EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Alifa Rifaat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alifa Rifaat
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.egypttoday.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2240

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alifa_Rifaat

As a young woman, Rifaat had hoped to attend university, but this was opposed by her parents, who planned an arranged marriage for her instead. This acceptance of tradition figures prominently in her writing: she continues to embrace her Muslim faith, but is nevertheless critical of how it is implemented with regard to women. Her stories describe the loneliness of purdah, and has gone so far as to call on husbands to respect the sexual needs and desires of their wives. Her perspective, however, is particularly challenging to some fundamentalist interpretations of Islamic traditions because she makes these statements within the context of what she considers to be the Islamic obligation of husbands to their wives, without ever falling under the influence of estern mores and norms.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is the next author I will tackle.

Has anyone read her books? Any comments?

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:

[Roll Eyes]
Well thats certainly a helpful comment!

What did I tell you about shaking that snake before coming to ES?

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, Sonomod, by now you should have realized that you have an admirer here on ES and he tries everything to pursue you....... [Big Grin]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Come on, Sonomod, by now you should have realized that you have an admirer here on ES and he tries everything to pursue you....... [Big Grin]

I am trying to have a serious thread on an contemporary Egyptian author.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not with Corv around....... use the time to post when he's sleeping.

Hm, is he ever sleeping?????

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandora
Member # 10146

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have not heard of her, but i read all the time and will order her stories via amazon..my favrite bookstore...hahaha..sounds intriguing..i have just finished reading a book by maxine hong kingston called a woman warrior which is about growing up a chinese immigrant to america after communism hit..sorta the same genre..women..changes..etc..

--------------------
life life long, for it is short...pandora

Posts: 98 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

When did I ever stop saying that ??????

Though, I Blush [Embarrassed]

[Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:
Not with Corv around....... use the time to post when he's sleeping.

Hm, is he ever sleeping?????

Like my mom always said, He sleeps 8 hours a day and the rest of the day, He never let be one brick over the other in this world [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com