EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » What should my Mary do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What should my Mary do?
- Maz -
Member # 9764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for - Maz -     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary is my friend.
Mary is Egyptian.
She's also Christian Orthodox.
Mary lives in Egypt.

Her family is poor.
She is struggling..
.. to finish her PhD - in science.
Everybody finds her special
Yes, my Mary's also pretty.

Mary's in her twenties.
She wants to settle down.
Yes, she's looking for a husband.
But he has to be a Christian.

And Orthodox.
Or Catholic.
And open-minded smart.
And fun to be with.

I'm trying to help my Mary.
What should my Mary do?
Please help.

Posts: 88 | From: Brasilia, DF, Brazil | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubles101
Member # 4543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troubles101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marry mary?
Posts: 1732 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently he's not christian!! Or so it sounds.

--------------------
Same crap...Different toilet

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary is my friend.
Mary is Egyptian.
Mary lives in Egypt.
She's also Christian .

Her family is poor.
She is struggling to finish her PhD
Everybody finds her special
Yes, my Mary's also pretty.

Mary's in her twenties.
She wants to settle down.
Yes, she's looking for a husband.
But he has to be a Clown.

An Orthodox.
Or Catholic.
An open-minded smart.
Fun to be with and hopefully doesn't fart.

What should my Mary do?
Please help.... I have a small dodo

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact all the shenounas in the diaspora everywhere. Maybe sonmeone would like a wife that is original egyptian orthodox.
Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mary has to struggle and suffer to find a good man like all the other egyptian women [Frown] seriously its becoming very difficult for egyptians girls to find a good person to settle with. mary sounds lovely so all the best to her inshallah [Smile]
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
- Maz -
Member # 9764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for - Maz -     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hallo Troubles, Hallo Ngeg,

Yes, I can't marry Mary because I don't want to leave my girlfriend. Mary is a good friend of our's.

Hallo Melati,

I liked your idea, it's very good, but francly speaking I wouldn't know how to contact them, nor what to say / write?

Automatic,

I don't remember having ever offended you. Would be nice to hear your opinion though.

The question is this:

How can a bright girl settle down, when she belongs to a so-called "religious minority", and lives in a poor surrounding, especially if she's something of an exception in that environment she lives in?

I wish you all a beautiful day,

Maz

Posts: 88 | From: Brasilia, DF, Brazil | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
- Maz -
Member # 9764

Member Rated:
Hallo 7ayat,

Thank you for the nice wishes [Smile]

You are so right about how difficult it has become to find a good partner here, but then in my opinion this is where friends can help.. at least a little bit, no? [Smile]

I wish you a beautiful day,

Maz

*tigerman*
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *tigerman*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish Mary will find someone who is good and live happily ever after...How about Mary's church or Mary's work, school,...Simply Mary has to get out and have fun and may get heartbroken once or twice...but she will learn and lead her life to its own path...
Good luck for Mary

--------------------
PEACE

Posts: 2691 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merima
Member # 9658

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Merima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7ayat:
mary has to struggle and suffer to find a good man like all the other egyptian women [Frown] seriously its becoming very difficult for egyptians girls to find a good person to settle with. mary sounds lovely so all the best to her inshallah [Smile]

Of course, it´s not easy to find one´s "soulmate" and settle with him. But why should it be more difficult for Egyptian women than all the other women in the world?
(Yeah, we all know these stories about "gigolos". But isn´t this only a minority? I´m sure there must be enough "decent" Egyptian men to settle with.)
Of course, the religious part is another issue.
That said, my best wishes for Mary and all the other Egyptian women willing to marry [Wink]

Posts: 173 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by - Maz -:

Yes, I can't marry Mary because I don't want to leave my girlfriend. Mary is a good friend of our's.

Hallo Melati,

I liked your idea, it's very good, but francly speaking I wouldn't know how to contact them, nor what to say / write?

Automatic,

I don't remember having ever offended you. Would be nice to hear your opinion though.

The question is this:

How can a bright girl settle down, when she belongs to a so-called "religious minority", and lives in a poor surrounding, especially if she's something of an exception in that environment she lives in?

I wish you all a beautiful day,

Maz

But I heard that churches in Egypt help girls to get married…why not askin there?
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Automatic,

You have class, Maz. [Smile]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it boggles my mind how over 8 million people can be considered a "minority" ... i guess that makes lebanon's 1.5 million Christians close to being extinct
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary should move to the US. [Smile]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Mary should move to the US. [Smile]

How do u figure that Snoozin ... that's such a dangerous thing to say that it shocks me how casually u express it.
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
How do u figure that Snoozin ... that's such a dangerous thing to say that it shocks me how casually u express it.

Excuse my ignorance...why is it dangerous?
Automatic For The People
Member # 7160

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Automatic For The People     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Automatic,

It's more interesting with the changes I made, don't you think. You're very welcome by the way, I like to help as much as I can. Sorry about the Small dodo, it's not true...is it? [Big Grin]

Come on lighten up

Posts: 637 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:

Excuse my ignorance...why is it dangerous?
Let's see ...

For one, it brings up the whole argument of Copts being persecuted in Egypt. Secondly, it's the sole argument that every Copt uses when applying for immigration to the West (and the reason why more Copts are granted immigration visas to the west than Egyptian Muslims) ...

Now don't get me wrong, i believe in an Egypt that does not differentiate between people based on their religion. Which means arguments like the above need not be embedded in the average Copt's mind ...

