EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Living in Egypt » artichokes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: artichokes
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I brought home some fresh artichokes. I am staring at them now. Does anyone know how to cook them because I sure as hell have no idea!
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minry, you cook them in water, just WATER until they are ready. prepare a dip that consists of oil, dill, salt, hot pepper and chilly if you want. Now, pull the cooked leaves of the artichokes, put them in the prepared dip and eat the white part. Once you reach the heart, clean it from the fuzzy hairs, and dip it in your sauce and eat it, it is the nicest part of all anyway..

Enjoy...

I terribly miss the artichokes season in Egypt :-(

Posts: 275 | From: the Globe | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sohyla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok thanks. I am going to try it now. I will be back on later and let you know how it went!
Posts: 516 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe

Incredible, Low-fat appetizer.. Perfect for any party or appetizer for a great meal. Very creamy, cheesey and full of robust flavor

2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts (drained, chopped)
1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
1 (8 ounce) package fat free cream cheese
5 ounces frozen chopped spinach
tortilla chips

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
Combine 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, sour cream, 2 tbs Parmesan, and next 6 ingredients.
Blend well.
Spoon mix into baking dish.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tbl Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Serve with tortilla chips or browned pita wedges.

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds very complicated smuckers. Well, but why not [Smile]
Posts: 275 | From: the Globe | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no not really, just mix it all together and bake, and WOW just watch everyone devour it!
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
sounds delicious to me, but complicated to make. will I be invited for a Spinach Artichoke Dip any soon? [Wink]
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
ok..............I'm still on the cooking the artichoke part.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

hey Minry! If it comes out good will you invite me and Farstar?? [Big Grin]
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Sure why not. I love company
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Paint me, how do you open them?
I always bought them from the stores in jars, how do you cook a real artichoke?

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okey I know its a stupid question.. but are you guys talking about artichoke-the-vegetable or artichoke-the-fish?
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

veggie [Wink]
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
we are talking about the vegetable !!!
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank God.. I had a near death experience when i had artichoke-the-fish!! do not order artichoke pizza without making sure it is the veggie!!
Posts: 2519 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Farstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Minry, I am ready for the artichokes. Are they ready????
seabreeze
Member # 10289

do you mean anchovies??
Farstar
Member # 9772

Rate Member
i guess she means anchoves!!! [Smile]
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EASY!! I grew up in Carmel California just outside of Castroville, the "Arichoke capitol of the world"

the easiest prep is to steam them.

Cut the stems down till they are flat to the base of the "choke"

Fill a large pot with water and put a "steaming tray" that will come just to waters top.

cover pot and bring to a rolling boil, add garlic cloves or lemon to the water to taste.

take kitchen shears and trim the "spines" or points off the outside leaves. Use a spoon-back to open the center of the "choke. use your fingers to remove the smaller leaves from the middle.

Steam 30-40 minutes. Or until a fork goes gently into the base of the choke. (remaining base-stem)

While choke is steaming prepare dips for the leaves out of )butter garlic and lemon) (mayo lemon caper) (mayo dill)

When choke is done steaming let it sit for 10 minutes to cool, outer leaves should pull easily from the vegetable.

pull leaves from the choke and dip the "meaty" end into one of your sauces and use your teeth to scrape the flesh from the leaf. When all leves are finished you will be to the "heart", use a spoon or knife to clean the soft "hairs" from the heart of the choke (THE BEST PART!!) then eat the heart (base and remaining stem) with dipping into your fav sauce. The nutty but pleasant flavor will KNOCK YOU OUT!!! This is a great vegetable to prepare ahead of time and take cold with a vinagarette on a picnic. Good Luck!!!

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

yea those little fishies they sometimes put on pizza are horrible!! [Frown] but they are fish.
this artichoke is a vegetable, hmmm but it might be good on pizza!

Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Lol yeah I mean anchovies.. hehe.. i thought it was a artichoke pizza.. i guess I have dyslexia!!
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmogirl:
EASY!! I grew up in Carmel California just outside of Castroville, the "Arichoke capitol of the world"

Fill a large pot with water and put a "steaming tray" that will come just to waters top.

cover pot and bring to a rolling boil, add garlic cloves or lemon to the water to taste.

take kitchen shears and trim the "spines" or points off the outside leaves. Use a spoon-back to open the center of the "choke. use your fingers to remove the smaller leaves from the middle.

