EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » red sea city decay?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: red sea city decay?
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for epose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to what I've been reading on this website, and from what I've been hearing, the red sea cities have been invaded by eurotrash and their counterparts from n.a. I haven't been to sharm in a while, and I used to go just for the scenary and the opportunity to breath some fresh air. Now it's transforming into a large disco. Another ibiza rather then cot d'zure. Feel free share your opinions and/or experiences.
Posts: 29 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scooter seller
Member # 8179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scooter seller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the cote d'azur is full of Middle eastern trash too - where can we, the creme de la creme go? I wonder.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for epose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scooter seller:
Well the cote d'azur is full of Middle eastern trash too - where can we, the creme de la creme go? I wonder.

I wasn't aware that scooter sellers were considered the creme de la creme of europe. Apparently I got under you skin, which was of course my intention. But given the lack of procreation among europeans, it's only a matter of time before more than just the cot d'azure becomes full of middle eastern trash.

Posts: 29 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scooter seller
Member # 8179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scooter seller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it depends how many scooters we manage to sell doesn't it ? The Rothschild's started off as seedy money lenders in frankfurt...

Well, you can always stay at the Four Seasons in Sharm, definitely not disco-land, but then , it lacks identity..you could be in any luxurious resort in the world.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by scooter seller:
it depends how many scooters we manage to sell doesn't it ? The Rothschild's started off as seedy money lenders in frankfurt...

Well, you can always stay at the Four Seasons in Sharm, definitely not disco-land, but then , it lacks identity..you could be in any luxurious resort in the world.

the rothchilds are still seedy money lenders who managed to monopolize the creation of credit. I believe the proper term would be "economic parasites." furthermore, you're confusing quantity with quality. digits don't denote dignity. a quick survey of the contemporary "elite," particularly in egypt, should convince anyone of that. but, I suppose it's the nature of the times. what makes sharm special is the beautiful landscape and the lack of city atmosphere. the simplicity and purity of nature. it's an opportunity to escape the noise and filth of the cities and the masses, not an enclave for the rich. as you said, one can burn money in any resort or hotel anywhere in the world.

scooter seller
Member # 8179

Rate Member
I still disagree.
Most of the european aristocrats have seedy or very modest origins...and I believe the Rothschilds are quite a successful bunch now..bravo...excellent wine : mouton Rohschild.
Trace the Hapsburgs origins, and you'll realize they were not very dignified either.
But I agree with you with regards to "digits don't denote dignity", specially with the new 'class' here in Egypt..they are so vulgar, it is incredible.

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I saw decaying in Sharm was the brand new concert venue, totally without publicum and out of use.

Otherwise the course of events is the same everywhere - first you have a charming seaside village. Then some celebrities feverishly looking for a place to feel like "normal people" , or any new as yet unboring place, find it and cannot keep the secret. Next all wannabes and celebrity-watchers move in. Then come the developers with high rise hotels and holiday villages, and masses and masses of people for whome quality and difference in vacations is determined by the breakfast table and amenities in the bathroom. after that real fatigue sets in and after a while the "civilization" moves on to its next discovery.

BTW which royal houses do you each represent if I may ask? really hate snobs. Go to the Ritz-Carlton and stay in the (mechanical) piano bar smoking cigars for the whole week! Problem solved!

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scooter seller
Member # 8179

Rate Member
Von Thyssen Bornemisa - also of modest origins and selling scooters nowadays.

[This message has been edited by scooter seller (edited 30 June 2005).]

epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
I think you've got me all wrong. I occasionally ride the metro and enjoy my koshary like everyone else. But, you can't blame us for expressing our displeasure at the bothersome exploits of "hany" and "dina." Nevertheless, thank you for the short dissertation on the evolution of civilizations.
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by epose:
According to what I've been reading on this website, and from what I've been hearing, the red sea cities have been invaded by eurotrash and their counterparts from n.a. I haven't been to sharm in a while, and I used to go just for the scenary and the opportunity to breath some fresh air. Now it's transforming into a large disco. Another ibiza rather then cot d'zure. Feel free share your opinions and/or experiences.

