EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » You are married to an Egyptian man?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You are married to an Egyptian man?
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

You are a foreign woman and living in Egypt. The ideal case is you converted to Islam. You are trying hard to adapt to a different life style and respect the culture and traditions of your new home.

But how does the society treats you? You certainly have to fight with problems because for some people you will always be a "stranger" - a foreigner. Maybe even some family members of your husband giving you a hard time. How do you deal with that?

I know I know its very personal. Still would like to have your opinions......

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akshar
Member # 1680

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for akshar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you can generalise as every community/family is different. However on the whole I think Egyptians appreciate you trying. They may giggle over your mistakes in private but on the whole they want to make you welcome and they appreciate the compliment you have done by chosing to live in their country.

I think I will always be considered a foreigner but I am very much loved by my family and respected by the community. Certainly no one has given my husband a hard time actually on the contary.

I do get uptight with people that don't know me treating me like a toursit and trying to rip me off but all the ones that know me treat me well.

Posts: 2791 | From: www.flatsinluxor.co.uk, Luxor, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are very lucky to be foreigners in Egypt.
You are treated nicely, either in private or in public even the police treat kindly.

Do you really want to see how a foreign wife of a British man is treated, then come over here to the UK.

You all nagging women, you do not know how lucky you are to be married to an Egyptian and living in Egypt !

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 16 May 2005).]

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
puppy
Member # 6116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for puppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husbands family treat me very nicely, even i am sometimes awful ...and total different than wifes and ladys use to be in this country.
Anyway we dont live in same city ,so we dont have this kind of family life,than it use to be here.

I feel that i get respect ,sometimes i feel they take care of me too much..i feel like i am very special guest in their home,even i like to be more as a part of family..

But i remember very well, when i met first time my husbands family..father in law was asking about me,my family and so...then of course about our future ,do i really love their son...mother in law look me, she didnt talk much..i just kept smiling and past the test..

I dont feel very comfortable with many things here..but because i dont have choice, and i love my husband so much,i make my life good,and enjoy it anyway..at least at home i can be the girl like i am.
My husband is very kind and lovely man and change his lifestyle as i change too...

Anyway here is many nice things in this country, i said to my husband, that i like to live here,when i am old..then nobady look me on the street..i can enjoy more respect,cause i am old..
And i am not so sensitive,cause i am old and have long experience of life.

Posts: 263 | From: Hurghada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salama...where in UK are you?????
Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then there are some females that are just lucky to have a warm body in their life.

I wouldn't matter if he was Chinese, Indian, Angolian or Brazilian she would give the same murky bland answer because it doesn't go very deep for her. She is just there like a slot machine.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gigli
Member # 7682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its so odd isnt it? Islam is wonderfull peacefull. yet there are people who think its there place to judge, not God's. If these people were truly God-fearing they would accept you as a wonderfull person created in God's image and if they feel there are things bothering them would talk to you in a nice way offering religious guidance not judgement and hurt. I know how you feel. If these people know how much it hurts I wonder if they'd keep doing it.
Posts: 458 | From: Egypt | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gigli:
Its so odd isnt it? Islam is wonderfull peacefull. yet there are people who think its there place to judge, not God's. If these people were truly God-fearing they would accept you as a wonderfull person created in God's image and if they feel there are things bothering them would talk to you in a nice way offering religious guidance not judgement and hurt. I know how you feel. If these people know how much it hurts I wonder if they'd keep doing it.

Weak, its a poor excuse for "I am a foreigner and I will in any manner I chose, I have money, my culture is supreme, I will do anything I want anywhere I want."

If you choose to behave in an appalling manner, no matter if you have enough money to cover the damage, it isn't right.

Its like a white man who is on business in a bangladesh. He rapes the maid and throw a few twenty's on her disgrace. Alot of westerner/Egyptian marriages are like this.

Yet, it isn't proper for anyone to judge them. Bull its called protecting the status quo.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by salama:
You are very lucky to be foreigners in Egypt.
You are treated nicely, either in private or in public even the police treat kindly.

Do you really want to see how a foreign wife of a British man is treated, then come over here to the UK.

You all nagging women, you do not know how lucky you are to be married to an Egyptian and living in Egypt !

[This message has been edited by salama (edited 16 May 2005).]

nagging women= yes you are indeed

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com