EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » New to the board (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New to the board
Candace
Member # 10177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a couple days and everyone seems very nice and helpful. It was interesting to read about non-Egyptians living there.

I'm looking for information or advice. I'll start from the basics.

First, I'm Canadian and married to an Egyptian. I don't live in Egypt and my husband will be the one to move permanently to Canada, but I am considering studying in Egypt for a few years. This would give my husband time to finish his studies as well, which will help when he comes to Canada, and it would allow us to be together.

And really, I love Egypt. I was in Cairo for 5 weeks this winter and I miss it. It was when I saw a picture of Cairo on the net that it clicked that I would like to be there and could possibly study there.

I saw in a certain thread that some of you are students in Egypt too. I remember someone named Annie, also a Canadian (also a Quebeccer, I think), who is studying at AUC. I personally can't afford AUC...

I wanted to know what other universities in Cairo teach in the English language and are open for international students. So far, I have seen Misr International University, but I don't have all the information about it.

Do Helwan University and October 6 University teach in English? They have programs that would be better for me at least.

Thank you so much for any replies! I appreciate it.

Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the boards, Candace. [Smile] I'm sure many people will have some helpful advice for you concerning schools.

Snoozin

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soyez La Bienvenue Candace [Smile]

Watch out! we are not all nice like you said, many people here are So Bad, the worst of them all is that bastard Corvinous [Smile]

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Candace:
I I remember someone named Annie, also a Canadian (also a Quebeccer, I think), who is studying at AUC. I personally can't afford AUC...

Annie left last summer Cairo - happily.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a couple days and everyone seems very nice and helpful. It was interesting to read about non-Egyptians living there.

First, I'm Canadian and married to an Egyptian. I don't live in Egypt and my husband will be the one to move permanently to Canada, but I am considering studying in Egypt for a few years. This would give my husband time to finish his studies as well, which will help when he comes to Canada, and it would allow us to be together.

And really, I love Egypt. I was in Cairo for 5 weeks this winter and I miss it. It was when I saw a picture of Cairo on the net that it clicked that I would like to be there and could possibly study there.

I saw in a certain thread that some of you are students in Egypt too. I remember someone named Annie, also a Canadian (also a Quebeccer, I think), who is studying at AUC. I personally can't afford AUC...

I wanted to know what other universities in Cairo teach in the English language and are open for international students. So far, I have seen Misr International University, but I don't have all the information about it.

Do Helwan University and October 6 University teach in English? They have programs that would be better for me at least.

Hi Candace, and welcome to ES. I am one of those usernames that aren't very nice.

I too tried to look for a degree program in English at Egyptian universities. There isn't a single one instructed completely in English.

And having an Egyptian degree will actually hurt your future career in Egypt and Canada.

Why marry so early? Is this distance relationship really what you want? I just don't see how this could work out in the long run.

But seriously forget doing college in Egypt, finish your degree in Canada. Having a western degree is a sure thing for a western income in Egypt. Don't even think about the possibility of working for an Egyptian company. Shoot for western companies only.

Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonomod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corvinous:
the worst of them all is that bastard Corvinous [Smile]

I will second that.
Posts: 5744 | From: Minneapolis, Mn USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonomod:
quote:

I will second that.
Hmmm... i don't think that the word *second* is the most appropriate to be used here... someone may think that it's some kind of counting... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asoom
Member # 8611

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asoom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

welcome to ES, I have graduated from the MIU last year, as well as my sister. My Major was mixed between Mass Communication and English language…I have enjoyed every single minute in my university, I really missed it. My sister major is pharmacy…so what do you want to know?
Posts: 968 | From: www | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I will second that.
Hahahahaha When I first saw "I will second that." I thought I was dreaming and then I saw "the worst of them all is that bastard Corvinous " So I realised I am not dreaming at all [Big Grin]

Dear Sono, when are you gonna wise up and just .... Come To Papa ?! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerman:
quote:
Hi everyone! I have been lurking for a couple days and everyone seems very nice and helpful.

[Confused] Are you sure that you are talking about ES [Wink] ...