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

i gotta admit ... Maz did a good job with little Mary's poem. But Automatic's touch was a stroke of genius. Now, do lighten up Maz.
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Let's see ...

For one, it brings up the whole argument of Copts being persecuted in Egypt. Secondly, it's the sole argument that every Copt uses when applying for immigration to the West (and the reason why more Copts are granted immigration visas to the west than Egyptian Muslims) ...

Now don't get me wrong, i believe in an Egypt that does not differentiate between people based on their religion. Which means arguments like the above need not be embedded in the average Copt's mind ...

OK. I thought you meant somehow it was physically dangerous for her to emigrate...

But I don't see how the issue of her looking for a suitable husband among the finite number of Coptic Christians in Egypt relates to potential religious persecution of Christians by Muslims.

My rationale for emigrating: It is difficult for people from lower-income classes to find suitable partners when they somehow distinguish themselves beyond what is typical...such as her obtaining a Ph.D. degree. That *severely* limits the field for potential husbands, because she may not necessarily want someone without education. And those men from middle/upper classes who have the education may not want her.

Class is not such an issue in America. There are a good number of Orthodox Christians (although most I know are Greek Orthodox). And Maryland was founded by Catholics, so she would meet a lot there.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
But I don't see how the issue of her looking for a suitable husband among the finite number of Coptic Christians in Egypt relates to potential religious persecution of Christians by Muslims.

"finite"?! ... simply no comment there.

i wasn't drawing any lines between finding a husband and religious persecution. i was drawing lines between her being a Copt and your suggestion that she should immigrate.

daria1975
Member # 6244

Have you ever been part of a minority group that isn't socially allowed to comingle with the majority?

Or been part of what is considered the lower-class or under-class?

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

I would have to say no since there are no minority groups in Egypt that aren't socially allowed to co-mingle with the majority.

Now, have you ever lived in Egypt?

daria1975
Member # 6244

I'm not talking about Egypt specifically....

I'm talking about my own experiences being educated out of the class I grew up in. That is why I empathize with Mary. [Smile]

I was just wondering if you had any similar experience, because it doesn't seem like you have much empathy for her situation. That's all.

It's not about Egypt. But about humans.

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Snoozin should move to Canada which is even less judgmental than the US. Oh, and bring Mary along.
daria1975
Member # 6244

So it's dangerous for her to immigrate to the US, but not Canada? [Big Grin]

And have you spent much time in Quebec? Talk about judgmental! [Wink]

Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ngeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Maz

Maz:
Do u really believe what u just wrote? You cant marry mary bcz u have a gf?? hellloooooooo..
You can't marry Mary bcz she s not the ONE. And if she were, if u had a gf, wife or a dozen of kids running around u would ve left the world for her. But she s not. And advertising or asking a church or friends doesnt change that fact. She hasn't met the right person, nor is she right for anyone she met.

And Snoozin..Let me assure u, I have more eligible expats around me in Dubai than Mary would meet for a lifetime in US. And???????
The place doesnt matter. Geography doesn't. Destiny does!!!!!

Posts: 1813 | From: Cairo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
- Maz -
Member # 9764

Member Rated:
Dear Friends,

Thank you for sharing your views with me.

Let's see if I can reply to everyone who addressed me:

Thank you for the very much nice wishes [Smile]

Yes, you are right [Smile] She told me about an elderly Priest who she really gets along well with, and used to do many Church-related activities with. I told her to speak to him.

I am flattered [Smile] Thank you [Smile] The Latins would say "eres un tesoro" [Smile]

About leaving Egypt, unfortunately she can't. Her parents won't allow her - unless she's married.

Sad that not much empathy with Mary was shown.

Sure, you are right [Smile]

Did you write that: "The place doesn't matter. Geography doesn't. Destiny does" - or is it a quotation from someone? I like it [Smile]

And it leads me to ask: how does destiny stand in relation to the free will of man (and woman, of course [Smile] )?

Sorry for the long message, and I wish you all a beautiful day.

Sincerely,

Maz

Ngeg
Member # 1271

Member Rated:
Maz:

Thanks I'm flattered-My words.
Your question on destiny touches a deep core of Islam. I think it's beyond my modest abilities to explain. But I recall Al Sheikh Al Shaarawi's words on that.

He said:
Destiny in relation to human beings can be related to a father and his two kids. He gives each a penny. He knows his children tooo well- for he raised him up himself. He knows X will buy lollies. And he knows Y will buy a book. But they have free will to spend their money-though he knows beforehand. His knowledge isn't forcing them to do anything!!!!

If God's knowledge beforehand-in the form of the so called destiny- is 100%. So it's all known beforehand-and it can't go wrong. At the same time when spending yr penny, u r free..(No contradiction here)
No other forces-called destiny- control you. Knowledge beforehand doesn't restrict yr freedom of choice.
Does that make any sense to you?

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What should my Mary do?

First of all she has to get a good hair-do.

Try this:
http://www.moviecitygeek.com/DVD/images/something_about_mary.jpg

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:

I am flattered [Smile] Thank you [Smile] The Latins would say "eres un tesoro" [Smile]

Gracias -- eres maravilloso tambien, Maz. [Wink]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Automatic For The People:
Come on lighten up

Look who's talking [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
First of all she has to get a good hair-do.

Try this:
http://www.moviecitygeek.com/DVD/images/something_about_mary.jpg

[Big Grin]

ROFLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com