EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » shipping?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shipping?
hafsa
Member # 1890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hafsa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I are moving this June. I am wondering whether to ship all of our personal belongings or yard sale them. What do you think? I can't get any good approximate figures of cost from any shipping companies here in the US. No one seems to know anything or wants to say.
I would appreciate any information from persons who have lived in the US and shipped to Egypt.
Thanks.

Posts: 138 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in the UK and shipped to Egypt and I would avoid bring anything if you can. I actually moved here for good so bought a lot of personal stuff. It wasn't so much the shipping charges although they were high enough. It was the customs duty I had to pay, which was completely arbitary. Which was eqaul to the costs of shipping.

If you are not coming here for good and have somewhere in the US you can store things, leave them behind. Otherwise really think if you need something before shipping it. We bought a load of things we didn't really need and I thought I had been radical getting rid of stuff.

Either way use it as an excuse to get rid of junk.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eshta
Member # 7338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for eshta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are moving here through a company then I would think they will ship for you. But if you are coming on your own, leave the stuff at home or sell it. Customs are high and it's not worth it. Now if you plan on going back and forth a lot, then you can bring stuff each trip but any big stuff is just not worth it.
Posts: 11 | From: Egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com