Welcome to the board .. [Smile]

I tried to say so but it was not that clear ! [Wink]
Sadeeqy
Member # 9759

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sadeeqy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerman:
Are you sure that you are talking about ES [Wink] ...

Maybe she had read only the threads about the ear wax and the snort? [Roll Eyes]

Welcome, princess... [Smile]

Posts: 1744 | From: Romania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey candice, also try the MSA university it won an international award last year
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the US, many colleges and universities have study-abroad partnerships with other schools in other countries. I believe Johns Hopkins here in MD has a partnership with AUC.

Anyway, if you found a school in your own country, you could do a semester or two abroad in Cairo, for credit at your home institution. This would get you the foreign degree Sonomod is talking about but the study experience in Cairo.

Just an option.

http://www.jhu.edu/~advising/Programs.htm#E

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I am a Marylander, I dont know if JHU has that link with AUC. Double check that. OK, now tell me about degrees again. I want to study Arabic as AUC, will that be good. I am working on my Master. Wouldn't AUC be good to study Arabic?
Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:
Originally posted by Sadeeqy:
quote:
quote:

I will second that.
Hmmm... i don't think that the word *second* is the most appropriate to be used here... someone may think that it's some kind of counting... [Big Grin]
[Frown]
Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:
Originally posted by Khadija_Diagne:
Ok, I am a Marylander, I dont know if JHU has that link with AUC. Double check that. OK, now tell me about degrees again. I want to study Arabic as AUC, will that be good. I am working on my Master. Wouldn't AUC be good to study Arabic?

If your name is Khadija, so why don't you try Al-Azhar university, seriously ?!
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Khadija_Diagne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Razz] I wish Khadija was my birth name.
I was given this name by my senegalse guy who was my first muslim friend. Tell me about Al-Azhar

Posts: 478 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karla
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karla         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say "Welcome to the board Candace!" [Smile]
Posts: 1414 | From: far away | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[Razz] I wish Khadija was my birth name.
I was given this name by my senegalse guy who was my first muslim friend. Tell me about Al-Azhar

hey khaidga how are you? al azhar is an islamic university which just happens to be the oldest university in the world. its funny that they say that islam encourages ignorance, when the first university was made by muslims. anyway here's a link that can give you more information.

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:76F24OOPkWkJ:www.alazhar.org/+al+azhar&hl=en&gl=au&ct=clnk&cd=1

Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
Thanks 7ayat- mesh tayka nafsi

It is beautiful, I would love to learn here. I read the site, but I dont think I meet the minimal requiremnt. I dont have something called a G.C.E. I think all foreign student need this.

It is very important to me that I learn arabic, and Islam out side the west

newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I heard you have to be under 30 to be admitted to the Al-Azhar program. I know an American who came over here to study there, had given up her job and everything to come to study for several years and it was only when she was here and registering that they noticed her age and she was turned down! It was a really sad!
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
As far as I heard you have to be under 30 to be admitted to the Al-Azhar program. I know an American who came over here to study there, had given up her job and everything to come to study for several years and it was only when she was here and registering that they noticed her age and she was turned down! It was a really sad!

really? you have to be under 30, thats really bizarre. especially since many people specifically in the west decide to pursue other studies in their 30's. i always wanted to study at the azhar at some point, does that mean i have only four and a half years? seriously thats weird
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The age requirement is to limit the number of students as they have too many students from all round the world who want to study in Al-Azhar. The demand is so great that they have opened many branches and have agreements with universities overseas to cope with the demand.

From what I understand, and you may need to check this out, its even tougher for a local to get into Al-Azhar, as you have to have been through the Al-Azhar school system before you can go to the university. To match that requirement, once a foreigner has passed the required Arabic language tests, they then have to do a test to see what the level of their Islamic knowledge is and they are placed accordingly in the school level designated by their placement test. They too have to graduate from an Al-Azhar school before going to the university!

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWesternDebt2Islaam
Member # 7854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWesternDebt2Islaam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, mashaAllah....and one of my old class-mate got a scholarship to go there... [Smile]

that reminds me,,,i forgot to visit him [Frown] when i there...