You will not find out what Sharm is like by reading this site. If you can ride a horse and go into the desert, or have two feet to walk with on the cliffs above the sea you will find all the fresh air you could wish for in a lifetime. Yes there are a few clubs/ discos that make up a part of the evening entertainment but there are far more cafes where you can just sit, talk and watch the world go by, and listen to the prayer call from the mosque.
Sharm is not Ibiza very very far from it.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enchanté, Bornemisa .

Actually I quite understand though I am acquainted with Sharm only since 2001 so my eyes register no change. Old Market dirty as always, Naama noisy as always, and I do not go to clubs or pubs. If I wished spend time with brits or italians, then i'd have gone to italy or britain . but who is behind all the disco rage.. I assume Egyptians themselves are?? They probably think it is cool? Because in our hotel they had a disco too but it played the most horrible kind of music so it was empty most evenings except for the horrible show of men playing a dancing horse, and some really pitiful dervishes, most people endured simply because it was at least SOMETHING in a great big empty house. So how to spend the evening time is of course always a headache, window-shopping and haggling can be fun once you master it but it is till also tiring and there is essentially not so much to buy. I really hate to bury my apartment under paraphernalia, so I do not own not one sheesha .

So what I noticed is that of course the managements of hotels are pretty lax, the properties could be much better cared for, you save on early renovation costs and people not returning because they think you do not quite strech to the amount of stars you claim to have, PLUS there could be much more entertainment. As far as I see it people go to Red sea pockets full of money and they return pockets full of money because there is nothing to do or buy. Not the east europeans maybe who struggle to meet their daily food&sightseeing budget but the germans, italians aso aso. My hotel had an undeused piano bar, where they employed an old perfumed crony playing Hollywood film ballades with stiff fingers, and when he left he took care to switch on the mechanical piano thing. And there was a perfect little venue for e.g. vocal music outside, totally unused.
of course the hotel was a favourite among arab families and these mainly contented with eating mounds of food at all times and after that disappeared. I think they spent whole days simply sitting on terrace of own room or the ones with younger and more beautiful wives usually seated themselves in the elegent lounge in the lobby. A few with smaller children could be seen at the pool and almost none on the beach, clothes or no clothes. (I liked the fact it was hotel with bias on domestic sales, much more exotic this way) but yes, a lot of unutilised possibility.

In my country we have the trouble with all these "got some pocket money from mom and we are going to Egypt with Mimmy now, to party wildly for a week, can anyone recommend a great nightclub and please what should i wear and what does booze cost".. the darlings do not have a clue! It's because its seen as a cheap destination and then naturally attracts all peole with smallest budgets and who'd feel like flees on a chandelier in any more sophisticated place.
So, work on sophistication, maybe?? Although nightclubs+booze are good easy money, not so difficult to handle, not much work. but I'm still amazed one does not believe one could gather a couple of hundred people each night from all Sharm area for a concert of some nice egyptian music! I've seen some in TV I love it but you get no access, nowhere! The best of Egypt could be represented in these areas where a big part of the world makes its first and sometimes last acquaintance with your country. So why do I need to walk between rows and rows of shops selling cheap italian clamottes and the like???

If anyone of you has an uncle in the government of somewhere, convince them of the need for Sharm Board for Commerce, Entertainment and Event Management, or something, OK? There is always demand for nice new high positions in Egypt I think and who knows they might be even get something done.

