EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » One to Miss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One to Miss
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading a write up for Scruples in one of the local Hurghada magazines, we thought we would give it a try on Saturday night.

My first impression should have warned me. the place has an odd smell, still be fair I said, give it a chance.

We ordered 1 Stella, 1 Sakkara. 5 minutes later back came the waiter, no sakarra. No problem 2 Stellas please. - 8LE each = 16LE.

ordered 2 Love Nest somethings (can't remember the last part), chicken, beef, veal with large potatoes. 2 portions of garlic bread. Meain meal 35LE each = 70LE. Garlic Bread 2LE each= 4LE.

Meal came, no large potatoes, french fries. Asked the waiter, no answer just a shrug. Oh well on we go, try it. Unfortunately no hacksaws were provided to cut through the meat and the knives just did not cut through.

For drinking, one was a proper glass, the other a plastic beaker.

We were half way through our meal when the waiter came and tried to present the bill. As I later thought, this was perhaps deliberate thinking I wouldn't check, just pay and carry on finishing our meal.

We gave up on the meals and asked for the bill.

We were presented with a bill, no prices written down and told it was 167LE. When I queried it, the waiter (who suddenly found he could speak English a little bit), said service charge.

Upon asking for the menu again, just to double check, and asking to see the manager!
Someone else arrived, same bill, no prices on it, but written on a scrappy piece of paper was 167LE.

I wrote down what we had and how much with 12% add it came to and it definitely was not 167LE. 90LE + 12%

Profuse apologies.

My question for the English woman who is supposed to now own this place is, are you aware that this is happening? I believe you are not and should be fairly warned. How many other tourists are taken in. Even adding the tax the Stella local does NOT come to 15LE each.

Will definitely not be going back there and for those of you who try it for yourselves, check your bill very carefully.

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Semsema my friend.... you've persuaded me!! We'll NOT be going there for our next meeting!!!
Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semsema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely NOT Samia. Have we fixed a venue yet?

By the way, killed two birds with one stone. Found TV place, opposite Post Office. Very good price. Hubby getting it today. Sherry Street, definite for Washing Machine - best prices.

Now need to find kitchen units. Found just along from tv place, a joinery shop with units. LE525 for wall cupboard, 3 door, spice rack below. base unit with 3 cupboards.

How did you get on Sat. night? Let me know. I am also seriously looking around!

Posts: 660 | From: Unfinished City | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatshepsut
Member # 4664

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatshepsut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello semsema,

glad you find the stuff you needed...

for the kitchen, i got mine made by a carpenter, exactly the way i wanted it - for 650 le (two units - one wall cupboard and the bottom part)

ring me....will tell you where

Posts: 127 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonspice
Member # 5667

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonspice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
semsema, i love the way ur taking the revenge from them. Should be effective in a while-smart move. Personally, i'm staying away from that horrifying restaurant..when i go to hurghada-if im lucky,soon..!
Posts: 604 | From: Cairo,Egypt | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Lemonspice, Samia, Hatshepsut,

Thanks. I was wondering if I should perhaps not have posted what I did. I just think it is so unfair, especially to people who don't know any better.

Will you be visiting Hurghada Lemonspice? If so let us know.

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemonspice... I don't think it was a revenge thing... Sem. was talking about going there.. and looking forward to trying it... We asked her to give us a verdict!!
we need a venue for our next meet!!
She is not the vengeful type.... has no reason anyway!!
You're welcome to our next meeting if you're here!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Semsema, malesh, you are in Egypt!
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatshepsut
Member # 4664

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatshepsut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
semsema....

just realised, if i'm not very much mistaken, that there is another "scruples" on the main road...somewehere in the area of thomas cook (on the second floor of a corner house).
well i'm sure it was there a while ago..haven't been looking for a long time - so maybe this is the one they are talking about in the magazine??

just an idea... D: D:

Posts: 127 | From: Egypt | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semsema
Member # 5415

Member Rated:
Sorry folks, day off work yesterday. This particular one is next to the gas station in Dahar on the left hand side not too far before the Government shop.

No it wasn't revenge honestly, and when I find good places I also recommend them.

Thanks for your kind words Samia, you are right, life is tooooo short to be vengeful.

To the other question - yes I live in Hurghada.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com