--------------------
--
here...
[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0955020700/qid%3D1133898517/026-7853042-0414807= Recommended...![/url]

Posts: 2457 | From: U | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stick to the universities that are either British or American based. It will be easier for u to blend in that way.
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:
Originally posted by _Masrawi_:
Stick to the universities that are either British or American based. It will be easier for u to blend in that way.

What about Chinese, please ?! [Big Grin]
Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aspirations (aka PC)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi candace, im a canadian living in egypt for past two and a half years... married to an egyptian ... i would never inflict life in egypt on my worst enemy. Im just stuck here while we wait for my husbands military service date to pass by... oh a question for the regulars...we are having a baby next week, does having children exempt a man from military service?
please say yes, please say yes...dying to get back to canada.
i shoulkd be fair in saying that the majority of expats love living here, i myself am just an oddball.

--------------------
cracked

Posts: 209 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pregnantcravings:
oh a question for the regulars...we are having a baby next week, does having children exempt a man from military service?
please say yes, please say yes...dying to get back to canada.

no ... not unless this baby is a result of a gay communion. Which, if i am correct, is legal now in Canada. There you go ... a fresh idea for u. [Wink]
Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i would never inflict life in egypt on my worst enemy. Im just stuck here while we wait for my husbands military service date to pass by...

Don´t tell me you´re another internet victim..
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Believe it or Not,

Internet couples, when they had a good social status and education, it works for them, some members here will second that cause simply it is their case, and they are happy stable couples, offending no Law of God, not at the Least.

[Cool]

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Believe it or Not,

Internet couples, when they had a good social status and education, it works for them, some members here will second that cause simply it is their case, and they are happy stable couples, offending no Law of God, not at the Least.

[Cool]

Not a fan ...
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
i would never inflict life in egypt on my worst enemy.

oh my god is it that bad!
Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:
quote:
Believe it or Not,

[Cool]

Not a fan ...
Life is built on Variety my dear brother [Smile]
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
quote:
quote:
Believe it or Not,

[Cool]

Not a fan ...
Life is built on Variety my dear brother [Smile]
i LOVE variety ... one of my biggest downfalls actually. [Embarrassed]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Madame Mohamed:
Thank you Corv! Some members may think we are inferior because we met our husbands this way but they don't live our lives or know us personally so who are they to judge? I believe that I am not of the ones who offends the laws of God with my marriage regardless of how I met my husband. I'm a Muslim woman and therefore I must marry a Muslim man just as it states in the Quran. I didn't read anywhere that I was supposed to meet him in say...a bar.

And I didn´t even know you met your Mr. Mohamed on the internet..

hehehehe.. Ya lahwi.. That makes you guys picture perfect!!

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:
Thank you Corv! Some members may think we are inferior because we met our husbands this way but they don't live our lives or know us personally so who are they to judge? I believe that I am not of the ones who offends the laws of God with my marriage regardless of how I met my husband. I'm a Muslim woman and therefore I must marry a Muslim man just as it states in the Quran. I didn't read anywhere that I was supposed to meet him in say...a bar.

A Muslim Lady marrying a MUSLIM MAN, any where, any way, by any means, CAN NEVER HAVE THE LEAST OF OFFENSE TO GOD'S LAWS, But subject to His Blessing and Mercy upon it, [Smile] Present, future, and most important at the Day Of Judgment where Only God's Laws Prervails and No shitt bla bla would help !!!!!!!!

UNLIKE, A MUSLIM WOMAN MARRYING A NON-MUSLIM MAN, THIS IS CALLED IN ISLAM: A D U L T E R Y.

Wish you the Happiest Life Madame Mohamed and May Allah Grant you and your little holy family, peace and happiness and success every where you may be or go !

Corv

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:

Blend?? I am a muslim. One faith, Islam
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Blend? thats what you think you need to blend, being Muslim?

So in otherwords Copts don't blend in Egypt, nor belong in egypt!

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:

SO Mrs. Mohamed if couples don't meet on the internet they have met in a bar?
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused] what is a "Copt"
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow, have you ever been to Egypt?