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
I just read the "help have I big mistake" post and I think it's a good indication of the type of trash I referred to in my orginal post; the type that's been flocking to sharm in recent years. given the unwilligness of most egyptian women to become "liberated" into western style prostitution, I'm afraid to say that sharm will become the new bangkok, but it's the males attracting the foreigners instead. and to think some ppl spend years in europe or n.a. waiting for a passport. just bang a eurotrash and tell her you love her "ahmed," and the passport is yours.
Dracul
Member # 6893

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dracul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ nevermind..
You express yourself perfectly..however its always the same mistake of trying to identify the east with what it should be like in the west, it never will be since 'East is East and West is West.
BTW Egyptian elite do not exist, its a myth.. you have either the filthy rich in their black S class sedans and towering villas with pools, better identified as the 'nouveau riches' and then you have the 'nouveau pauvres' who are those struggling to keep their old image that has faded out after the Nasser era, these are priveleged with a better taste of 'savoir vivre' due to their somewhat disciplined background and education... as for the rest of the people, they all fall into the riff raff category and represent the mass majority of 98.9% of the population.

Posts: 48 | From: Transylvania. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epose
Member # 7661

Rate Member
'nouveau pauvres' huh? I wasn't aware there existed a term that so accurately describes my family's situation. fortunately, we were able to leave the country after our property and other assets were confiscated by that baboon nasser. unfortunately, some of my relatives that were left behind are precisely in the situation you described. it's quite pathetic to witness. but, at least their children aren't heroin addicts like the 'nouveau riches.'
nevermind
Member # 6674

Don't know, snefru... I still believe we humans are much more alike, even cultural differences are to a great extent determined by the climate and geography - what we eat or drink, how we dress and how we spend our days, and whether we use an iron fork or more modernly plastic, or wooden sticks. And you require a certain anount of something on offer, for it to be easily attainable to large numbers of people (say: like cinema) before it can develop popularity among large amounts of simple people. A lot of info still travels from mouth to mouth and is recommendation-based, as well as trend-based. The entertainment genres of the West largely developed during times when work was considered "low" and even those who in reality could not have afforded it, tried show they have absolutely nothing in this world to do. Thus you got all these events that are essentially gathering and sitting, for various different reasons - sometime smusic, sometimes theatre, sometimes simply eating. While islam e.g. sets limits to entertainment, I believe, and also ypou never had these amounts of aristocracy, you society has been more steep I believe, with a few strong royalties on top, and millions of poor workers for them, but not so much in-between, not so much people not knowing what to do their time today again.

So development is essentially same but components differ and the scenery, the environment and its rules is different. Present artists are web designers maybe more than painters and we stopped going to theatre or cinema when TV came. In Europe we are at the beginnning of a new circle very soon again I believe, with working becoming less and less popular after all these generations who spent their lives on shuffling in money but not so much else, so timespending may enter a new era at us, soon.

Is just my speculation

nevermind
Member # 6674

repetition

[This message has been edited by nevermind (edited 30 June 2005).]

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nevermind:
So development is essentially same but components differ and the scenery, the environment and its rules is different. Present artists are web designers maybe more than painters and we stopped going to theatre or cinema when TV came. In Europe we are at the beginnning of a new circle very soon again I believe, with working becoming less and less popular after all these generations who spent their lives on shuffling in money but not so much else, so timespending may enter a new era at us, soon.

Is just my speculation

That's an interesting point and for sure the younger generation in Europe seem to have a whole new attitude to work having taken a good hard look at their parents lives. They are entering the work place at a much later age and seem to be less dedicated to making work/career the centre of their lives.
However this cirle is at a very different stage in Egypt to that in Europe.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiley
Member # 8255

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love sharm but then im an old european married to an equaly old eyptian.. yet he is a technial diver and loves it for that reason~sharm i mean~ me? well i like to go there because we bought an apartment there and yes even tho it can be better maintained.. sharm can also be kept cleaner by its residents...ie.. keep your area clean.. as for the clubs.. why not.. teens like clubs clubs like teens etc it is what goes up to make a holiday resort.. dont like it then stay away....now some fundamentalists would say that sharm was~haram~ oh well to each its own...
Posts: 230 | From: uk/U.A.E | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com