Steam 30-40 minutes. Or until a fork goes gently into the base of the choke. (remaining base-stem)

While choke is steaming prepare dips for the leaves out of )butter garlic and lemon) (mayo lemon caper) (mayo dill)

When choke is done steaming let it sit for 10 minutes to cool, outer leaves should pull easily from the vegetable.

pull leaves from the choke and dip the "meaty" end into one of your sauces and use your teeth to scrape the flesh from the leaf. When all leves are finished you will be to the "heart", use a spoon or knife to clean the soft "hairs" from the heart of the choke (THE BEST PART!!) then eat the heart (base and remaining stem) with dipping into your fav sauce. The nutty but pleasant flavor will KNOCK YOU OUT!!! This is a great vegetable to prepare ahead of time and take cold with a vinagarette on a picnic. Good Luck!!!

wow excellent info! This should really help you Minry!
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that why they say, "Eat your heart out?"
I can't wait to find out how they came out.
I love artichokes, and artichoke is so so so good on pizza. I do it on white pizza, - just oil, mozarella, fresh parmesano reggiano, feta cheese and maybe some sundried tomatoes and ROSEMARY. Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and come on over!

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mi feng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so hungry now.
[Razz]

Posts: 1161 | From: wo xiang xiao bian ji si le | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
quote:

wow excellent info! This should really help you Minry!
Yes ......... 2 bad I read it AFTER I made them!
Sohyla
Member # 8287

Member Rated:
Well........ First of all I trimmed the leaves and cut the artichoke down the center and took all the little hairs out before I steamed it. I put lemon slices over the top and put some butter between the leaves. When they were done the heart was good, but the so-called "meaty" part on the bottom of the leaves was not there! It is a lot of work for the amount of food you get. I will try it again tommorrow.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

are you supposed to cook many??
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paint Me As I Am:
quote:
Originally posted by minry80:
ok..............I'm still on the cooking the artichoke part.

///////

mmmm, i do like artichokes, i use to go to the artichoke festival every year that we had in are area- some ppl deep fry them in a batter--bake--or boil and use as a spread..

let us know how it comes out?

Welcome Back Paint, we missed ya [Smile]
Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Serendipity
Member # 7211

Member Rated:
Hey Paint me.. I miss you sooooooo much [Frown] [Frown]
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QueenBee, I am definitely ready to have pizza at your house!!! I love artichoke hearts on pizza. yum!! [Smile]

I've never been to the artichoke festival, though I have been to the garlic festival. Pardon me if I wasn't too interested in garlic ice cream though. [Big Grin]

Minry, good luck for tomorrow. [Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is artichoke ???

--------------------
No papa! No mama! No whisky soda!

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a yummy vegetable

[Smile]

http://images.google.com/images?q=artichoke&hl=en

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Thank ya.

--------------------

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is exactly how an old ex of mine from Chile used to eat them....he would use homemade mayonnaise as the dip.

[Smile]

quote:

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvinous
Member # 6578

What is the similar of that vegetable in Tanzania ?!

--------------------

Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love artichokes AND anchovies on pizza. Yum yum.
Anchovies on toast with really fresh tomato and a bit of basil or spring onion yuuuuuum.
I had a nice soup made from artichokes. Dont know what else was involved, but it was smooth soup.Kind of nutty creamy bitey taste.
Anyone know artichoke soup recipe?

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anchovies??? [Eek!]

[Smile]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wow, you're lucky! It's such a beautiful place. [Smile]
Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia
Member # 1230

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
This is exactly how an old ex of mine from Chile used to eat them....he would use homemade mayonnaise as the dip.

That's exactly how my mother prepares artichokes as well, including the homemade mayonaise dip with lots of garlic.

Miam ...

Posts: 2334 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mi feng
Member # 9378

Rate Member
Roasted vegetables:
4 Roma tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
4 whole artichoke hearts, on skewer
Vegetable oil
1 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup cream
Several sprigs cilantro, leaf only, chopped
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper

Suggested garnishes are Cotija or Manchego cheeses, toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts.

To prepare grilled vegetables: Preheat a grill.
Coat vegetables lightly with oil, place on grill just away from the hottest spot. Turn occasionally with tongs to sear all surfaces. Remove to a dish to let cool. Reserve any juices that accumulate.

