't miss this collection!

Posts: 182 | From: greece | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
quote:

i like iron maiden and dio though, a bit noisy but nice.[/B]

if u like dio and maiden then ull love savatage
try a song called morphine child, man in the mirror or when the crowds are gone
briliant songs

bitterwithbaggage
Member # 8645

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by redmarrakesh:

I think it's not very representative of the best Med.East songs.
There is one classic ,called "Gems of the Middle East" but I'm not sure what style you looking for.It may not be modern enough for your taste but if you like traditionals also ,don't miss this collection!

I really like traditional so I will look for the collection you mention.

thanks very much.

bitterwithbaggage
Member # 8645

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
What is *Lounge* music?

Erm yes chill out music. Laid back style for relaxing to. Modern instrumentals really.

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
if u like dio and maiden then ull love savatage
try a song called morphine child, man in the mirror or when the crowds are gone
briliant songs

I am a huge Rob Zombie fan. I don't appreciate the lyrics so much the the rhythms are very sexual.

Plus "Wake up the Dead" by Megadeth. Anymore perfect than that?

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bitterwithbaggage
Member # 8645

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by mohsen1000:
Bitter do you mean :
Rough Guide to Arabesque
I do not have the but I listend to it and again it is nice one...
if you can tell me where you are from and what is your arabic back ground then I might be able to advise you what to listen to .. I can claim that I have lots of knowledge about media and speically music

Yes that's the one I mean. Erm I'm English but not sure why you need to know where I am from and my Arabic background to tell me about the music?

pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
I am a huge Rob Zombie fan. I don't appreciate the lyrics so much the the rhythms are very sexual.

Plus "Wake up the Dead" by Megadeth. Anymore perfect than that?

i never really got into rob zombie until i heard supercharger heaven(devilman) n it just blew me away i think the name of the album is "astrocreep" not too sure just recently starting experimenting with music but i love the way how that supercharger heaven and the electrcichead songs are just f*ckin in ur face! metal defently one of those great songs to speed to!

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i never really got into rob zombie until i heard supercharger heaven(devilman) n it just blew me away i think the name of the album is "astrocreep" not too sure just recently starting experimenting with music but i love the way how that supercharger heaven and the electrcichead songs are just f*ckin in ur face! metal defently one of those great songs to speed to!

Electric head is one of those songs I bath to with my good friend the bathtub facet!

Plus his music helps me wash dishes faster, I am so slow at washing dishes!

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pablowablo
Member # 9129

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
Electric head is one of those songs I bath to with my good friend the bathtub facet!

Plus his music helps me wash dishes faster, I am so slow at washing dishes!

i like the little intros he has b4 his songs
i always put a couple of songs in the jukebox in the bar i drink at and i always make the best selections at the right time and in the right order everyone puts their drink down and starts headbanging once mr zombie comes on great music
\m/ Rock On! \m/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com