EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Problem with phone lines UK/Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problem with phone lines UK/Egypt
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone having problems calling Egypt from the UK? For the last week I have found it almost impossible to get through to anyone whether using a landline or mobile.
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tab3an problems Penny. It's Eid!

Everyone is calling everyone.

All networks are overloaded with those who can hold a conversation for at least 3 hours, only to say "how are you" in 5000 different forms.

Welcome to Egypt!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaliG182
Member # 8227

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaliG182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Is anyone having problems calling Egypt from the UK? For the last week I have found it almost impossible to get through to anyone whether using a landline or mobile.

I sometimes have problems when trying to call my relatives in Egypt. You have a greater chance of getting through if you call their mobile number (well from my experience anyway).
Posts: 356 | From: NEVERMIND | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received and made a phone call to Egypt on Monday, I am in the USA. I also got through on Tuesday. I could not get through last night (Friday).
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gail
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny ~

I am experiencing similar problems with US to Egypt calls and vice versa. A friend of mine has been in Egypt since the end of August and we have had so many problems with the phone lines. We are both using cell phones and phone cards. But it is really frustrating. One day the signals are good and we can talk for a long time. Other days we can't get through to each other at all. I suppose communication technology just has to catch up with the worldwide demand. Be patient and keep trying.

salaam,
Gail

Posts: 332 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimbo57
Member # 9486

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimbo57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too found friday impossible to get through, a few months ago it was quite good but it seems to be getting really bad, thought it was the phonecards but iv used different ones and also tried my landline my mobile gets through stright away, but cant use that soooooooo expensive,xxx
Posts: 68 | From: england | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has been placing his phone calls over the net with yahoo messenger voice with little problem.

But most people don't know that international calls are routed over the internet via a satellite connection.

Because it is cheaper for the telecoms to manage that kind of traffic.

And it is the EID, if you have certain types of phone cards mainly sold on the USA east and west coasts you get the premium service quality. But they have set up their own system separate from the government telecom systems.

For the rest of us, it sucks to make a call.

Try the internet VOIP like yahoo messenger.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimbo57:
Me too found friday impossible to get through, a few months ago it was quite good but it seems to be getting really bad, thought it was the phonecards but iv used different ones and also tried my landline my mobile gets through stright away, but cant use that soooooooo expensive,xxx

I use an access code which gives you calls at 10p per minute but what drives me crazy is they start charging as soon as you enter the number you want to dial so you are charged for every non connection depending how long you wait while it tries to find a line.

With the Yahoo system does the person at the other end need to have a computer?

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

With the Yahoo system does the person at the other end need to have a computer?

Yes.

My husband's good friend has a laptop and uses a wireless connection through his cell phone.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Friday I was getting really frustrated - I thought it was just me - but since then it's been better and I've been able to get through on my phonecard (UK mobile to Egyptian mobile) as well as usual (it's a bit of a ropey service and often involves hanging up and redialling, but for 5p per minute I can't really complain!)
Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blue skies:
On Friday I was getting really frustrated - I thought it was just me - but since then it's been better and I've been able to get through on my phonecard (UK mobile to Egyptian mobile) as well as usual (it's a bit of a ropey service and often involves hanging up and redialling, but for 5p per minute I can't really complain!)

Hi Blue skies
Which phone card is that?. 5p sounds good especially as my 10p landline is also a bit hit and miss

kimbo57
Member # 9486

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimbo57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy a phonecard and its costs me £5.00 (english) that is for 145mins i think its good value
Posts: 68 | From: england | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet
Member # 9451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried various phone cards uk to egypt over 2 years. Best value was 'Talkhome' 150 mins for 5 pounds. Found best time to get a good connection was late afternoon or after 11pm GMT, but still hit & miss some days.
Posts: 33 | From: Luxor | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tuttbardancer
Member # 9202

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tuttbardancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimbo57 Hi! what card do u use that u get 145mins, i use Talkdirect and i thought i was doing good with 125mins,
Janet where do u buy Talkhome card from never seen that card

Posts: 2 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

My husband's good friend has a laptop and uses a wireless connection through his cell phone. [/QB]

his cell phone battery must not last very long
Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
]I use an access code which gives you calls at 10p per minute

is this some sort of 08 or 09 number?

do use this one by any chance

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Penny - sorry for the late response - it's from Planet Phonecards - it's a Story card, you get £25 worth of credit for £19.99 and this gives you 440 minutes worth of calls to a mobile (might be different if it's to a landline). You phone an 0207 London number for the access - let me know if you need the details! It makes it so much easier now we can talk for half an hour or more each night.
Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com