In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic with butter over medium heat, stirring. In a food processor, small chop the grilled vegetables. In saucepan with onion/garlic mixture, add vegetable stock, cream, grilled vegetables, and cilantro. Bring to simmer, stir to heat evenly. Combine cornstarch and water in a small separate bowl. Slowly add to saucepan while stirring to combine. The sauce will thicken slightly in 1 to 2 minutes to desired consistency. Add more cornstarch or water if necessary.

Add salt, dash with pepper, to taste. Serve with suggested garnishes, if desired.

***Is it annoying to post a whole recipe here? Okay, this recipe requires that you roast the veggies, or grill them, first.
Its a bisque, so maybe like the creme d'artichoke you had Melati? I have one for creamy artichoke soup, but I didn't want to copy it out from cookbook, this one is from a restaurant, with amounts reduced for home cooking.

Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Queen bee. Im gonna win housewife of the year now! Well-I DO give the award to myself acttuallyy!!!!!!!!Ultimate nepotism hehe.
Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melati, will this help, very easy to make and full of goodness

Artichoke Casserole: (a bit like a soup)

Preparation: Remove any tough or damaged leaves from outside. Cut of Stalk and slice into quarters lengthways and discard the hairy centres.

Boil the artichokes and any other vegetables you wish to use for 10 mins, drain and put into Casserole dish with wine, stock and fresh seasonings in moderate oven for 1 hour until tender.

If you just want a quick easy snack with Artichokes, same as before with the Preparation, boil for 5 mins, sprinkle with cheese and loads of black ground pepper and put under grill, delicious

Hope these of some help to you.

Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Low-fat appetizer..

mozzarella cheese, sour cream , parmesan cheese, cream cheese, cream cheese (again), spinach tortilla chips

Moahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahaahahhahahaha

What do you actually understand under "low-fat"?

W'kaman appetizer?

I bet you look in real life exactly like Chram el-Feikh's Avatar!! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade mayonnaise? [Smile] Dalia?
seabreeze
Member # 10289

does anyone have recipe for homemade brown sugar??
daria1975
Member # 6244

oh, somebody posted that a month or so ago....I can't remember where, though.
Karena
Member # 9835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoozing here is a recipe for homemade mayonnaise:

1 whole egg
1/4 teaspoon dry English mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of tarragon vingar or lemon juice
1/4 pint olive, cornor nut oil.

Preparation:

Put the egg, mustard, salt and vinegar or lemon into the blender and blend until well mixed. With the blender still on, add the oil slowly through the hole in the lid, drop by drop at first, gradually increasing the addition of the oil until the mayonnaise begins to thicken. At this point the oil can be added in a thin steady stream.

Its delicious!!

Sorry Smuckers, I do not have have a recipe for Brown sugar, if I find one, I will let you know.

Posts: 200 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:
Low-fat appetizer..

mozzarella cheese, sour cream , parmesan cheese, cream cheese, cream cheese (again), spinach tortilla chips

Moahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahaahahhahahaha

What do you actually understand under "low-fat"?

W'kaman appetizer?

I bet you look in real life exactly like Chram el-Feikh's Avatar!! [Roll Eyes]

MyKingdom, the idea is not to eat this kind of stuff all of the time. You eat in moderation and eat this type of fatty foods occasionally. Naturally if you eat it everyday you will look like Chram el-Feikh's Avatar.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Karena:
Snoozing here is a recipe for homemade mayonnaise:

1 whole egg
1/4 teaspoon dry English mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of tarragon vingar or lemon juice
1/4 pint olive, cornor nut oil.

Preparation:

Put the egg, mustard, salt and vinegar or lemon into the blender and blend until well mixed. With the blender still on, add the oil slowly through the hole in the lid, drop by drop at first, gradually increasing the addition of the oil until the mayonnaise begins to thicken. At this point the oil can be added in a thin steady stream.

Its delicious!!

Sorry Smuckers, I do not have have a recipe for Brown sugar, if I find one, I will let you know.

thanks Karena, I found a recipe myself, you basically take regular sugar and add molassas until you get the color the way you want it. I'll try it out soon. I would try this recipe for maynonnaise but I can't use eggs right now with the flu (achoo!)
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SO for real, since this thread started, I have become a bit of an artichoke addict. The WHole Foods Market has had them on sale 2 for $5.00 for the whole time and I've had like 5 of them since this thing started.

Dont get me started on the homemade mayo....

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com