EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » Tourists in Egyptian jails - Why? Religion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tourists in Egyptian jails - Why? Religion?
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 4 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody,

recently an Egyptian friend of mine warned me that Egyptian authorities only allowed foreign tourists to enter Egypt 2-3 times IF they have a "strange" religion. After that who knows what would happen to them?? (his words)

So have you heard stories about foreign people with "strange" religions being hassled by police or other governmental apparatuses in Egypt?

And can it be dangerous to stay in Egypt because one is affiliated with "strange" religions?

And p.s. my passport does not state what is my religion but how about the electronic bar on it? What information are they recieveing exactly when they scan that thing at the airport?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking about religions like buddhism, baha'í, hinduism, some christian churches, ect.
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes but what if you come repeatedly, maybe as a tourist only, but will the authorities start looking at this as something else because of the religion??
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:
yes but what if you come repeatedly, maybe as a tourist only, but will the authorities start looking at this as something else because of the religion??

How do they know what religion you are? [Confused] I don't think I was asked that on my visa.....
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

That is my thinking exactly "How can they know my religion?"

What information do they get through the electronic bar on the passport?

anthropos
Member # 9410

"disappeared" ??? Yes that is exactly what I do not want!

I hear all the time about people disappearing in Egypt, be they Egyptian or foreign.

anthropos
Member # 9410

anthropos
Member # 9410

Look at this extract for example about Baha'ís in Egypt:

"Law 263 of 1960, still in force, bans Baha'i institutions and community activities, and a 1961 Presidential decree stripped Baha'is of legal recognition. During the Nasser era, the Government confiscated all Baha'i community properties, including Baha'i centers, libraries, and cemeteries. The problems of Baha'is, who number fewer than 2,000 persons in the country, were compounded when the MOI began to upgrade its automation of civil records, including national identity cards. The Government has asserted that its new software requires all citizens to be categorized as Muslims, Christians, or Jews. Baha'is and other religious groups who do not fit into any of these categories have been compelled either to misrepresent themselves as members of one of these three religions or to go without valid identity documents. Most Baha'is have chosen the latter course. The Government's unwillingness to issue Baha'is identity cards and other necessary documents made it increasingly difficult for Baha'is to register their children in school, to open bank accounts, and to register businesses. Baha'is at age 16 face additional problems under Law 143/1994, which makes it mandatory for all citizens to obtain a new identification card featuring a new National Identification number. Police, often on public buses, conduct random inspections of identity papers, and those found without their identity card are regularly detained until the document is provided to the police. Some Baha'is, unable to receive identity cards, frequently stay home to avoid police scrutiny and possible arrest.

In May 2004, the Government confiscated the identity cards of two Baha'is who were applying for passports. Officials told them that they were acting on instructions from the MOI to confiscate any identity cards belonging to Baha'is.

During the reporting period, some Baha'is reported that government representatives offered to issue them passports, but no other documents. The Baha'i leadership noted that while this would enable them to leave the country, it would not facilitate their continued residence in the country.

Despite the Government's claim that it is unable to issue identity documents without Jewish, Christian, or Muslim designation, there is evidence that, on rare occasion, the Ministry of Interior has issued documents that list a citizen's religion as "other" or "—-" or simply do not include mention of religion.

In 1997, a human rights activist filed a lawsuit seeking the removal of the religious affiliation category from government identification cards. The plaintiff challenged the constitutionality of a 1994 decree by the MOI governing the issuance of new identification cards. A hearing scheduled for February 25, 2005, never took place. The court informed the attorney for the plaintiff that the case documents had been withdrawn and forwarded to the president of the State's Council, a highly unusual procedure. A new hearing date was set for October 14.

During a nationally televised interview on April 26, President Mubarak stated that as far as he was concerned "Muslim, Copt and Jew are one and the same—they are all citizens of this country with no difference between them." However, he made no reference to citizens having other beliefs, such as Baha'is or agnostics."

read more about other groups and their mistreatment in Egypt here

anthropos
Member # 9410

What if I wanted to live in Egypt?
anthropos
Member # 9410

If I am married to an Egyptian citizen and residing in Egypt I will not need to have an Egyptian ID card?
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anthropos,

I don't know ya at all, though you have insipired me a huge idea to use in some affair, keep up the good work [Wink]

THANKS [Big Grin]

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com