Hasn't your husband ever told you about Copts?

Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
why should I have been told, i am not one.
Candace
Member # 10177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the welcomes.

Ouch though, doesn't seem that Egypt is a great idea, from what I have heard on here. (Annie leaving "happily", education not being too great and especially the post about not wishing it on her worst enemy...!) At least I am not considering moving there permanently, in case that is what anyone thought. It would be only for my studies. And at that, it would be for Undergraduate studies. I would go back to Canada for Graduate studies, so my final degree would come from Canada. As long as the university in Egypt gave me a good enough education and that I got good enough grades to get into the universities in Canada without having wasted too much time or being too much behind, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. I'm still worried on those points though.

Khadija, I *think* that the post about going to an American or British university was aimed at me... But then again, who knows.

Assoma, I'm glad to find someone who has been there and who enjoyed it. I do, in fact, have some questions for you.

*Were there many English-speaking International students?
*How much is tuition (and extra fees)?
*How is the education (seen from the point of view of an Anglophone)? I guess this has to do with reputation too... Anything about the U that might be interesting please!

Thank you!!

Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

quote:
Thanks for all the welcomes.
Khadija, I *think* that the post about going to an American or British university was aimed at me... But then again, who knows.

it was.
Khadija_Diagne
Member # 10149

Rate Member
sorry
Aspirations (aka PC)
Member # 9852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aspirations (aka PC)     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im just speaking from my own experience of living here, i have lived in a few different countries, mexico, usa, canada, greece, germany, italy...and this place is just not for me. i find it difficult to follow my religion here compared to canada where i found people respected my choices more than here where they just want to argue and tell u how wrong and misguided you are if you dont believe in shaking hands with men or whatever the case may be.
I really dont want to scare u away from egypt as my previous post may have done, because i know most foreigners really love it here, i am only speaking for myself, and u will probably love it too. it all depends on what u want out of it all.
different strokes for different folks. and i am living in a small city outside cairo, so my experience is much different than the usual persons, because most folks are living in cairo, which has its conveniences but i cant tolerate the pollution , noise and congestion.
you really need to come see for yourself, my perception is very different than most i think.

--------------------
cracked

Posts: 209 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonomod
Member # 3864

Rate Member
quote:

*Were there many English-speaking International students?
*How much is tuition (and extra fees)?
*How is the education (seen from the point of view of an Anglophone)? I guess this has to do with reputation too... Anything about the U that might be interesting please!

Thank you!!

AUC is resonable when it comes to tuitiion.

But as a Canadian it might be expensive to you, but for myself it looks about mid-range.

http://www.umabroad.umn.edu/programs/AFRICA/cairo/datesandFees.shtml

I know if you are married to an Egyptian you pay fees/tuition that an Egyptian would pay to go there, maybe a slight increase over what an Egyptian citizen would pay.

All classes are taught in English and the AUC is accredited through the US State Department.

Corvinous
Member # 6578

quote:

Do you have Canadian Blanket too ? it is too cold in canada so I guess you are gonna need Double Balnket LOL

[Big Grin]

Nice try LOL

Candace
Member # 10177

Rate Member
cravings, I do understand that you have different feelings on Egypt as other people might have. I was there for 5- weeks this winter and I really liked it. But I have to admit that the pollution in Cairo and the lack of space to walk would probably bother me a little(I take hour-long walks daily in the "nicer" seasons here).

Sono, thanks for the information. But considering that it is 1 650$ per year at Quebec universities (which peobably goes up to 3 500$ with all the fees, but still not THAT much), the 15 000$ or more is really not something I can afford. I can afford maybe a third of that. It's too bad because I would really like to go there.

Corvinous, I'm not sure I understand your message. But speaking of blankets, when I was in Egypt this winter, I was sleeping with three thick blankets and my then boyfriend/fiance and his mom were laughing at me about it, thinking that being in Egypt where it's a lot warmer than in Canada, I might not even sleep with any blankets. They themselves used only one thinner one. The story went around the family. "Ha-ha. Are you sure she's Canadian??" [Razz]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com