EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » PC models and Specs, what is sold in Egypt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PC models and Specs, what is sold in Egypt?
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now for the tech enthusiasts out there, especially if you have bought a PC or PC parts in Egypt please share your shopping and PC building experiences.

Now ESers have been told to bring their hard drives, just about anything can be bought in Egypt in regards to PC parts.

But if we are to bring only our hard drives, which hard drives are compatible with the motherboards sold on the Egyptian market?

Are there video capture cards available for sale in Egypt?

How about DVD-Rws?

Flat panel monitors?

Now otlob.com and other online shopping websites are rather pricey, shops in Alex appear to be selling x86 complaint products and only if they are part of a complete system unit.

Could a person get buy with buying all the PC components in the west bury these components in the underwear section of our luggage and expect them to expect the components to work with a Arab made motherboard? Can western bought components fit a Arab made motherboard and system unit enclosure?

Has anyone tried this before?

How about in regards to servers?

If I bring a 500GB external hard drive would a motherboard be compliant with that size of storage through a USB 2.0 connection?

What are the customs required brands and models, I know that certain printers are allowed into Egypt but other brands aren't.

Go to it, show me how tech-wise your gonads are boys, women please interject here and there. [Razz]

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
king-snefru
Member # 11670

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for king-snefru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear sonomode
It seems that you have no idea what you are talking about???
you have no knowledge about computers ?.
So I suggest to make your question direct and ask straight away what exactly your plan.
If you want to buy a computer in Egypt , it is so easy and much cheaper than Europe but I do not know about the prices in USA
you are asking about 500 GB hard drive are you not?
Even If you have 1000GB it will be supported by any computer in the world if it has a usb.
about printers., it is not a good idea to accompany printer with you from outside the country (Egypt) because the customs think that you brought it to make false money , specially if it is coloured.
everything is available here and in reasonable prices.
Are you coming to live in Cairo ? if you are bring your hard drive and I will build your computer
and why you are asking about servers ???

Posts: 121 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
500GB external hard drive [Eek!] thought mine was big at 200GB [Eek!]

you can get anything in Cairo!! and it all works with your bits you bring from USA. I once bought an Arabic keyboard and it worked fine when i got it back home. All PC's and periferals are made the same and to work with all others as far as im aware.

Cant you take the CPU with you and your external drive? or a laptop and the external drive? I never had any proplems taking mine. If you take your main CPU then you can buy keyboard, monitor, printer etc and it will all *fit* ok.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get everything here. No need to bring anything with you, unless you have a lot of data you want to bring on an external hard drive. A flash drive could be enough anyway.

No problems with customs. Laptops certainly are never questioned. I travel with one all the time.

And of course everything works with everything else. It all comes from China anyway.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbrbddd
Member # 3891

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbrbddd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so true, citizen . . . . everything comes from China these days! So of course it will all work together

. . . except for the electrical plugs maybe, will need a different power cord if you bring one from a Western country?? When I took my laptop to Hong Kong for work, we all just got the adapters when we arrived in Hong Kong. Some of the hotels had them right there in the rooms. For the office, we all had to bring our own and we had no problems with our laptops.

--------------------
I fell in to a burning ring of fire . . .

Posts: 895 | From: NorthTexas, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skidmark
Member # 12158

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skidmark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sono,
My brother works on these things. You can PM me.

Posts: 51 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
You can get everything here. No need to bring anything with you, unless you have a lot of data you want to bring on an external hard drive. A flash drive could be enough anyway.

No problems with customs. Laptops certainly are never questioned. I travel with one all the time.

And of course everything works with everything else. It all comes from China anyway.

citizen,
I have about 2terabytes of school and study files. I am not joking.

My in-laws sent home a Arabi keyboard and it did not work.

I have brought over two apple laptops from the USA and it didn't work with their transformers/adapters so they had to get a transformer/adapter from a duty free shop.

king-snefru, I love it when a guy thinks he has to know more about technology than a woman. Ask Katanga about trans-ocean phone calls, satellites and fiber optics laid at the bottom of the Pacific. We had a very nasty drawn out cat fight about that and I ended up winning the argument. Don't mess with me, I have superior research skills and can back any of my statements up.

for everyone else,
There is a huge difference between voltages/amps, then there is the question of whether Arab technology producers are making motherboards to support dual processors and 64kb address buses.

If you take a look at sourceforge.net and other open source projects like Apache, you'll notice that in order to run open-source webservers with advanced video cards you need to have products sold in the west. Alot of motherboards produced in Arab nations don't have device drivers that support open source or even OEM IBM and Microsoft server software products.

I am not an expert at writing device drivers, and might have to bring the entire PC in piece by piece, then install it in a everyday system unit. But the system unit might not have SCSI ports that jive with adapter cards and so forth. I have seen only Parallel ports on some system units and that scares the hell out of me.

Posts: 3168 | From: If you don't like it, don't look or read it! | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for al-Kahina   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skidmark:
Sono,

You stay on my ignore list. If your brother works in technology in Egypt on Arab made products then he can sign up for an ES account and we'll talk.
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sono, don't make life complicated for yourself. I'm typing this on an Apple Macbook as I speak, brought from the US a couple of months ago. The 240 volt adapter is readily available at any airport and at Radio Shack in Egypt of which there are many branches.

There is no such thing as an Arab motherboard. There are two types of PCs here, imported originals like HP/Compaq, Lenovo etc or locally assembled ones all made from Chinese or Taiwanese parts... not Arab. It's all one technology. Bring an external hard disk, buy a local PC and relax...

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3okba
Member # 12623

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3okba   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear samarra the world became a small town same technolgy used here in egypt is used all over the world so don't woory your self it is some kinds of protocols that nobody can change it and there is no prob how much your HDD's space is or how does it work and also if you use APPLE MAC or IBM & windows or Linux you will not find any problem to continue it here in egypt in the same way you used to

and for the customs - Egyptian Gov. takes 5% as an entrance fees or customs on those electronics

and here is a web site for a computer company which i dealed with and i found it well services and prices

www.tqniat.com

Enjoy [Wink]

Posts: 117 | From: Egypt-Cairo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al-Kahina
Member # 12077

Rate Member
Oh my goodness that stuff is so out of date.
king-snefru
Member # 11670

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for king-snefru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear sonomode
I mention nothing about women in fact women are very clever to in computers just like men but you sound like you know nothing about computer. not about all women.
I never mentioned satelite or phone cables???what are you talking about?
I am teeling you that egypt is not different form any other country and everything will work and you can find all you need here but customs do not allow printers unless they are checked and you have to pay fees. Laptops are easily taken through airport customs.
It is better not to pretend to know what you are talking about. Just ask and get help and take advise. [Smile]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skidmark
Member # 12158

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for skidmark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samarra_Anissa:
quote:
Originally posted by skidmark:
Sono,

You stay on my ignore list. If your brother works in technology in Egypt on Arab made products then he can sign up for an ES account and we'll talk.
Sono, I'm skidmark brother. You can call mail me at skidmarkosh@yahoo.com. Good Luck [Big Grin]
Posts: 51 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com